Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

Sjoe, I love this thread. So much sage advice.

Note the good Professor's advice below. At LEAST 2L of beer (note 'not just water') to be drunk daily for good health...

Tim Noakes@ProfTimNoakes

@lionelfransman Yes. Drinking to thirst will insure about 2L of fluid ie water is ingested. This is ~8 glasses of fluid (not just water).

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Note the good Professor's advice below. At LEAST 2L of beer (note 'not just water') to be drunk daily for good health...

Tim Noakes@ProfTimNoakes

@lionelfransman Yes. Drinking to thirst will insure about 2L of fluid ie water is ingested. This is ~8 glasses of fluid (not just water).

Mmmm, a bit too optimistic there bud (pun intended). Beer is known to increase uric acid in your body and that is like poison.

Drinking more beer than I have in years, I have cut out all wheat, but still eat carbs, just in lesser quantities. So far I am keeping off about 1Kg per month - so far 9 down, who knows when it will stop. I will increase my beer consumption if there is any fear that I might beocme too thin!! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

I will be trying a keto diet from tomorrow! How will i fuel my longer rides?

Great stuff and good luck ! You just ride with water and cheese or boerewors (dry) and biltong.

Great stuff and good luck ! You just ride with water and cheese or boerewors (dry) and biltong.

Thanks Topwine! I was thinking in the line of nuts and droewors. I really am not looking forward to the transitional period. Guess i will be a moody person this coming week. I will be having 1 carb up day every saturday

Thanks Topwine! I was thinking in the line of nuts and droewors. I really am not looking forward to the transitional period. Guess i will be a moody person this coming week. I will be having 1 carb up day every saturday

You should read that books mentioned earlier in this thread. The first 2/3 weeks is critical. It would suggest NO carbs in this period with bare min (<20 grams a day) all in leafy vegatables. Some nuts have too much carbs in them. No off days in those 2/3 weeks, or else you will just delay your transition to burning fats for fuel.

I will be trying a keto diet from tomorrow! How will i fuel my longer rides?

Well, I did the One Tonner today, 156km, no breakfast, Water only (3 bottles) finished 5H30 (40min improvement over last year). I felt good the whole ride, no dips in energy. I checked blood glucose after ride 3.5mM (Medics were happy to help), I wasn't hungry until late afternoon, Once adapted, hunger falls away. Note full adaption period may take up to 12 weeks, but initial phase only 2-3 weeks. IMHO well worth it.

Some other reference material that I found interesting is 'Why we get fat' by Gary Taubes. Good insight into how what we eat transates into at the cellular level and the interaction with insulin and other hormones.

Well, I did the One Tonner today, 156km, no breakfast, Water only (3 bottles) finished 5H30 (40min improvement over last year). I felt good the whole ride, no dips in energy. I checked blood glucose after ride 3.5mM (Medics were happy to help), I wasn't hungry until late afternoon, Once adapted, hunger falls away. Note full adaption period may take up to 12 weeks, but initial phase only 2-3 weeks. IMHO well worth it.

WoW, nice one ! No breakfast? not even eggs and cheese ? My blood glucose also about 3.5 - 3.8 after exercise. I have hand meters at home (son T1 diabetic) I agree with the adaption periods you mentioned.

Thanks Richard, I have been following a low-carb, high protein diet, wondering how I should replenish on those long rides. I was planning to take some protein bars along.

Some other reference material that I found interesting is 'Why we get fat' by Gary Taubes. Good insight into how what we eat transates into at the cellular level and the interaction with insulin and other hormones.

Yes, thats a good book as well.

Thanks Richard, I have been following a low-carb, high protein diet, wondering how I should replenish on those long rides. I was planning to take some protein bars along.

Protein bars contain allot of carbs

@Topwine and @Richard 1973. You guys both Type 1??

My 10 year old son diagnosed earlier this year with Type 1.