All things Colnago

StevieL

Seriously, guys and girls! I am looking for a Colnago track bike size 52 to 55. Anyone know of someone who has one in SA?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently bought an M10s frame and then got paranoid that I had bought a Chinago despite the assurances of a substantial seller, checking his receipt and the original purchase price and the asking price being what one would expect to pay for a genuine Colnago.

The lack of serial numbers on Colnago's does not help matters either.

Thought I would post the results of my investigations in the hope that they may prove helpful to other prospective Colnago purchasers.

M10 - check that the braze-on is riveted properly and not using a clamp-on. The little club logo behind the saddle on late model M10's can have a slight tilt to it. Check the weight and geometry. Fake Colnago's are lighter by as much as 150 - 200 gm than the real thing. If you can get a look inside the tubing, you should see a ribbing effect, not a smooth finish. Check the paintwork closely. Late model  Colnago's which do not show the naked carbon have a very high quality paintwork (done in Italy) which the Chinese have not yet managed to copy too well. You should also be aware that the pics of Colnago's that are used on the Chinago websites are pics of genuine bikes taken from the  Colnago site and are no help in identifying a fake.

Ultimately, the ride will tell. If it is a smooth, solid, responsive ride, which encourages you to fly up and down hills with absolute confidence, you have a Colnago.

Apparently fake Colnago's have a twitchy, harsh ride that tends to judder at higher speeds, especially over rough surfaces.

Edited by Eli

So I finally finished assembling my Master Piu on Saturday.

I still need a Black Regal saddle, but I will have to wait for the post office to come back on line.

Its a 1986 Master Piu with 2005 Chrous 10 Speed groupset (Need to save up and find an original C Record for it).

I rode it on Sunday, a few minor adjustments needed, but she rides really nicely.

post-35520-0-93964600-1417410179_thumb.jpg

post-35520-0-46932300-1417410180_thumb.jpg

post-35520-0-10932900-1417410181_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, Quintonb is going to be in Johannesburg from the 30th until the 3rd and is bringing along his Master.

Anyone keen to join Quintonb, Evanb and myself on our Colnago's for a social ride over this period? 

If so, please PM me.

I was thinking of meeting near the Thornhill Estate Modderfontein and then taking a ride out on the R25 to Bapsfontein and back along the R50. The missus and I did this ride last Sunday and the road is in pretty good shape. 

There is a nice Pizzeria near the lake and we could have something to eat and drink on our return. 

P.S. If you don't have a Colnago, but would like to have a ride with us, please feel free to come along. Emphasis will be on social ride and depending upon numbers we could get a support vehicle to tag along.

Also, happy to consider another route. 

Sounds very good, thanks for organising Steve. Will see you all there. Will bring my brother in law along as he knows the area better than I do...

Have a good Christmas and will see you all when I'm up your side.

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas present for the missus, '86 Colnago Mexico. Finished off with newer early 2000 Record group set on Ambriosio Excellence wheels. Brooks B17 saddle.

PS, PM for details regarding the ride we have organised for Saturday the 3rd from Modderfontein! See post above.....

post-44986-0-11990800-1419860693_thumb.jpg

post-44986-0-55437000-1419860732_thumb.jpg

Christmas present for the missus, '86 Colnago Mexico. Finished off with newer early 2000 Record group set on Ambriosio Excellence wheels. Brooks B17 saddle.

PS, PM for details regarding the ride we have organised for Saturday the 3rd from Modderfontein! See post above.....

That is a seriously cool bike. Your missus is one very lucky lady!

• 2 weeks later...

@ Loose cog

The seat post is aluminium and quite modern. It has no markings on, so I have no idea what it is. I bought it out of a pile of posts at Woodstock Cycle Works just because of the diameter.

I don't know, how can you tell?

Looks like a 1st or 2nd generation Campagnolo C-Record crank with 4 arm spider, the 5th spider being hidden behind the crank arm. The 1st gen had the Campy logo engraved on the arms whereby later models only etched or painted on. The later always wore off and lost value. Good 4 spider cranks are worth a bit for collectors.

I wonder if the same debate happened in the 80's as has happened with the intro of the new cranks?

I would say 2nd generation then. It was already partly  polished when I got it and the logo already gone. Definitely had no sign of the engraved logo.