Help - Cortisone

Hi Guys,

Was on Antibiotics till Wednesday and now on Cortisone for chest and throat. I'm doing the Argus on Sunday - must I stop the Cortisone before then - do anybody know the negative effect it will have on me?

Any advice will be appreciated!!!

dommisse,

Your chest and throat condition will affect your performance more than the cortisone.

Use it until race day.

Also ask udxcob.

He might have good advice since his chest trouble in Spring.

If you are sick enough to be on that medication maybe you shouldn't race?

what silly talk is this?!

If you are sick enough to be on that medication maybe you shouldn't race?

The truth about this is that dommisse can reset his race expectations and adjust his strategy as his cardiovascular system is inflamed.

Cortisone does not cure anything. It reduces the swelling and pain thus masking it. The pain is there to protect your body from you doing something stupid - like racing with damaged lungs.

Hi Guys,

Was on Antibiotics till Wednesday and now on Cortisone for chest and throat. I'm doing the Argus on Sunday - must I stop the Cortisone before then - do anybody know the negative effect it will have on me?

Dommisse

What anti biotics were you on?

I have been on antibiotics for 7 years, every single day, for a autoimmune disease.... and I ride as I would if not on them.... they type of anti biotic is the NB thing. They generally stay in your system for 5-7 days after your last dose.

Part of my medication regime is to take cortisone, again the dosage is the main issue. How many mg's are you takin?. Generally it wont be an issue for a 1 day race, but it will give you cramp if you doing multi stage events in the later days

I wouldnt worry about the cortisone if you taking under 30mg a day. If you want, just dont take it on race day morning.

Definitly ride, but dont race too hard.

Edited by littleswazi

Dommisse

What anti biotics were you on?

I have been on antibiotics for 7 years, every single day, for a autoimmune disease.... and I ride as I would if not on them.... they type of anti biotic is the NB thing. They generally stay in your system for 5-7 days after your last dose.

Part of my medication regime is to take cortisone, again the dosage is the main issue. How many mg's are you takin?. Generally it wont be an issue for a 1 day race, but it will give you cramp if you doing multi stage events in the later days

I wouldnt worry about the cortisone if you taking under 30mg a day. If you want, just dont take it on race day morning.

Definitly ride, but dont race too hard.

The trick is that cortisone can mask the inflammation as it is such a good drug.

Because of the 'pseudo feel good', just watch out for long-term damage. Take it easy out there...

:thumbup:

Hi Guys,

If you're not well, don't mess with your health, DON'T RACE.

If you're not well, don't mess with your health, DON'T RACE.

I will closely track my resting heart-rate and what my body tells me - I'm not married to the Argus - there is always next year!

I will closely track my resting heart-rate and what my body tells me - I'm not married to the Argus - there is always next year!

Yip!

:thumbup: