Cyclingpeaks question

Jason

edit: The setting is a check box labeled "Automatically adjust torque offset"
OK reset all to default and changed the recordings to what I want... This Auto adjust torque... is it over here?

20080103_121522_auto.JPG

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jason am I imagining or is that Cyclingpeaks Software you are using? Geek [/Quote]LOL Yup trial version... This other version I got from somewhere is an older one and it doesn't read my data... I think it's Version 2.1 build 35... When I upgrade to build 69 it says I only have 14 days left Cry So maybe I must just set the date back on my pc and I'll always be able to use CP software Evil%20Smile 

Jason am I imagining or is that Cyclingpeaks Software you are using? Geek [/Quote]LOL Yup trial version... This other version I got from somewhere is an older one and it doesn't read my data... I think it's Version 2.1 build 35... When I upgrade to build 69 it says I only have 14 days left Cry So maybe I must just set the date back on my pc and I'll always be able to use CP software Evil%20Smile 

Hmmm Interesting... You're really having no luck with this power thing... Confused

Is it OK if I de-select Auto Zero (Track Mode)

Don't think I'll ever be doing track. Will it have any effect on my riding data or not really?

20080103_121522_auto.JPG

Hmmm Interesting... You're really having no luck with this power thing... Confused
Yup... Starting to think if I must go back to training with my Abacus... I mean Polar Dead or maybe I'm just pushing this crazy amount of POWER and my PT is like WTF is going on here? Evil%20SmileCoolClown

That's an older version of poweragent but I think that is the one - "Auto zero"

No, don't uncheck it.

p.s. Build 86 of CP released today

Windbreaker2008-01-03 12:39:08

That's an older version of poweragent but I think that is the one - "Auto zero"

No, don't uncheck it.

Older version...Cry I did uncheck it but have re-checked it. So do you think it's a software problem? Or the CPU? Will the build fix this? Is there a fix list you can view?

No, none of the software stuff above is related to your problem (I guess) but if you did the default thing using the buttons see how it goes.

If it is still there then download using Poweragent and see if that data is ok (as per Michelle) if it is visible in Poweragent then I'd say send you CPU to Adrian (or call him first)

Thanks Windbreaker... Got a ride tomorrow morning and will see how it goes. Just to confirm, I reset all to default and then just changed the recording rates to 1 sec... For Power, Speed and Cadence... Off to bed now but please do keep your mobiles on incase of an emergency... Wink Jason2008-01-03 12:55:48

Jason - please just check the cause by downloading to Power agent and comparing to CP. This is the surest way of isolating the problem.

I have sent the files to Hunter - I suspect a software issue but will let you know once I hear anything.

Jason - please just check the cause by downloading to Power agent and comparing to CP. This is the surest way of isolating the problem.

I have sent the files to Hunter - I suspect a software issue but will let you know once I hear anything.
Thanks BikeMax, I was supposed to ride this morning but it was hailing Dead

The last thing I want is to be a cyclist with dimples all over my body Big%20smile

Anyway, I did download the data to the Power Agent and it also shows the errors if I remember correctly. I have a long ride on Sunday. So what I'll do is, download the data in to CP and the Power Agent software and let you know.

Windbreaker, sent you a PM, let me know...mkay?

BikeMax, I have the same problem with CP.  I did a 5,5 hr ride on Monday, but the total time in CP is over 12 hrs?  I always download to both PowerAgent and CyclingPeaks, and I've realised everytime there are a lot of "files" to merge for a single ride in PowerAgent, that the time in CyclingPeaks is much longer than the actual ride time.  If all the "files" for the ride are merged in PowerAgent, the actual ride duration is correct in PowerAgent (5:30 in this case).  Maybe there is (or should be) some "merging" function available in CyclingPeaks which will eliminate the much longer time indicated in brackets?

20080104_021942_CP.jpg

Reminds me of that Micheal Jackson song... You are not alone

Everyday I sit and ask myself
How did power slip away
Something whispers in my ear and says
That you are not alone
For I am here with you
Though you're far away
I am here to stay

Hi everyone (and happy new yearSmile)

Adrian from Bicycle Power Trading here, just dropping in to clarify a few points about the PowerTap system raised in this thread.

Have you checked the battery in the hub' date=' maybe it's running a little low, maybe there is a delayed recording? Same with the polar speed sensors, soon as the battery runs low the speed seems to increase on the monitor,[/quote']

Checking the hub and computer batteries is usually one of the first steps in diagnosing a PowerTap problem. However, weakened hub batteries would only cause a loss of power, torque, speed, and distance data at most, and would not affect the time recorded by the bike computer in the way that Jason has described.

do you have the wireless version? i've still got the old one and i'm struggling with the heart rate strap' date=' replaced the batteries but the unit still keeps dropping my heart rate then takes a minute to pick it up again, that really pi$%^^ me off[/quote']

Turk182, send me a mail at adrian@bicyclepower.co.za and let's see what can be done to resolve this problem.

Hey Dr.' date=' my sleep is set to 5 minutes and my autostart is set to just speed... I'll check tomorrow morning if there's any hic-cups again... I'm on the IDT tonight... Funny enough it never gives errors with time on the IDT... Must be our k@k roads or something[/quote']

Jason, the problem that you are reporting should not be affected by vibration or any road-specific force, which means that if it improves on the IDT, this is probably just a coincidence. Typically, people spend more time on the road than the IDT, which means that there is more opportinuty for such a fault to occur when doing road rides.

Ja' date=' you can set it to auto-zero then you don't have to do it regularly. I still check every now and then but it zeroes itself when it works out that you are moving at speed (but coasting) and any slight torque must be an offset so it zeros it. Set it through the Poweragent software. But you should reset the CPU first.[/quote']

Firstly, the calibration of the unit (i.e. zero'ing of the torque) and the auto-zero function's on/off status wouldn't affect the recorded time in the file. The only affect that they could have is on the accuracy of the power and torque data.

All PowerTaps should always have the torque auto-zero function activated. This can be done either through PowerAgent or manually through the CPU set-up menu. The computer doesn't have to be reset/cleared before hand.

As a general rule, PowerTap users should go into the torque mode on a frequent and regular (perhaps weekly) basis and check that the auto-zero function has been working correctly. In most cases, it will keep the unit in calibration all by iteself, but it will leave large movements in calibration for the user to correct manually (which is why it has to be checked). Because the procedure of zero'ing the torque is so easy and quick, many people like to do it before each ride, especially the imporant ones.

The torque can be zeroed while standing next to the bike or during a ride (while on the bike) as long as there is:

1. communication between the hub and bike computer.

2. no torque being applied to the hub, or any part of the drivetrain.

It is not necessary for the computer to be reset/cleared before doing this.

It is not always sufficient to look at power when coasting, see it drop to zero, and assume that the unit is calibrated. Going into torque mode is recommended instead.

Thanks for the heads-up, Windbreaker. It's usually a good idea to keep these programs updated, so all WKO+ users out there should check this out.

Finally, to return to Jason's original post...

Jason, if you have a PTap or WKO+ problem, you are always welcome to contact me directly, without hesitating.

The problem that you have is almost certainly a software/firmware problem (the major clue being the raw data in the CPKs file, and the fact that the extra time is exactly 3 hours).

BikeMax was correct in recommending that you download your files for a while through CPKs and PowerAgent, so that you can determine whether the problem is being caused by the bike computer (firmware) or by CyclingPeaks (software). Please do this for a few long rides on the road, and mail the files to us.

If the problem is apparent in both sets of files, then I recommend reloading the firmware on your PowerTap computer. I'll assist you with this.

If the problem is with CyclingPeaks, then upgrading to the latest build should help to solve the problem.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks and regards

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

Sometimes a solution to a problem is normally sorted within minutes here on the hub, so I thought someone might have a quick answer.

Michelle is currently running the latest build of CP, I'm only using the trial version at the moment.

The firmware on my CPU is 2.21. Is there a newer version?

I'll compare my files this weekend with the PowerAgent SW and CP and let you guys know!

Thanks for all the info and help!

The firmware on my CPU is 2.21. Is there a newer version?

This is the latest version for bike computers with uncoded heart rate. Reloading the firmware can help to fix a bug in the firware - even if you are reloading the same version.

Given how rare firmware related problems are (and I'm talking statistically here), it's more likely that this is being caused by CPKs. Either way, both potential causes should be investigated.