2012 S-Works Epic 29er stolen - R5,000 reward!!

Steelman

Hi everyone

I just wanted to let you know that my brand new 2012 Specialized S-Works Epic 29er was stolen at a burglary last week Tuesday (the bike had one ride only).

It is the 2012 XTR version in size medium. It is in a matt black finish and has the serial number WSBC604091145SG.

It has the standard S-Works spec, i.e. a carbon RockShox fork, full XTR, S-Works cranks and carbon Roval carbon wheels. The only difference from the standard spec is a Schwalbe Racing Ralph front tyre. It also had a set of older XTR pedals on.

The bike was most likely stolen on Tuesday 6th March from my house and there will be a R5,000 reward for anyone that can provide information that leads to the recovery of the bike.

If anyone has seen or know the whereabouts of my bike, please contact me urgently or send me an e-mail to jbrodbeck@ens.co.za

Thanks for all you help in advance.

Hey man, really sorry about your bike. A while ago there was a thread on the hub where a guy's stolen bike ended up at a store in Plumbstead - there are some dodgy places out there. Keep a lookout on gumtree (and other popular classifieds) and contact all the stores you can in your area to let them keep a lookout because these guys will have to sell the bike somewhere and may not have the know-how to take it apart

Edited by Above Average Joe

That's my dream bike! Hopefully it will be recovered soon, not easy to hide such a rare machine, haven't even seen a black Specialized S-Works Epic 29er in the flesh. I see it was tweeted on bicyclesafetysa from the Facebook post of Tumbleweed, hopefully we'll get a few re-tweets from the followers. This is the S-Works Epic Carbon 29 XTR.

post-4329-0-26308500-1331553933.jpeg

BTW, I have noticed that there are many bicycles being stolen out of Cape Town lately, just last week there was a Bulls bike, a week before a Giant, what's up with that, can't you get a real job in Kaapstadt anymore?

I hope your bike gets recovered soon,did you have insurance?

My guess is that it was sold to someone at the Argus for less than your reward.

Unlucky man but as gummibear says ... probably sold for a very punitive amount

Insured right?

Well then I'd say you're in luck! Save your 5000 ZA Ronds, and get something better... something more unique, something more fun!

I hear 650B wheels are all the rage these days http://www.thehubsa....650b-validated/

Be a trend setter! Your friends will think you're twice as cool!

Been there. You can read my review of the KHS 650B bike on bicycling.co.za. Nice bike but not the same as the 29er epic...

That's my dream bike! Hopefully it will be recovered soon, not easy to hide such a rare machine, haven't even seen a black Specialized S-Works Epic 29er in the flesh. I see it was tweeted on bicyclesafetysa from the Facebook post of Tumbleweed, hopefully we'll get a few re-tweets from the followers. This is the S-Works Epic Carbon 29 XTR.

You wouldn't know what to do with it, it's got gears...lots of them! ;)

:offtopic: slaps own wrist....sorry for your loss Steelman, hope it's found (in a condition that you'd actually want it back in)

Steelman,

I have the exact same bike, stock standard and I'm probably going to put the same tyre on at it's next service which is this week.

I feel your pain, especially since we waited so long for the frikking bike to be released. I suggest getting Specialized to send out an alert to all their stores (there's only 26 of them country wide) and tell them to look out for your serial number. Bobby told me that there are very few mediums in the country so the shops don't even need the serial number. Check the bike and ask for the papers...It'll probably surface at some side street bike shop though but who knows...

There are a few in Northern suburbs, get in touch with Deon at Cyclefunatic -- great service (where I got mine), he has one on the floor but i think it's a large.

Good luck.

Edited by Actionman

Steelman,

I have posted this link on the Tygerberg MTB facebook page...the more people read this, the greater the chances of recovering your bike.

Unfortunately Neil is a member of the hub so monitors posts like this... It is my understanding that the dodgy stuff is kept out of his store now as people had worked out that was the first place to look (I may be wrong, but I believe he has a fair collection of pricy machinery at his house that never seems to reach the open market). If it was stolen in the Southern Suburbs, it is possible that he knows where to find it (this is going on the +- 9 stolen bikes he has been caught with to date). I am sure it will be spotted once sold on to a new "owner" so just post about it everywhere you possibly can so people can look out for it - it is a fairly distinctive bike.

You wouldn't know what to do with it, it's got gears...lots of them! ;)

:offtopic: slaps own wrist....sorry for your loss Steelman, hope it's found (in a condition that you'd actually want it back in)

...and it's got a suspension system that will confuse the crap out of me, I'll most probably end up at Groen Dakkies :blink:

Who is Neil and are you serious about him been caught with pricy stolen bikes?

As for taking the bike apart, the shop owners simply need to look for the roval wheels, brain shock with the adjuster at the top (new) and of course, the very unique black frame which is the high cost item.

Come on guys, let's find this one...

maybe the dude will follow Jason's example (olympic cycles) 'sorry bud, this one is stolen, bring the papers and I'll give it back to you'