120mm Travel Giant Trance 29'er released

Hairy

What do you say  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What do you say

• Damned Right, where can I buy one!
    • Silliest thing ever to consider
    • Who would ever want/need more than a fully rigid 29'er

Well not really, but if you are reading this then you too are hoping they develop and bring this bike out soon.

Vote above if you would not mind!

Regards

Hairy

Edited by Hairy

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trails bikes are for trails. Trails are ill suited to '29ers because of the frequent sharp turns. Maybe it will work - but I feel Giant is rolling the big marketing dice and hoping it lands on six.

Where is the option for

• Who would ever want/need more than a fully rigid 26'er

Because that is not really an option :)

Trails bikes are for trails. Trails are ill suited to '29ers because of the frequent sharp turns. Maybe it will work - but I feel Giant is rolling the big marketing dice and hoping it lands on six.

Ooo Just Keep Pedaling ... one ride out on my Inbred 29'er and you will be total convert ... that bike rocks in ST and can chase down good 26'er long travel duallies

that myth has been de-bunked by pretty much anyone who has ridden a modern-day 29er, and is continually used even despite said debunking (also by people who just see a report and carry on quoting it as gospel, not taking into consideration any subsequent reports)

Yes, there were issues previously, but that was mainly down to either poor design, or the testers riding the bikes like they were riding their 26ers, and therefore not adapting to the new style of riding that a 29er needs...

Edited by cptmayhem

that myth has been de-bunked by pretty much anyone who has ridden a modern-day 29er, and is continually used even despite said debunking (also by people who just see a report and carry on quoting it as gospel, not taking into consideration any subsequent reports)

Yes, there were issues previously, but that was mainly down to either poor design, or the testers riding the bikes like they were riding their 26ers, and therefore not adapting to the new style of riding that a 29er needs...

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

They are not really selling too many Trance 26" at the moment, as far as my LBS store in concerned they will not be bringing anymore in. I'm not complaining I picked up a 120mm Fox Fork off a Trance for next to nothing on Friday :clap:

Completely untrue these days!

"that myth has been de-bunked by pretty much anyone who has ridden a modern-day 29er"

Oh really? Tread ran a feature in the last year where all their testers said that 29ers performed worse on corners.

Double-D, my man, have another look at those 2 bikes there. Giant is nothing like the Spez.

The dynamics of frame manufacture will dictate that all bikes have similarities in design. Front triangle, rear triangle. Add 29er to the mix, and in order to get a low standover height together with longer travel, you will have those same lines on pretty much any FS 29er.

Also, the rear triangles are totally different. Giant has elected to have the shock mounted to an extension of the swingarm, whereas Spez have latched it onto the middle (well, almost) section of a linkage bar.

What I find most interesting is that Giant have done away with the MAESTRO suspension design for their Trance 29er... intriguing...

As said before I can't believe how well my Inbred handles ST and especially corners.

I had another 29'er branded frame before and there is no comparison between the two. If you get the geometry right a good 29'er is like lighting through the turns.

The same can be said for some 26'ers. There are those that handle like absolute farm gates on the tight and twisty ST.

"that myth has been de-bunked by pretty much anyone who has ridden a modern-day 29er"

Oh really? Tread ran a feature in the last year where all their testers said that 29ers performed worse on corners.

Based on what? And what tires were they running, what pressures, how were they riding etc?

If they were comparing cornering characteristics based on the same tires, and not Crossmark 29er vs Mountain king 26er ir something, and were riding properly, then yeah. Maybe.

But as for now? Completely untrue.

EDIT: As long as they have the geometry right, which some providers just don't.

Edited by cptmayhem

As said before I can't believe how well my Inbred handles ST and especially corners.

I had another 29'er branded frame before and there is no comparison between the two. If you get the geometry right a good 29'er is like lighting through the turns.

The same can be said for some 26'ers. There are those that handle like absolute farm gates on the tight and twisty ST.

Exactly.