Radio dj complaining about cyclists

Cippo

On a Cape Town radio station this morning a dj was complaining about cyclists that ride two or three abreast, and large groups that take over the roads. Him and his radio team were complaining as well when most people do ask the cyclists to move over politely they get zapped with a finger or shouted at. Other complaints as well was certain cyclists have no regard for the rules of the road. Although he understood that there is an increase in cyclists on the road due to Argus training this kind o behaviour us unacceptable. He especially pointed out Boyes drive as an example. He did however point out that he was not generalising and has all the years been an avid supporter of cyclists but that was dwindling now and the response from some listeners was that a few cause all of us to be painted wih the brush. i know this problem has been discussed to death here but it seems its not just us that are seeing the problem. What do the hubbers think?

Edited by Super Mario

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are our own worst enemies, but even despite this some will flame, demand their rights and protest or justify innocence here shortly.

Even despite what exactly? Despite you repeating the 'our own worst enemies' chestnut for the 57 millionth time on this website?

I bow before the power of your rhetoric.

The annual bike-dusting Argus brigade tend to ride like clowns and cock it up for the rest of us. What can we do?

Having said that, I must again state the obvious. Life has many challenges. For me included. Driving around bunches of cyclists must rank pretty low down on the list. I can't say it's something that has slowed my progress in this world by more than a few seconds in the past 38 years.

The problem is not the cyclist and it is not the driver,

it is the egocentric - immature - emotionally challenged individual.

So lets find some way to help these people.

I've seen this same behaviour in JHB. Road cyclists riding 3 and 4 abreast and getting aggro with motorists that ask them to move over (it seems that other than the legs, their middle fingers are the most excercised body part). Despite what the Road Traffic Act says, riding in bunches on busy roads, swearing and gesticulating at motorists and generally acting like douche bags is no way to win the favour of fellow road users - its also no way to improve the already bad image of cyclists in the minds of motorists.

Having said that, I must again state the obvious. Life has many challenges. For me included. Driving around bunches of cyclists must rank pretty low down on the list. I can't say it's something that has slowed my progress in this world by more than a few seconds in the past 38 years.

LL you missed the nail and just smacked your thumb stukkend

On a Cape Town radio station this morning a dj was complaining about cyclists that ride two or three abreast, and large groups that take over the roads. Him and his radio team were complaining as well when most people do ask the cyclists to move over politely they get zapped with a finger or shouted at. Other complaints as well was certain cyclists have no regard for the rules of the road. Although he understood that there is an increase in cyclists on the road due to Argus training this kind o behaviour us unacceptable. He especially pointed out Boyes drive as an example. He did however point out that he was not generalising and has all the years been an avid supporter of cyclists but that was dwindling now and the response from some listeners was that a few cause all of us to be painted wih the brush. i know this problem has been discussed to death here but it seems its not just us that are seeing the problem. What do the hubbers think?

Yawn.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

What? You were expecting a comment from me? I am with eccentric on this..

F*&()! inconsiderate cyclists!

the real issue here is the fact that the local media tends to play this one up and often overlook the issue that while everyone drives and behaves like buffoons on the road cyclists and pedestrians are the most exposed to serious injury or death every time they're out on the road.

i took it a little to heart last year in a letter to a local community newspaper when they printed an article showing photo's of motorists disobeying the law around cyclists who were doing no wrong - the article blatantly defended the actions of the motorists - i was pretty pissed as it's this kind of public attention that makes it more dangerous for me every time i go out on the road on my bike.

Maybe it was Niner :whistling:

IMO nothing said by the talk show host that iv'e not heard from other's. He also said he is not generalizing about all cyclist behaving improper.

LL you missed the nail and just smacked your thumb stukkend

S'troo I tell you - they don't bother me. Everybody else loves to carp on about it. I don't get it. But then I also don't get why the annual Argus brigade rides so ***. Where I learned to ride in traffic they'd all be pancaked quick quick.

The problem is not the cyclist and it is not the driver,

it is the egocentric - immature - emotionally challenged individual.

So lets find some way to help these people.

+1