2012 Ironman

GSNieP

Would just like to extend my congratulations to all the athletes who completed the Specsavers IronMan 2012. We certainly earned our stripes out there :)

Secondly to the people of Port Elizabeth you guys rock, wow what an amazing turnout considering the conditions. Thank you, I am sure if it had not been for the support of the PE people many would have thrown in the towel.

Thirdly to the volunteers all of you (except the one guy sleeping on the side of the road up toward mount pleasant) were outstanding on the day and Thank you for looking after us.

As for the guy who got a DQ I ran past him when the ref was explaining to him that he was getting a DQ because his mate running alongside him was considered as pacing. I heard a few of the spectators telling the Ref that he was an asshole and should just f off and go home. Not sure if the ref did actually do that or did in fact DQ the participant. I really think that he should maybe have just rather explained that it was not legal asked the friend to stay where he was and just moved on.

Anyways congratulations to all those who can now say they are an IronMan!!

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This year’s IRONMAN was not about times, it was about finishing and surviving the elements thrown at us during the whole day and night!

Some interesting comments about the swim distance being around 5km according to Garmin. My 910XT also measured 4.8km...

Edited by DawieO

Some interesting comments about the swim distance being around 5km according to Garmin. My 910XT also measured 4.8km...

GPSs are notoriously inaccurate in water while swimming. The only effective way to use them is to put them inside your swim cap on your head. The dude at DCRainmaker.com did some cool research.

If you download your track will probably show that you swam all over the place.

Swim course was in the same place as previous years. The conditions were just as horrible as you can get.

Whether you swam 3.8km or 5km you still have my admiration for sticking it out. Watching from the end of the pier, I was rather glad to give this years race a miss.

Edited by davem

Yeah, I used to put my 310 in my cap. 910 needs to be on the arm so the accelerometers can get your stroke metrics. They have improved the swim tracking algorithm also in the 910. I have no doubt the actual course was spot on, and the current and wind was pushing us around all over the show. Spent a fair amount of time just trying to get those darned buoys to come closer :)

I've tested my 910XT on my wrist with open water swimming a few times and it is pretty accurate. Also measured my IM swim at 4.7km. If you look at the photos of the swim it is easy to see how you can swim an additional 1km. It will probably be exactly 3.8km when to take the shortes distance from buoy to buoy.

i know that the one buoy was dragged .So I am sure you did swim a bit further

The bike turnaround point also got moved by +- 150m, although it made the bike trip slightly shorter, definitely did not compensate for the buoy move. I am so glad I did not do this IM - doubt if I would have made that swim...

The bike turnaround point also got moved by +- 150m, although it made the bike trip slightly shorter, definitely did not compensate for the buoy move. I am so glad I did not do this IM - doubt if I would have made that swim...

The Garmin files I've seen show the bike route as only ~177k in total.

• 2 weeks later...

The Garmin files I've seen show the bike route as only ~177k in total.

Then you need to return your medals as none of you completed a real IM!! :whistling:

Then you need to return your medals as none of you completed a real IM!! :whistling:

I think that the guys who did it this year are TRUE ironman. SA has never had it so hard. I believe St George was even more difficult.

I guess thats why its called Iron Man and not Iron Men....

Anyone remember the old Leppin Iron Man event, where participants were allowed a second who could run with the whole way AND a car was also allowed to follow on the run route. Used to be a whole family event in those days :thumbup:

Yea i remember that, My Pops did this years ago at Stinky dam and it was a great event.

I guess thats why its called Iron Man and not Iron Men....

Anyone remember the old Leppin Iron Man event, where participants were allowed a second who could run with the whole way AND a car was also allowed to follow on the run route. Used to be a whole family event in those days :thumbup:

Yea i remember that, My Pops did this years ago at Stinky dam and it was a great event.

GPSs are notoriously inaccurate in water while swimming. The only effective way to use them is to put them inside your swim cap on your head. The dude at DCRainmaker.com did some cool research.

If you download your track will probably show that you swam all over the place.

Swim course was in the same place as previous years. The conditions were just as horrible as you can get.

Whether you swam 3.8km or 5km you still have my admiration for sticking it out. Watching from the end of the pier, I was rather glad to give this years race a miss.

Here's another example of the 910's inaccuracy in logging swim distance and/or course:

http://www.cape-hike.co.za/garmin-forerunner-910xt/

Amazing feat to have finished this year's IM. You guys and girls are really Irons!

Personally I think once the wind turned on the second lap the currents got stronger and we just swam all over the place. At one stage on the way back it felt like I was swimming on the spot