Deep sections or not for Argus …..?

smerds

I’m in two minds …. Should I ride the Argus with deep sections or should I go with my lighter wheelset since there is a fair bit of climbing.

On the open road you are in most cases protected by the bunch so I don’t see the aerodynamic advantage of the deep section wheels as a great advantage plus you have to carry the additional weight up the climbs ……?

Will be interesting to hear what you think …..?

Those wheels are not nice in strong winds . Used them in two Argus races . 1st one perfect weather and they worked very well , the following year in strong winds it was not very nice and you had to stay inside the bunch all the time .

IMO if you not in it to win it, then its personal preference...

But heck if the wind blows then its s no brainer!!!

Ill be using my firecrests just coz they cool

Jokes aside though, they behave really well in cross winds.

The way the wind has been pumping the last few days and based on the forecast, pack a set of low profiles

ride with your deep section wheels, I have done this in the worst winds. They are still the best for our "hills". It will only be a real issue if the guys are single filing in a strong cross wind. With the big groups in the Argus, you can easily avoid this.

Riding my 404's they are not FC but they go well up the climbs and I have not had issues with them in the wind, I suppose if there are real strong gusts that would be an issue.

If you're a bigger rider, 80kg plus, I reckon stability will be better.

I come in at 72 kgs with a sub 7 kg machine.

And I wobble quite easily with a lil cross windjie... :blush:

Riding my 404's they are not FC but they go well up the climbs and I have not had issues with them in the wind, I suppose if there are real strong gusts that would be an issue.

It is the gusts... unpredictable and ferocious here in the Cape.

Like a big hand that can take out the front wheel.

Edited by danseuse

Riding my baby with her high heels on! Did a test ride in the wind yesterday and she was good to go! Just need to sort out the puncture I got on the back wheel. Tempted to take it to the expo and see if I can get it sorted there...

Hey it's "world champs", you have to come out with all guns blazing. Deep sections are fast and look cool :drool:

Riding my baby with her high heels on! Did a test ride in the wind yesterday and she was good to go! Just need to sort out the puncture I got on the back wheel. Tempted to take it to the expo and see if I can get it sorted there...

You gonna walk around the expo with a wheel that needs a puncture fixed. If its a Tubby put a new one on at your LBS if its not. Put a new tube in yourself. The guys at the Expo are not there to work on punctures. They are there to make money.

You gonna walk around the expo with a wheel that needs a puncture fixed. If its a Tubby put a new one on at your LBS if its not. Put a new tube in yourself. The guys at the Expo are not there to work on punctures. They are there to make money.

Yep, it's a tubby. (Very new to me) Have some work committments tomorrow and meetings later today. Expo down the road from the office so functionally the best option to get this sorted today. Saturday at the LBS before the Argus???? Wouldn't even want to chance it... Oh and I am prepared to pay for it, not get it for free, but thanks for highlighting nonetheless Big J!

Yep, it's a tubby. (Very new to me) Have some work committments tomorrow and meetings later today. Expo down the road from the office so functionally the best option to get this sorted today. Saturday at the LBS before the Argus???? Wouldn't even want to chance it... Oh and I am prepared to pay for it, not get it for free, but thanks for highlighting nonetheless Big J!

You want a new tubby put on or the pucture repaired, If you want the Tubby replaced thats quick. If you want the punctured repaired. Good luck.