26" 27.5" and 29" Wheels and mtb's.

RodTi

Then we could make an open class where everyone can ride what they want.

Oh wait... That is what we have.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, why stop here? Lets differentiate based on spoke count as well. Heck what about crank and stem length? We can keep going at this until everybody is a category winner!

Know what I like about the Hub.

People argue with each other about something they have effal control over.

The UCI will decide what happens.

But I can see one or two "sour grape" athletes lodging some suggestions.

650B has been used for a while by smaller riders in UCI(road)

Gives no advantage to the rider on the road or the track. The guys tried going bigger, especially in TT's and on the track. Look for some pics of Moser attempting an hour record. And more recently Bugno with a larger than 700c wheel in a TDF TT. All banned now.

Gives no advantage to the rider on the road or the track. The guys tried going bigger, especially in TT's and on the track. Look for some pics of Moser attempting an hour record. And more recently Bugno with a larger than 700c wheel in a TDF TT. All banned now.

Other than to actually getting a leg over the tobtube, and to reach the handlebars.... :)

Otherwise, wheel size is just one of 3 (or 4) components involved in calculating gearing

1. wheelsize
  2. rear sprocket
  3. front ring
  4. crank length

But of course I do not know what I talk about :(

Know what I like about the Hub.

People argue with each other about something they have effal control over.

The UCI will decide what happens.

But I can see one or two "sour grape" athletes lodging some suggestions.

Yeah, the UCI should be disbanded and replaced by the HUB :devil:

you saying Moser used larger wheels, as per the following image, for his hour record attempt in Jan 1984?

http://www.veloresults.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/17/giro-di-lombardia-day-two/Mosers-Bike-430x285.jpg

There's no mention of it being larger, other than being a disk wheel. Is there another, third attempt with larger wheels? The second attempt in 1994 was the Obree prayingmantis style, but unknown frame and wheels.

aah. here it is, allegedly used in one of the attempts, but i didnt find a reference to which (not really looking, just curious to see what size):

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1Zb7K43b1D4/SvQ4Q-3BCiI/AAAAAAAAEEo/Kn_SaSvpp-Q/s400/88moser.jpg

Other than to actually getting a leg over the tobtube, and to reach the handlebars.... :)

Otherwise, wheel size is just one of 3 (or 4) components involved in calculating gearing

1. wheelsize

http://velominati.com/content/Reader%20Galleries/16161306444096/francesco-moser-indoor-hour-record-21-05-1988-stuttgart.jpg

aah. here it is, allegedly used in one of the attempts, but i didnt find a reference to which (not really looking, just curious to see what size):

The rear wheel is 1 meter or 39.71inches in diameter. What is deceiving is the front is also larger than normal at 28.33 inches, it only looks small.

The tires were 18mm and he rode a 47x 18 gear.

you saying Moser used larger wheels, as per the following image, for his hour record attempt in Jan 1984?

Nope. I'm talking about Stuttgart in '88...

urgh... like everything else on the hub, this is busy morphing...

How long till we take it back to the Penny Farthing wheel size?

I catch your drift, I will even go as far as to say that the biggest demand for 650B will be from S.A. and ultimately the marketers will be blamed again.

In saying that it was mostly the SA riders that were on the 29ers.

In saying that it was mostly the SA riders that were on the 29ers.

Look, let me explain it like this.

26" full suspension, there is life there.

Why do we still have to plod along with small wheels on hard tails.

It makes the ride very uncomfortable, it's super bumpy and now some old technology.

I will even go as far as to say that had Nino been on a 26" hard tail on his one lap down that rock garden, he might not have been so lucky :whistling:

Yeah I understand the merits and cost benefits of adapting a 26er' in to a 650B but one day of Sani2C in the pouring rain and one would be better of running the route or doing it on a BMX.

Well, I am 6 foot tall and happy with my wheel selection, have been for the past 6 years.

Look, let me explain it like this.

26" full suspension, there is life there.

Why do we still have to plod along with small wheels on hard tails.

It makes the ride very uncomfortable, it's super bumpy and now some old technology.

I will even go as far as to say that had Nino been on a 26" hard tail on his one lap down that rock garden, he might not have been so lucky :whistling:

Yeah I understand the merits and cost benefits of adapting a 26er' in to a 650B but one day of Sani2C in the pouring rain and one would be better of running the route or doing it on a BMX.

Well, I am 6 foot tall and happy with my wheel selection, have been for the past 6 years.

No one is disputing that you are happy with what you ride, as I am happy with what I ride. I think you have what I'm saying completely wrong, Ive not once said any wheel size is better or worse then any other, each have their owm merits. I'm not going into any further debate on the issue, like you said I know nothing, have a nice day.

No one is disputing that you are happy with what you ride, as I am happy with what I ride. I think you have what I'm saying completely wrong, Ive not once said any wheel size is better or worse then any other, each have their owm merits. I'm not going into any further debate on the issue, like you said I know nothing, have a nice day.

What you did, you quoted me out of context and brought up the dead 26 " wheel size comment, no ?

So you are kinda missing the point here, I am not defending my choice of wheel size.

I am simply stating where I see the 26" hard tail ending up.

If they're Niners, definitely sell them. Probably not worth much either. I'll give you a fair price 'coz I'm a nice guy. :whistling:

So its time for a startup, we can compete with Niner, and call ours Twentysevenpointfiver, kinda catchy :) Might just need a really long top tube for branding purposes.

Edited by covie