2012 Ironman

GSNieP

Tough Day, PE crowd was amazing.

Saw a guy getting DQed about 1.5km from the finish for outside assistance when his friend (not competitor) ran with him-now that is heartbreaking.

I am all for rules but the way the refs talk/shout at athlete's was the only negative.

Ja wear the shoe if it fits you I guess. In the Supersport 70.3 East Londen broadcast it was quite funny when they interviewed the one guy while he was in the penalty tent for a drafting-penalty whilst in the background Argus-like group speeded past....

I also know of instances when mechanics assisted lady athletes physically in fixing their bikes (refer to the 70.3 thread a few months back). Half the challenge I guess is not to get caught or at least not let RIP van Winkel see you....

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ja wear the shoe if it fits you I guess. In the Supersport 70.3 East Londen broadcast it was quite funny when they interviewed the one guy while he was in the penalty tent for a drafting-penalty whilst in the background Argus-like group speeded past....

I also know of instances when mechanics assisted lady athletes physically in fixing their bikes (refer to the 70.3 thread a few months back). Half the challenge I guess is not to get caught or at least not let RIP van Winkel see you....

I do not see why the mechanics are not allowed to help you fix your bike. I am told that they do help in over seas races. You there to test your endurance , not your mechanical skills.

I do not see why the mechanics are not allowed to help you fix your bike. I am told that they do help in over seas races. You there to test your endurance , not your mechanical skills.

Agree fully. In overseas IM shows they actually use the whole mechanic-Ford thingy as marketing material. But like I say, there are double standards in IM SA's races. I have experienced it first hand as well. As you say, you test endurance, not mechanical skills. Maybe the pros are different I dont know. In any case they discriminate as it is normally not the P4's or Trek Concept's that breaks down....

In IMSA last year they had official mechanics on the course helping people. Indeed they helped get me up and running when I broke a spoke and my wheel went so out of true I could not continue.

Could not agree more.

Yet they DQ people when another person/supporter runs beside you?

I kind of understand this rule because imagine if everyone on the run sunddely had a mate or two running with them, it would be chaos.

However, to DQ a BOPer (I assume) because he had someone running along side him right near the end of the race just sounds like poor implementation of the rules. I guess though you need 1 rule for everyone.

If I were marshalling and it wasn't a guy going for the podium or an AG podium then I think just a "hey stop that" would be sufficient, followed by a time penalty if they didn't listen. I mean to take a finish away from a guy for something that has no impact on the rest of the race is just not in the spirit!

Yet they DQ people when another person/supporter runs beside you?

I had a friend start running next to me last year. I told him hat he could get me DQ.I ended up having to tell him to F off, all he wanted to do was to encourage me.If the SHE ref had of seen that then I would have been DQ. They need to apply their brains to the situations.

If I were marshalling and it wasn't a guy going for the podium or an AG podium then I think just a "hey stop that" would be sufficient, followed by a time penalty if they didn't listen. I mean to take a finish away from a guy for something that has no impact on the rest of the race is just not in the spirit!

How do you know who is going for AG podium? Never the less your reasoning is 100%.

16. Each contestant is individually responsible for the repair and maintenance of their own bike. Assistance by anyone, other than

IRONMAN technical support officials will be grounds for disqualification. Each cyclist should be prepared to handle any possible

mechanical malfunction. Technical support DOES NOT include the normal changing of flat tyres.

They do have a team of mechanics that ride around on the course.

I still think being DQ for littering when you drop your peak? That peak would have been gone in 5 minutes flat. Major fail.

16. Each contestant is individually responsible for the repair and maintenance of their own bike. Assistance by anyone, other than

IRONMAN technical support officials will be grounds for disqualification. Each cyclist should be prepared to handle any possible

mechanical malfunction. Technical support DOES NOT include the normal changing of flat tyres.

They do have a team of mechanics that ride around on the course.

We were told that they may advise you , give you spares and you have to do the repairs yourself.