Rugby...

'Dale

Saturday's team:

15. Zane Kirchner, 14 Bryan Habana, 13 Jean de Villiers (captain), 12 Frans Steyn, 11 Francois Hougaard, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Juandre Kruger, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Beast Mtawarira.

Substitutes: 16 Tiaan Liebenberg, 17 Pat Cilliers, 18 Flip van der Merwe, 19 Francois Louw, 20 Johan Goosen, 21 Patrick Lambie, 22 Lwazi Mvovo

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturday's team:

15. Zane Kirchner, 14 Bryan Habana, 13 Jean de Villiers (captain), 12 Frans Steyn, 11 Francois Hougaard, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Marcell Coetzee, 5 Juandre Kruger, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Beast Mtawarira.

Substitutes: 16 Tiaan Liebenberg, 17 Pat Cilliers, 18 Flip van der Merwe, 19 Francois Louw, 20 Johan Goosen, 21 Patrick Lambie, 22 Lwazi Mvovo

Getting there slowly, just need to get rid of 10 and 15. Like the fact that Dwayne and Louw in the squad

Getting there slowly, just need to get rid of 10 and 15. Like the fact that Dwayne and Louw in the squad

What excites me most looking at the bench is it looks like Lambie on for Kirchner (who, by the way, I think has been one of the few players worthy of his spot on current form), and Goosen on for Morne Steyn, which puts Pienaar, Goosen and Frans Steyn next to each other. Now if the forwards can retain good ball and allow quick phases from the breakdown, that quarter and half back combination makes my mouth water ...

What happened to Bekker?

Rightfully he was dropped after his poor defensive show in Argentina. He looked out of sorts, and I read he may still have back problems. My simple take on it is he isn't bending his knees enough in the tackle and is instead bending over his hips which creates strain on his back and makes him ineffectual.

He looked out of sorts, and I read he may still have back problems.

I reckon all his problems started when he packed on all that weight a few seasons ago. It's unnatural and his bone structure wasn't happy with him.

I reckon all his problems started when he packed on all that weight a few seasons ago. It's unnatural and his bone structure wasn't happy with him.

I reckon it all happened when he started vrying another girl in the park and he got caught on camera

What weird day for Rugby

I just can't put my finger on what exactly went wrong with the Springboks. I think Mr Meyer is soon going to realize he has to start making better selections or else he is going to be history

Then CC is so unpredictable, Griquas beating the Sharks and lions beating the bulls at lofts after loosing to Griquas last weekend at home.

My read about the springboks is that meyer's bulls playing style is outdated and won't work in current day playing styles.

A huge difference when Lambie and Goosen came on. Finally some guys that knew how to run.

Meyer needs to stop being so arrogant and needs to catch up with trends or springbok rugby is in big trouble again. Atleast under Pieter de Villiers the springboks were exciting to watch...

Jean de Villiers is also not a good captain. To say that we are "getting there" in the post match interview after we conceded 20 points in the second half to lose the game, tells me that he is not cut out as a captain...

Edited by Octavian

I agree with most of what you said. The game plan is out dated and it is not working here. And if he is going to leave players like Lambie and Goosen out and stick with his favorites he is going to lose his job.

Regarding the captaincy I don't think you can be to harsh on Jean. If the coach is not fielding the best team and his game plan is not in order you cannot blame the on field captain. I think it is really unfair that he has to answer all the questions after the game

Regarding the captaincy I don't think you can be to harsh on Jean. If the coach is not fielding the best team and his game plan is not in order you cannot blame the on field captain. I think it is really unfair that he has to answer all the questions after the game

Fair comment about Jean. Maybe I am a bit harsh. Just don't get a good feeling about him as a captain though....

Fair comment about Jean. Maybe I am a bit harsh. Just don't get a good feeling about him as a captain though....

Who else would you put as the captain? Morn steyn or Pierre Spies?

Can I butt in a bit?

The HM gameplan won't work against the faster teams of today. This throwing the ball to a forward in the backline is outdated and easy to defend against. You just get 2 players to tackle the guy, one goes for the top and at the same time rips the ball from his arms, and the other guy goes for his legs. Hell, schoolboy coaches already teach that tactic to their boys. That is why we keep on loosing the ball and conceding turnovers. And we all know that forwards don't have the same ball handling skills as backs (mostly, there are some exceptions).

Also, forwards are usually slow on the sidestepping, so it's easy for smaller faster backs to get past them. How many times yesterday did Cooper and some of his mates manage to come past our guys, and our guy only manage to get a hand on them, nothing more.

Sorry, but our numbers 6 - 13 are too slow, and this will be shown up even more next week. I expect us to loose by at least 30 next week if it is a dry game, and by 15 if it is a wet game. Our only chance will be if it is a wet game and they have an off day with bad discipline.

Edited by Moridin

We got knocked by a Auzie side that is probably the worst side they had in years. We have a fairly new squad so maybe we should make peace that we will probably slot in around nr 4 in the world until these guys gain experience. Never been a big Mr Meyer fan to be honest

BTW, whilst we are down on the top teams anyway, I will make Goosen number 10 and captain at the same time. He seams to make decisions much faster than Steyn. Fast thinkers are players that usually make the better captains.

Edited by Moridin

Who else would you put as the captain? Morn steyn or Pierre Spies?

Oh god no! I think we need to be bold there and appoint a youngster there that will still be around during the world cup. It seems jean got the nod only because he is the oldest. I think when Bismarck is back, perhaps he might be the most suited...