Tubbies - re-use or replace?

Rydogg

I had to brake really hard this morning to not go flying over the bonnet of a guy who went through a stop street.

The top most rubber layer scraped off my tyre.

What do you guys think? I don't know if it's going to burst or not. (I don't think it will)

Any tips on how to fix it? Any experience with something similar?

post-20229-0-22265500-1330430206.jpg

post-20229-0-58093200-1330430213.jpg

Edited by Rydogg

OT I know, but is there anyone who offers a service to repair punctured tubbies?Seems like such a waste to throw a good tyre away after one puncture!

OT I know, but is there anyone who offers a service to repair punctured tubbies?Seems like such a waste to throw a good tyre away after one puncture!

The disadvantage of tubbies, as I understand them.

That ain't no puncture there.

This tyre is a gonner.

I won't even think of repairing this.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it even possible to repair a normal puncture on a tubbie?

It depends on the tubby, but normally yes.

Is it even possible to repair a normal puncture on a tubbie?

Yes and it enhances ones sewing skills.....this one however is toast but clearly did its job under the circumstances described.

That ain't no puncture there.

This tyre is a gonner.

I won't even think of repairing this.

Great, in that case send it to me Rydogg, I will get some more miles out of that!

Not sure why people are so scared of tubbies, I suppose if you have not tested your equipment to its limits, you wont know what the limits are.

Those are Gatorskins and not one of the most durable tubbies on the market for nothing.

You have just scratched the surface there Rydogg, there are a couple more layers to go underneath that one.

This is one of my Gatorskin tubbis with 3623km on, mine looked like yours around 2000km ago.

Raced with it plenty. Obviously the chance of getting a puncture is higher but if you dont want to take that chance ... feel free to send it to me, Ill gladly "test" how far it can be pushed ;)

post-4352-0-97705600-1332000690.jpg

post-4352-0-13339500-1332000692.jpg

Its has still not gone (blown) but Ive decided to send it to the tubby retirement farm for an easier life.

I had to brake really hard this morning to not go flying over the bonnet of a guy who went through a stop street.

The top most rubber layer scraped off my tyre.

What do you guys think? I don't know if it's going to burst or not. (I don't think it will)

Any tips on how to fix it? Any experience with something similar?

That tubbie has had its chips. But it begs the question why you even used your rear brake to perform an emergency stop. Had you developed the proper technique of only using your front brake for such sitations, you would have stopped quicker and saved the tyre.

same happened to me, I replaced it, but think i will put it back on after seeing tankman's response.

That tubbie has had its chips. But it begs the question why you even used your rear brake to perform an emergency stop. Had you developed the proper technique of only using your front brake for such sitations, you would have stopped quicker and saved the tyre.

Wow, that was a tool statement...

I decided to ride with it some more, and it's been fine so far. Even did the argus with it. As Tankman said, it's only the outer rubber layer that's gone, which is very thin anyway and provides NO structural support or puncture resistance. Just a bit of super glue to protect the internal threaded layers seems to help.

I'll let you guys know how it's going after another 1000kms.