Rugby...

'Dale

Looking forward to see Fourie in action. haven't seen him play for years!

Yes Jake (the cake) and the Brumbies. What a surprise. But it sounds like it's more about wanting an international couching role (not that the Brumbies is not an int. side)

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HKGK!!!

Guess who the next powerhouse in SA Rugby is gonna be.

He has been lurking around Newlands last few days .... but wishful thinking to think he would come here

Coach or director of coaching? What is the difference anyway?

Article seems vague - headline says coach but article says director.

I think the Director of Coaching has an overall job of handling coaching and continuity throughout all the various levels. Handles recruitment, developments ect. Whilst a coach will just 'coach' the players currently in the structure that the director creates.

I think the sharks are trying this system after Smit enjoyed it at sarries with Bredan Venter.

Coach = tracksuit ... Director of Coaching = suit.

Whatever it means, the Sharks (my least favorite of all the teams) will be dominating SA Rugby from now on.

Nothing's conclusive yet with jake and the Sharkies...

Let's see.

Btw there was no way that the Aussies would call up another SA coach to lead a national team after the scenario in cricket with Mickey Arthur.

Nothing confirmed yet, nice synopsis of the situation below:

The only confirmed fact that we have so far is that Jake White has been released from the final two years of his coaching gig at the Brumbies. Various sources have intimated that Jake asked to be released early after he couldn’t reconcile his disappointment over not getting the Australian national coaching post, despite being asked to apply. That, as far as I can tell, is really just speculation and since White himself hasn’t actually gone on the record about any of this, we simply don’t know what his motivation is at this stage.

It didn’t take long before the speculation-fueled media machine went into frenzy – the thinking being that “if Jake White is looking for a coaching job, then surely every South African franchise that exists must be falling over themselves to offer him a Director of Rugby position, regardless of whether somebody else currently fulfills that role for them.” He was immediately linked to both the Stormers and the Sharks, before WP quickly acted to deny that there was any interest from their side. That’s when the “Jake White will be Sharks Director of Rugby” stories started to appear.

Let’s be quite frank, though. Not a single one of those stories has any verifiable source – or even so much as a quote from anyone at the Sharks suggesting that Jake White has been appointed as so much as a tea lady. My reading of the situation is that the Sharks were just as surprised by White’s resignation yesterday as the Brumbies were.

All that we have to go on here is an expression of interest from Sharks CEO John Smit. Here’s what Smit sent me this morning:

“Bud, been inundated with calls about Jake, so let me just say that we have a definite plan for the Sharks. Could Jake White add value to our plans if available? Without doubt he could – he has an amazing track record and ability and we would welcome the opportunity to speak to him if it should arise.”

Now, that doesn’t sound to me like a confirmation that he’s the new Sharks coach, but according to Smit, the door is very much ajar should Jake be willing and able to play a role.

Some interesting weekend action in the Currie Cup:

Lions vs Sharks - I'm hoping for some more running rugby from both sides like last weekend. Tough to call, but on current form, perhaps the Lions by 5?

Bulls vs Griquas - Griquas have been playing too well to be stuck at the bottom of the log and the Bulls have been underperforming all season, but here the head and the heart differs. The Bulls by 10 points (if they can sort their scrum out and get rid of those handling errors)

WP vs Cheetahs - WP remains the only unbeaten side in the competition. I am hoping for another WP win, but wont be crying if the Cheetahs takes this one. Its never a bad thing to loose at least one of the pool games and 20 or 21 log points for the Cheetahs will keep some daylight between 4th and 5th on the log. The Bulls not making the play-offs would make me almost as happy as Province taking the Cup home again.