Which Pill helps with Cramping?

kandui

I'm afraid you assume too much - in my experience (20 years of racing) it is always a lack of training that leads to cramping. The fitter I am the less often I cramp in events. I cannot believe the crap people are prepared to take as a magic potion for cramping. Rennies? WTF?

I dont agree 100%. I have cramped even when fit - weather dependant. Too much water can flush the electrolytes and also cause cramping apparently. Too little hydration and you also apparently cramp. I use the word apparently because their is NO factual scientific explanation what exactly causes cramps, only theories.

Therefore it is a bit harsh to say it is becasue of a lack of training. Hell, overtraining can probably also cause it.

Read Macca's book for some very interesting insight into cramping.......

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Macca basically says you must stock up on your reserve levels for 10 days instead of only 2-3 days (carbo loading) before a big event.

Farmers put out salt tablets in the field for their cattle.

Buy one of them, put it next to your bed (or couch) and give it a good lick everytime you go past it.......

post-12877-0-74947700-1330418294.jpg

So that is what the Sharks were carrying on their back last week!!!!! The extra weight slowed them down......... did you take that into acount when you played sangoma??????

the only thing that really works on race day is Tiger blood.

Just make sure you supplement your diet with Mag.

I have noticed that since I switched to 32GI, I tend to cramp less on the 80km + rides.

Thanks for all the tips. I am not looking for the Silver Bullet as a replacement for hard work. I put in the "assumption" of adequate training to find out what's out there to take in the event of cramping,treating cramps as the exception rather than the norm. More training, less chance of cramps. I accept that and am training to ride at the intensity I want to attain.

Increased Intensity does seem to play a role with my cramping as I saw at the Knysna 300. Day 1(100km, although I must confess that i got lost and rode and extra 10km): cramping in the last 10km. Day 2 (115km): cramping from about 60km onwards with heavy cramps about 5km from the end. Day 3 (78km): zero cramps and the legs felt absolutely fine.

Average pace was on Day 1 and 2: 18,6km/h. Day 3: 19,8km/h.This is certainly a higher average speed than I have ridden at previous long races.

The pattern of my cramping is never the same, that's my point. At the Argus I have cramped at less than 50km, while I have managed 146km at Epic without a twinge. Just trying to eliminate some factors .

Thanks for all the tips. I am not looking for the Silver Bullet as a replacement for hard work. I put in the "assumption" of adequate training to find out what's out there to take in the event of cramping,treating cramps as the exception rather than the norm. More training, less chance of cramps. I accept that and am training to ride at the intensity I want to attain.

Increased Intensity does seem to play a role with my cramping as I saw at the Knysna 300. Day 1(100km, although I must confess that i got lost and rode and extra 10km): cramping in the last 10km. Day 2 (115km): cramping from about 60km onwards with heavy cramps about 5km from the end. Day 3 (78km): zero cramps and the legs felt absolutely fine.

Average pace was on Day 1 and 2: 18,6km/h. Day 3: 19,8km/h.This is certainly a higher average speed than I have ridden at previous long races.

The pattern of my cramping is never the same, that's my point. At the Argus I have cramped at less than 50km, while I have managed 146km at Epic without a twinge. Just trying to eliminate some factors .

Yep. There is no definate science. Some people cramp more than others. I for one is cramping a lot more this year than ever before despite the fact that I am fitter! I have however experimented a lot with nutrition this year so I really believe that it does play a role.

Maybe its something in the water (or lack of)........

It is bull***t to say it is due to a lack of training. How can World Champion IM athletes cramp then? MACCO won Hawaii twice and the thing he writes about most is cramping!

I will read up in "the lore of running" this evening as Prof Tim should know best!!

Used 32Gi on Day 3 instead of my usual Enduren. Can't say that staved off the cramps , but if the grey matter between the ears wants to believe it, who am I to argue?

Cramping is caused, like many said, by overreaching in training.

Training beyond your muscles' capability.

Slow down when cramping starts.

Pilletjies like Rennies works 'between the ears'.

+1 Wot Bender Dale says.... Except maybe slow down BEFORE cramping starts

No matter your fitness level, if you push it past your limit for to long the cramp she will come.

Take a slowdown pill

How can World Champion IM athletes cramp then?

Because they are racing at a high enough intensity that will bring on cramping, everyone has an intensity level that once exceeded for long enough will result in cramps.

There's an extensive article on this under "Fitness & Nutrition" or some thread category like that.

FiT Antilac works well, my brother has had good results with Rennies too. He is a serial cramper. I have used eno's and coke to good effect as well.

I only cramp if I dehydrate or I have not done enough intensity training in the early season.

CalMag tabs work well as a good all round preventative measure but if you are prone you will still cramp on those.

Recently my bro stopped drinking Coke in the week leading up to a race, he has cut his cramp rate drastically.

Wait wait! What kind of cramping are you talking about?

Cos these may be able to help

http://www.baronepharmacy.com.au/images/nurofen_period_12.jpg