120mm Travel Giant Trance 29'er released

Hairy

What do you say  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What do you say

• Damned Right, where can I buy one!
    • Silliest thing ever to consider
    • Who would ever want/need more than a fully rigid 29'er

"that myth has been de-bunked by pretty much anyone who has ridden a modern-day 29er"

Oh really? Tread ran a feature in the last year where all their testers said that 29ers performed worse on corners.

Oh ya? Are you referring to the 29r feature a year or more back? ... There's also recognition from the same folk on the progress made by 29r in handling.

Double-D, my man, have another look at those 2 bikes there. Giant is nothing like the Spez.

The dynamics of frame manufacture will dictate that all bikes have similarities in design. Front triangle, rear triangle. Add 29er to the mix, and in order to get a low standover height together with longer travel, you will have those same lines on pretty much any FS 29er.

Also, the rear triangles are totally different. Giant has elected to have the shock mounted to an extension of the swingarm, whereas Spez have latched it onto the middle (well, almost) section of a linkage bar.

What I find most interesting is that Giant have done away with the MAESTRO suspension design for their Trance 29er... intriguing...

Wasn't a comparison to 29rs, just an illustration that the 120mm 29r trail bike is a reality.

I still say each to their own though, on whatever keeps them happy/comfortable/confident :)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't a comparison to 29rs, just an illustration that the 120mm 29r trail bike is a reality.

I still say each to their own though, on whatever keeps them happy/comfortable/confident :)

Cool.. just saw you had shown 2 bikes that might have looked a bit similar to the casual glance...

And damn, can't find anything about it on the webs, apart from those 2 links and some Bikerumour stuff...

When is it coming>?

With the Euro and Brit boys and girls who are also starting to take well onto the 29'er concept I can only imagine that more companies will be under pressure to get longer travel 29'er duallies out onto the market.

yeah. But for good reason, now. Kinda like the "turbo revolution" that we're seeing in cars now. Low capacity high efficiency turbo motors that are replacing the standard, naturally aspirated motors in the majority of cars coming out. It's a natural progression, but still viewed with supreme skepticism, and is not ideal for every application quite yet, due to design restrictions and so on.

I take just about everything bike mags say with a pinch, nay, a tablespoon of salt. A lot of manufacturers are dipping into the 120-13mm travel 29er market - I guess they're all wasting their money then, since these bikes are apparently going to suck on anything but a jeep track?

:whistling:

the 29er discussion is played out - a fair amount of 29er riders are evangelists that proclaim them as the future of mountain biking, while a fair portion of 26er riders know every "fault" of the 29er platform off by heart...

thankfully there are a few enlightened level headed blokes on both sides that just dig riding bikes :thumbup:

now say what you want but that Rocky Mountain Altitude 970 29" (120mm travel) speaks to me. :ph34r:

here are some delicious 29er full suss trailies, including the Rocky Mountain, the upcoming Commencal MetaAM 29, the upcoming PYGA OneTen, and the 135/140mm travel Spez Stumpy Evo 29er...

post-12904-0-96248100-1329749988.jpg

post-12904-0-89368200-1329749992.png

post-12904-0-53901900-1329749999.jpg

post-12904-0-45810800-1329750003.jpg

I take just about everything bike mags say with a pinch, nay, a tablespoon of salt. A lot of manufacturers are dipping into the 120-13mm travel 29er market - I guess they're all wasting their money then, since these bikes are apparently going to suck on anything but a jeep track?

:whistling:

the 29er discussion is played out - a fair amount of 29er riders are evangelists that proclaim them as the future of mountain biking, while a fair portion of 26er riders know every "fault" of the 29er platform off by heart...

thankfully there are a few enlightened level headed blokes on both sides that just dig riding bikes :thumbup:

now say what you want but that Rocky Mountain Altitude 970 29" (120mm travel) speaks to me. :ph34r:

Absolutely. 29ers aren't the solution to global warming. They're just another bike. One that has its own idiosyncracies, and that some people will prefer over a 26er. Doesn't make one better or worse.

Having said that, the 9er is scientifically superior if you're looking to traverse obstacles, roots or rocks. Or roll more easily, in other words. Irrefutable fact. Unless your name is Aladdin, that is

here are some delicious 29er full suss trailies, including the Rocky Mountain, the upcoming Commencal MetaAM 29, the upcoming PYGA OneTen, and the 135/140mm travel Spez Stumpy Evo 29er...

Saw the PYGA on the mountain yesterday, while we were building... very sweet looking bike.

Saw the PYGA on the mountain yesterday, while we were building... very sweet looking bike.

sweet. where was this? who was riding it?

It was Mark Hopkins, Pyga designer.. CSIXX maker, Pyga Partner and Leatt designer dude in the early years. Insane on the downhills..

Guess it is time to unveil ths babe magnet. IMO, the first mountain bike looking mountain bike with road bike wheels.

http://bikereviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/2011-trance-x-29er.jpg

It was Mark Hopkins, Pyga designer.. CSIXX maker, Pyga Partner and Leatt designer dude in the early years. Insane on the downhills..

Thought I recognized his mugg from the articles and stuff...

Trails bikes are for trails. Trails are ill suited to '29ers because of the frequent sharp turns. Maybe it will work - but I feel Giant is rolling the big marketing dice and hoping it lands on six.

Have been on AM bikes the last couple of years and thought I would hate anything trail on the Anthem 29er. Boy, was I WRONG! I'm sure the extra travel + slacker angels of something like a Trance 29er will only make it even better.