Cost of MTB stage events

slabs

Depends what you would consider as a moderate income!

Exactly, its house of cards waiting to crumble.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even for big races most people I know book themselves into a different environment which also costs money, I for example like to go to harkerville, or book out the house on eselfontein for a couple of days to just get solid miles in. The advantage of doing races before the time is simple, you ride so much harder during a race than you normally would while out training your usual routes. Hence it has more of an effect and you have a accurate measure of fitness close to the big events.

Yeah most poeple with moderate incomes can afford to spend 30-50k to do a epic, and up to 20k to do a DCM. Fact is if you want to now take part in the really big high profile stage races you need a corporate sponsor. Or save up a couple of years, maybe take a second mortage on your house.

But is that not the same for life in general. There are many things that I would love to do, but I can't afford it....that's just life. Either consider whether it is worth sacrificing a couple of years of your life to work you arse off, or move on and get over the fact that you can't afford everything...

Like others, I say vote with your wallet. If it is too expensive, don't do it. Look at 3 towers - still about R 4500 per team, all inclusive. Do those kind of events, and the guys trying to rip us will have to reconsider.

Supply and demand - gotta love free market economy.

Edited by G-Unit

But is that not the same for life in general. There are many things that I would love to do, but I can't afford it....that's just life. Either consider whether it is worth sacrificing a couple of years of your life to work you arse off, or move on and get over the fact that you can't afford everything...

Don't take it personal and don't see it as me judging you.

If you can afford the R 18 k for Tour De Tuli, then there is more in life you can do than most others.

Perhaps, but I can tell you now that I can only afford 1% of the things that I would like to do.

That's the same for just about everyone.

Perhaps, but I can tell you now that I can only afford 1% of the things that I would like to do.

That's the same for just about everyone.

Very true.

I really take my hat off to the mankele 3 towers guys(Mark and Geoff), they really put on an awesome event for very reasonable, 4800 per team...full board for a three day event.

Yeah sure there a many things i would also love to do but cant afford, However there is a difference between just being plainly ripped off. DCM is about half the price of the epic, and Sani is about half the price of the DCM. All similar type races, All remotely located, etc etc etc. What justifies one race being 3 times more expensive than the other.

And the answer there is simple marketing, since the marketing dept has created it into a "prestigious" event you may now rip people of at will and the super rich will come and do it, becuase they love prestige. And the organizer love the money in their wallet. Its got nothing to do with futhering cycling as a whole, its got to do with furthering the image of events like the epic, so that the organizers may continue to charge people whatever they feel happy with.i.e. common joe unless sponsored can forget about doing it. And that to me is wrong.

What i like about the other organizers is that they have "funride" or "none-competative" events on the same routes but at cheaper prices so you can at least experiance something similar without going bankrupt.

Yeah sure there a many things i would also love to do but cant afford, However there is a difference between just being plainly ripped off. DCM is about half the price of the epic, and Sani is about half the price of the DCM. All similar type races, All remotely located, etc etc etc. What justifies one race being 3 times more expensive than the other.

And the answer there is simple marketing, since the marketing dept has created it into a "prestigious" event you may now rip people of at will and the super rich will come and do it, becuase they love prestige. And the organizer love the money in their wallet. Its got nothing to do with futhering cycling as a whole, its got to do with furthering the image of events like the epic, so that the organizers may continue to charge people whatever they feel happy with.i.e. common joe unless sponsored can forget about doing it. And that to me is wrong.

What i like about the other organizers is that they have "funride" or "none-competative" events on the same routes but at cheaper prices so you can at least experiance something similar without going bankrupt.

People do however have an inherent ability to figure out whether they are being ripped off, including the so-called Superrich. People will just vote with their feet if they are not seeing the value. And it will all just come to nought in the end...

3 Towers is easily the best value, accommodation and food from the night before until the last day, the guys also don't mind you sticking around in your tent on the last night either, chance to get in a last chill ride before heading home - entries are open now and it will book up quickly.

People do however have an inherent ability to figure out whether they are being ripped off, including the so-called Superrich. People will just vote with their feet if they are not seeing the value. And it will all just come to nought in the end...

that my friend is wishfull thinking amongst the elite than can throw away money.

People with money will pay anything to say they have it or they have done it it has nothing to do with value.

Here is a nice example

Stuart Hughes iPhone 4 Diamond Rose Edition – $8 million

http://cdn.most-expensive.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/expensive-iphone-4-rose-diamond.jpg

If you thought his iPhone 3GS Supreme was impressive, check out the latest iPhone from Stuart Hughes–the iPhone 4 Diamond Rose Edition. Hughes has recreated the infamous antenna band that wraps around the sides of the latest iPhone, as well as the backplate, using rose gold. The band is adorned with 100 carats of flawless diamonds, and the Apple logo is formed with fifty-three more diamonds. Once again, the home button gets the most love–it’s made of platinum and features a rare 7.4-carat pink diamond.

The phone comes in an imperial pink 7-kilogram chest cut from a single block of granite and lined with nubuck top-grain leather. It also comes with an 8-carat flawless diamond that can be used in place of the pink one.

that my friend is wishfull thinking amongst the elite than can throw away money.

People with money will pay anything to say they have it or they have done it it has nothing to do with value.

Here is a nice example

Stuart Hughes iPhone 4 Diamond Rose Edition – $8 million

http://cdn.most-expensive.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/expensive-iphone-4-rose-diamond.jpg

If you thought his iPhone 3GS Supreme was impressive, check out the latest iPhone from Stuart Hughes–the iPhone 4 Diamond Rose Edition. Hughes has recreated the infamous antenna band that wraps around the sides of the latest iPhone, as well as the backplate, using rose gold. The band is adorned with 100 carats of flawless diamonds, and the Apple logo is formed with fifty-three more diamonds. Once again, the home button gets the most love–it’s made of platinum and features a rare 7.4-carat pink diamond.

The phone comes in an imperial pink 7-kilogram chest cut from a single block of granite and lined with nubuck top-grain leather. It also comes with an 8-carat flawless diamond that can be used in place of the pink one.

Yes, but can he afford an epic entry??? :w00t:

Edited by G-Unit

3 Towers event looks like great value. Pity it is the same weekend as the Midlands Ultra Tri

:thumbup:

See the Mashatu thread.Tumbleweed has also done it as well as many Hub members

I prefer this kind of thing than cruising down a sand road with hundreds of other riders and swallowing their dust

Same as the Otter Trail

I cannot believe that they run that in one day.What a waste

I have done it 3 times now.I book out the whole trail for family and friends(12 hikers) and enjoy the most spectacular piece of real estate for 5 days.

Going to book the Whale Trail 5 day for later in the year or early next year

Thats the way to do it :thumbup:

I had that on my bucket list but you have a very good point. Changed it to hike the otter again.