Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

Fruithall - Almonds Raw 100g

Energy: 2415kJ

Protein: 21.2g

Carbs: 9g (of which 3.9g is sugar)

Fat: 49.4g (of which 43.0g is unsaturated & 3.7g is saturated)

Nuts are good and i eat them every day but you will find some conflicting info depending on where you look. For almonds i work on the following

30g almonds = 6g protein / 6g carbs / 15g fat

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a call from my doctor after all my blood tests. Have to meet with him to go over details but over the phone he said my blood sugar is great. Everything looks good except cholesterol which is almost 7.

Seven sounds bad, it is bad, and he wants me on medication. In the past it was 11. My doctor couldn't get me out the room fast enough. He was scared I would die on his premises. I was told to not bother buying green bananas. I got it down to below 5 with big weight loss, lots of exercise and no animal fats at all.

Now I eat butter, cheese, eggs, milk and so on but no flesh and my bloody cholesterol is back up to **** levels.

How will this fit in with the low carb diet? I cannot eat meat, cheese, eggs, butter or any carbs. Am I supposed to survive on carrots and olive oil or something?

I swear I will just kill myself now. This is making me nuts. Not sure I can even eat nuts actually.

Hi Martin - some might and some might not agree, but according to Prof Noakes and other people, cholestrol is not the problem. Read this article from a heart surgeon entitled World Renowned Heart Surgeon Speaks Out On What Really Causes Heart: http://myscienceacademy.org/2012/08/19/world-renown-heart-surgeon-speaks-out-on-what-really-causes-heart-disease/

Got a call from my doctor after all my blood tests. Have to meet with him to go over details but over the phone he said my blood sugar is great. Everything looks good except cholesterol which is almost 7.

Seven sounds bad, it is bad, and he wants me on medication. In the past it was 11. My doctor couldn't get me out the room fast enough. He was scared I would die on his premises. I was told to not bother buying green bananas. I got it down to below 5 with big weight loss, lots of exercise and no animal fats at all.

Now I eat butter, cheese, eggs, milk and so on but no flesh and my bloody cholesterol is back up to **** levels.

How will this fit in with the low carb diet? I cannot eat meat, cheese, eggs, butter or any carbs. Am I supposed to survive on carrots and olive oil or something?

I swear I will just kill myself now. This is making me nuts. Not sure I can even eat nuts actually.

Difficult without knowing your whole, complete and honest daily diet. People tend to cheat and then lie about it.

Cholesterol figure means little without the breakdown between HDL and LDL and far more important, the size of the LDL particles, which they dont measure in SA as far as i know. It is known for total cholesterol to sometimes go up, but that is mostly the HDL part, the good part !

How do you come to this conclusion of yours ? Especially the "high on balance and short on belief and opinion" part ...

I'd suggest again, that you read ALL the literature out there, to really see the benefits of true keto adaption. 2.5 g/kg carbs is NOT low carb ! You will NOT keto-adapt on such a diet ... therefore experience no perceived performance benefit. The study was done wrong and possible too short in time frame as well.

Why don't you do it yourself, properly , for 3 months, THEN come back and give your opinion ?

The artical refers to 12 papers/studies not just one...

Topwine why so invested/defensive? I am not shooting down Low-carb/paleo whatever, I am reading up and sharing some of what I find and asking questions as I go. I am not going to try something for 3 months before commenting - quite the opposite thanks - but to each their own.

I reach my conclusion (which you clearly consider invalid), from the fact that this is from a scientific journal which is pointing to a number of studies, and presents an assessment of them all on one particular element (high intensity / race performance) - rather than just sharing studies that support one or other paradigm. For the lay person such as myself its a challenge to try and find information from a source without some sort of vested interest. All the info / reading material you share may make convincing reading but with resepct they are not going to give me that balanced view.

The reality is right now there are 2 contradictory versions out there as to how one should eat for weight managment / heart health etc, and also (since this is a cycling forum and most of us are probably cyclists) for endurance sport... A consensus has yet to emerge although much of what is coming from the likes of Noakes and others is indeed compelling.

Nuts are good and i eat them every day but you will find some conflicting info depending on where you look. For almonds i work on the following

Protein and fat are in line per 100g, but the carbs are way different ("my" 9g compared to "your" 20g per 100g), although I don't know which one is correct! For a eating plan calling on 50g carbs per day, that could make a big difference.

Yes, that is correct. That is why it's important to actually measure your own individual body's repsonse to all types of food you eat or want to eat. Buy a cheap BG meter (they even give it away for free sometimes) and some test strips and measure your Blood glucose response after eating say 100 grams of almonds. Then you have the best pictture of what happens and how much you can eat of a certain food.

Protein and fat are in line per 100g, but the carbs are way different ("my" 9g compared to "your" 20g per 100g), although I don't know which one is correct! For a eating plan calling on 50g carbs per day, that could make a big difference.

It seems that you get different info on every nutritional site. I posted a diet schedule for you a couple of posts back. This is what i follow on cardio days. Does not differ much from the other days though

Even a block or two of Lindt chocolate can be had...

Lindt - Excellence 70% Cacao 100g (10 blocks)

Energy: 533kC

Fat: 40g (of which 23g is saturated)

Carb: 33g (of which 27g is sugar)

Protein: 7g

Lindt - Excellence 70% Cacao 10g (1 block)

Energy: 53kC

Fat: 4g (of which 2.3g is saturated)

Carb: 3.3g (of which 2.7g is sugar)

Protein: 0.7g

It seems that you get different info on every nutritional site. I posted a diet schedule for you a couple of posts back. This is what i follow on cardio days. Does not differ much from the other days though

I know! Thanks for your and Topwines ideas of your diets.

Andy dude i can post you the diet schedule of 1 of my days in the week:

Meal 1: Breakfast: 100g mince (raw weight) / 15g coconut oil / 2 eggs / 30g cottage cheese

Meal 2 (10am): 30g nuts (peanuts or almonds or peacan or brazillian) / 30g whey protein

Meal 3: Lunch: 200g mince (or steak - raw weight) / 100g veggies / 30g mayo

Meal 4 (4pm): 20g nuts / 10g coconut oil

Meal 5: Dinnier: 200g chicken (or 250g fish) / 50g green leafy salad / 20g olive oil / some more salad dressing

Meal 6: 28g cream cheese / 20g whey protein / 15g flaxseed oil

Protein: 187g

Carbs: 25.3g

Fat: 153.4g

All food weights are raw weights

It looks ok. What is the total calories/ kilojoules ? Bit difficult to comment on the exact protein amount without knowing your lean body mass and whether you want to build muscle mass or merely maintain it .

I hear you. I'm in a similar boat although my cholesterol is hovering around the 5 so ok but I watch it. Was on meds for about 4 years but been off for 2 and its stable. When your GP and cardiologist tell you to do Y, and Noakes and others tell you to do X its not easy being the integer in the middel - even if you'd like to give the new thinking a full go.

PS Good luck

Edited by dracs

It looks ok. What is the total calories/ kilojoules ? Bit difficult to comment on the exact protein amount without knowing your lean body mass and whether you want to build muscle mass or merely maintain it .

Total cal is 2229

Current weight is 77kg and bf 10% (probably less now). Want to maintain weight while dropping bodyfat to about 6%

Total cal is 2229

Current weight is 77kg and bf 10% (probably less now). Want to maintain weight while dropping bodyfat to about 6%

1.5 g protein / kg body mass is adequate to maintain and even build muscle. That means about 115 / 120 grams protein a day for you. Your 187g looks high ( to me ) and could lead to your BG levels to be higher than it should be.

Thanks Topwine! I also found allot of different opinions on the amount of protein to maintain muscle. Some say 1g per pound of lean body weight. Which is about 152g. So yes, i am bit high on that. I just don't want to go too low on the total daily calories. Apparently maintenance calories for me is 2500cal

Apparently maintenance calories for me is 2500cal

Only yourself can know this figure. Everyone's metabolism is different. It also depends on how much you expend by exercise every day. For me (68 kg ), 2500 cal is very high if I don't exercise every day.