POWER METERS: Crank, Hub or Pedal-based?

'Dale

Thanx for the sales tip, Edman.

Now for my monitor:

Is the Quarg unit available yet?

Or should I just opt for Garmin?

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx for the sales tip, Edman.

Now for my monitor:

Is the Quarg unit available yet?

Or should I just opt for Garmin?

The Quarq unit is a Garmin 500 just branded as such.....

The Quarq unit is a Garmin 500 just branded as such.....

I remember when they first started, Quarq were planning to create their own, open source head unit. But I think they've now abandoned that.

It can use any ANT+ head unit. I've used it with an Edge 705 and 800, a PC with a USB ANT+ dongle and an iPod Touch with the Wahoo ANT+ dongle. If you've got a phone with an ANT+ chip (e.g. most of the Sony Ericsson Xperia range) you can even use that.

It can use any ANT+ head unit. I've used it with an Edge 705 and 800, a PC with a USB ANT+ dongle and an iPod Touch with the Wahoo ANT+ dongle. If you've got a phone with an ANT+ chip (e.g. most of the Sony Ericsson Xperia range) you can even use that.

Thanx again, edman.

*two thumbs*

Just note that some head units, like the Bryton does ANT+ but does not do Power readings. Don't know of any other though....

Or that is what I have been told

http://www.quarq.com/i/store/large/sram-red-quarq-web.jpg

Now to figure out which crankset is the best option.

This is where I get dizzy. :blush:

I ride BB30 on my Cannondale Hi-Mod.

Options from the quarg website:

• 53/39 and 50/34
  • 170mm, 172.5mm, 175mm and 177mm
  • GXP (fits GXP, Press Fit GXP) and BB30 (fits BB30, Press Fit 30, BBright)

Edited by ' Dale

Garmin has announced yet another delay for its much anticipated Vector pedal-based power meter.

"As with any Garmin product it is always our attempt to ensure that it meets the highest standard of quality—such is the case with Vector," Garmin media relations representative Justin McCarthy told Cyclingnews. "In doing so, it has taken longer than expected. We are 100-percent committed to bringing this highly anticipated power meter to cycling shops around the world and will be doing so this summer."

Worth waiting for?

:whistling:

Edited by ' Dale

Sounds worth the wait...

From cyclingnews.

...Vector will be worth the wait. "The Vector power solution combined with one of Garmin’s Edge cycling computers really will bring cycling to a whole new level," he said. "This pedal-based power meter installs in minutes and easily transfers between bikes. Weighing far less than most other power meters on the market, Vector won’t weigh riders down while accurately measuring cadence and total power, as well as independent left and right leg power.

"We are thrilled to provide users the opportunity to analyze this robust data through Garmin Connect so they too can take their training to new places," he continued. "Gone will be the days of boring workouts and difficult set up and maintenance. Garmin Vector will indeed be a game changer and we can’t wait until riders have it in their hands and under their feet this summer."

Edited by ' Dale

The long awaited Garmin / Vector system, is that only going to be a road pedal option?

Bummer if it is, just started using my mtb shoes / pedals (Time atac) on my road bike...