L-Glutamine

I take glutamine whenever i do any exercise. In my whey shake after gym session and with my energy drink during long rides/races. 5g per serving. It helps with protein synthesis and thus aid recovery. I find it helps my immune system as well.

Dont buy solgar glutamine. Im sure it is of the highest quality but you will pay through your ears. Glutamine is one of the cheapest supplements on the market. There is a company called Warrenchem Specialities (branch in CT and JHB). I buy my glutamine from them at something like R150/kg

@Wonderwoman, where do u get Solgar's Glutamine ...good to know they do it, I didnt think to ask for that.

I live in the south of Jo'burg so get it from bunnies in Rosettenville, scary place ;).

But jees if you can get it for R150/kg Solgar is expensive,

I take glutamine whenever i do any exercise. In my whey shake after gym session and with my energy drink during long rides/races. 5g per serving. It helps with protein synthesis and thus aid recovery. I find it helps my immune system as well.

Dont buy solgar glutamine. Im sure it is of the highest quality but you will pay through your ears. Glutamine is one of the cheapest supplements on the market. There is a company called Warrenchem Specialities (branch in CT and JHB). I buy my glutamine from them at something like R150/kg

You still getting ripped.... :whistling: ;)

You still getting ripped.... :whistling: ;)

i take 1 teaspoon of it in a 750ml waterbotle in the races it works very well

L-Glutamine promotes growth hormone.Was taking it last year for about 5 weeks. Only noticed that my hair started growing thick and fast.

Really!

Intense stuff.

What's the relationship with amino acids?

I've been recommended to use that for recovery.

What's the relationship with amino acids?

I've been recommended to use that for recovery.

L glutamine is the most abundent amino acid in the body but it also gets depleted the quickest. Its good to supplement with L glutamine but it is not a essential amino acid (EAA) not is it a branch chain amino acid (BCAA). It is very good to supplement with BCAA as well if you live a very active life sports wise

I put some in my homemade energy drink recipe, leaving it out makes it less effective. With it in I seem to have much more strength for longer and finish races feeling much stronger. Have never correlated it with recovery, I'm sure it helps also.

What brands do you guys suggest? I would ask someone at Dis-chem but those guys always go for the SSN products first.

Suppies are like a pyramid.

The base of your pyramid should be your multi-vite, followed by a good protein-carb drink, followed by the extras like glutamine or creatine or whatever.

Glutamine is good stuff though. Highly recommended. I load it for 5 days at 3 or 4 servings of 5g. Then take 1 serving right after training, and 1 about 20 min before bed.

• 5 weeks later...

So you guys think L-Glutamine is a good supplement for recovery after rides? All i want to ask is if it will stop weightloss or even stimulate weight gain if you only use it after rides? And also the side effects? It's not going to cause a heartattack or something? Should you consult a docter before starting to use it?

Edited by Matts 300

L glutamine is the most abundent amino acid in the body but it also gets depleted the quickest. Its good to supplement with L glutamine but it is not a essential amino acid (EAA) not is it a branch chain amino acid (BCAA). It is very good to supplement with BCAA as well if you live a very active life sports wise

I hear it's good for the immune system too, other than promoting recovery.

Me getting some this winter.

:thumbup:

I hear it's good for the immune system too, other than promoting recovery.

Me getting some this winter.

:thumbup:

Also get "Buffered Vitamin C 2000mg" non acid based effervescent powder.

I take the two together with a glass of water in the mornings and evenings. Teaspoon of each per dose. - So far so good...

I found after my op that doing biokinetics twice a week and still trying to ride on weekends was killing my legs. I spoke to my bio about BCAA'S and L-glut as options for recovery. He basically said that BCAA'S are good for preventing muscle breakdown and L-glut is better for recovery. I gave it a try in big doses and it definitely helped...a lot.

Do yourself a favor and avoid the overly marketed stuff that fills all the usual shelves (there's plenty to google about the crap put in supplements in SA and the governance of), get yourself some PURE Nutrition as somebody else mentioned and do it right.

Edited by Richard Best