Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

Being carb sensitive i decided to give this approach a go. I manipulated my macro nutrients so most of my calories come from fat and protein and i just have enough carbs to fuel my workout. In the last 8 weeks i gained 4% bodyfat. This proves to me that there is no set formula. Each and every person reacts differently. For me even though i am carb sensitive i also cannot handle a high fat intake. High protein with a moderate to low amount of carbs and fat seems to be the best for me

My point: it is a bit ambitious to say that a high protein and fat diet with low carbs is the optimal diet for everybody

I agree Jaco, I think Noakes is coming from a very academic place and his opinions are a little misplaced in the mainstream media. The vast majority of people need a common sense approach to diet that fits with their particular lifestyle.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Jaco, I think Noakes is coming from a very academic place and his opinions are a little misplaced in the mainstream media. The vast majority of people need a common sense approach to diet that fits with their particular lifestyle.

Hijack: Luke, you racing this year?

Being carb sensitive i decided to give this approach a go. I manipulated my macro nutrients so most of my calories come from fat and protein and i just have enough carbs to fuel my workout. In the last 8 weeks i gained 4% bodyfat. This proves to me that there is no set formula. Each and every person reacts differently. For me even though i am carb sensitive i also cannot handle a high fat intake. High protein with a moderate to low amount of carbs and fat seems to be the best for me

My point: it is a bit ambitious to say that a high protein and fat diet with low carbs is the optimal diet for everybody

How much grams of carbs did you eat per day ? IF it was more than 20 grams and less than 2 weeks required for the adaption period, you did it wrong .

You might like to research Tim Noakes 's background and read properly all his writings before you want to make a comment like that. Further, Tim Noakes is only trying to make popular a diet lifestyle that is quickly making headway in the rest of the world. It is funny, before 1965, it was actually recognized that a high carbohydrate makes you fat ! Big business had other plans in the interim though.

How much grams of carbs did you eat per day ? IF it was more than 20 grams and less than 2 weeks required for the adaption period, you did it wrong .

To my understanding he does not follow a total ketogenic diet. The message being relayed is that carbs is the culprit and we do not have to consume a large amount of these but rather get the bulk of calories from protein and fat. It will be very difficult for a athlete (especially endurence) to follow a total ketogenic diet.. I am not saying he is totally wrong. Relating to the carbs he is spot on with how my body reacts. I can't handle and dont need much. For me the high fat part is the problem. I use good fats like coconut oil, olive oil and almonds

I lost 16kg's by cutting down on my carb intake and increasing my protein intake, and exercising more. The funny thing is that so many people have complimented me on my weight loss and have asked me how I did it, but after I shared with them, you get - I could never do that because I like potatoes too much or I like pasta too much. People are so set in their habits it is too difficult for them to try something new or to accept that what they are doing is wrong, despite the fact that they are obese. For me I am 45 and I feel and look better than I did when I was 25, thanks to a high protein low carb diet.

To my understanding he does not follow a total ketogenic diet. The message being relayed is that carbs is the culprit and we do not have to consume a large amount of these but rather get the bulk of calories from protein and fat. It will be very difficult for a athlete (especially endurence) to follow a total ketogenic diet.. I am not saying he is totally wrong. Relating to the carbs he is spot on with how my body reacts. I can't handle and dont need much. For me the high fat part is the problem. I use good fats like coconut oil, olive oil and almonds

I think you dont quite understand him properly then, because he actually is following a ketogenic diet. He is in a constant state of nutritional ketosis. And stop saying HE is wrong. It is really not about him, but about the ketogenic lifestyle wordwide and the science and art of it. High fat diets (and it depends on what your definition of "high" is) is not bad, as long as you eat adequate (not high ) protein , with low carbs from mostly leafy vegatables. Thats the basis. There is a lot more to it, buts a start.

Edited by Topwine

I think you dont quite understand him properly then, because he actually is following a ketogenic diet. He is in a constant state of nutritional ketosis. And stop saying HE is wrong. It is really not about him, but about the ketogenic lifestyle wordwide and the science and art of it. High fat diets (and it depends on what your definition of "high" is) is not bad, as long as you eat adequate (not high ) protein , with low carbs from mostly leafy vegatables. Thats the basis. There is a lot more to it, buts a start.

I think you are misunderstanding me! I am not saying he is wrong. I can only speak for the way my body reacts to nutrition. My body does very well on a high protein and low carb diet! My body just cannot handle large amounts of fat. Like some people can tolerate lactose and others not, some digest fat better than others. Diet is not cookie cutter and a specific nutritional breakdown might/will not suit everybody

I totally agree with his opinion on carbs!

I think you are misunderstanding me! I am not saying he is wrong. I can only speak for the way my body reacts to nutrition. My body does very well on a high protein and low carb diet! My body just cannot handle large amounts of fat. Like some people can tolerate lactose and others not, some digest fat better than others. Diet is not cookie cutter and a specific nutritional breakdown might/will not suit everybody

I totally agree with his opinion on carbs!

Ok, but how do you get your needed calories/kilojoules then if it is not from fats and carbs, because your protein intake should not be higher than between 1.5 - 1.8 grams / kg ? I've never heard from someone not tolerating fats before :)

Edited by Topwine

I would be interested to know what you ate? Will you fill me in?

Ok, but how do you get your needed calories/kilojoules then if it is not from fats and carbs, because your protein intake should not be higher than between 1.5 - 1.8 grams / kg ? I've never heard from someone not tolerating fats before :)

That is the thing! I take in about 3.2g of protein per kg bodyweight (78kg). Total macro breakdown is 255g protein/200g carbs/90g fat. I am still keeping the fat high even though bodyfat increased over the last 8 weeks. I am just upping my cardio now since i have not been doing much riding since feb this year. My body's difficulty with fat is just a observation of late. Only thing i have changed from previously is upping fat intake, rest remained constant.

So what is a common sense approach?

I would be interested to know what you ate? Will you fill me in?

You can see my breakdown above! My protein came mostly from mince/chicken/tuna. Carbs came from sweet potato/potato/rice (white and brown) and oats. Apart from the fats in those foods i am taking in extra fats in form of almonds/coconut oil/natural peanut butter/olive oil