Stop the meaningless medals! Please donate the money at the end of the Race.

kandui

Why not just send you a certificate of completion? Your time and place on it, they can email it to you

Edited by Sharkie 2

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think the cotton badges are the coolest. Sew them on to your Camelbak , like the Backpackers with the rucksacks full of country badges. Old School!

we used to get these in school after cross-country events...

thanks for the trip down memory lane

I still think the cotton badges are the coolest. Sew them on to your Camelbak , like the Backpackers with the rucksacks full of country badges. Old School!

Old skool ... Nice! Have a couple that have been stitched to an old drimac years back. Still love the Rhodes challenge one.

I have declined all but 1 medal in the last 3 years.

They have no value to me, and my loved one throws them away if I take them home anyway.

The Idea of a free photo per event excites me a lot more.

Or the key ring/bottle opener

Just incase an organiser is reading this.

Oh, and I'm a user, just saying

I think this is a brilliant idea.

I agree!

No medal for me thanks Cape Epic, Comrades, Sani2c....

Dust collecters.

Photo memories are better than looking at a medal.

We are getting "nailed with entry fees" it would make it a lot easier paying, if some of it is going to a worthy cause.

Race orginizers need to start donating more to charities and please make the amounts known!

There is giving and GIVING!

R10 to a charity or R 10000. BIG difference, both can say they are donating!

I agree!

No medal for me thanks Cape Epic, Comrades, Sani2c....

Dust collecters.

Photo memories are better than looking at a medal.

We are getting "nailed with entry fees" it would make it a lot easier paying, if some of it is going to a worthy cause.

Race orginizers need to start donating more to charities and please make the amounts known!

There is giving and GIVING!

R10 to a charity or R 10000. BIG difference, both can say they are donating!

Have you actually looked at what race events put back into the communities? Think you would be surprised.

How about a pair of socks with the race name and year instead of a medal? Socks are always useful and you can show off your prowess at the same time.

the problem is medals are something like R10 each, maybe R20, shirts(cheap rubbish that won't last you 4 months, R30), proper new balance shirts are R400? If we as race organisers have to raise the entry fee for proper gifts for you to enter, then WERE GONNA HAVE A 100 PAGE FIGHT OVER RACE COSTS AGAIN! Any suggestions for race 'gifts' in place of medals.

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie and still like the medals, I know that I will get to stage where I don't want medals. The problem in the cycling community is that the old timers think that what they say or suggest are a representation of the rest of the cycling community. It seems to me that cycling is becoming a sport where a lot of guys get a chance to moan about nonsense, chill out guys and enjoy the sport.

I'm an oldie and I still like the medals! Although nowadays they tend to be timeless generics for a series, then just the year on the strap.

Just a small old joke not too far off topic.

Van is a war hero. Flew planes for the RAF. He's getting decorated.The general is old and a bit senile.

" Well done done Cpt. van der Merwe. You uhm.... you uh... shot down a plane. "

" My General ,I do protest. I shot down TEN Focke Wulfs."

"Well .....you're only getting ONE focke medal.

Have you actually looked at what race events put back into the communities? Think you would be surprised.

+1 the races have already added the charities in before you ride, so, if you don't like medals, don't take it. We'll keep it for next year.

Forgot to tell the author to stop doing meaningless races giving you meaningless medals. :devil:

If you want to get clever, please read my OP properly. No mention made of meaningless races. I enjoy every event I enter.

Like another post says, the medals themselves are becoming more generic and simplified. Some of them are just a hunk of metal with the name of the race, not even a year and the ribbon comes undone. When I get those I think to myself, Why bother?

My Epic medal at least looks like a quality piece of workmanship (it better be, considering the cost to take part). My medal for the Apple Blossom race in Grabouw is just a vague Apple shape with some letters stamped into it. Looks cheap and nasty.

Rather than make a half arsed effort with a medal, give me something practical or better made to remember the race by.

For those who say the novices or the kids are stoked to get a medal for their efforts, I still think a lekker embroidered badge which you sew on to your tracksuit jacket, Camelbak or favourite pre- or post- race jacket is the perfect memento to remember your achievement by. A Camelbak or jacket plasterded full of badges is the coolest thing and you can wear it and show off your achievement at the same time. Perfect.