Rear Suspension Noise - Please Help!

flymango

I've got a Fox RP23 rear shock. From time to time as I go over obstacles, there's a noise which sounds like a stone hitting the frame. Sometimes it's quite loud. I think it's coming from the suspension system itself, and not the shock. Why is this? Can it be fixed? Is the integrity of the system at risk? Thanks.

Edited by flymango

my bike also did it, but it is usually just the linkage moving from side to side nothing to serious. if you have a stationary trainer mount the bike in it and push the seatpost side to side you will see the movement.

Had a similar problem and replaced the bushes on the shock which sorted it out. Cost about R120.00.

Had a similar problem and replaced the bushes on the shock which sorted it out. Cost about R120.00.

I 2nd this. Sad reality is it won't cost R120 to fix but more. It can also be worn bearings.

Did you do that yourself? Seems very cheap. But I'm almost sure it's not the shock but one of the "pivots" on the suspension system.

I 2nd this. Sad reality is it won't cost R120 to fix but more. It can also be worn bearings.

Any idea how to confirm if it's worn bearings?

Put your finger on each side of the shock ends first.Then slowly lift the rear of the bike.If you feel a click on your finger that small shock bush which is like a ring is worn. Only way to check bearings is take out bolts and turn bearings with your finger, if they cracky then they are worn.

Put your finger on each side of the shock ends first.Then slowly lift the rear of the bike.If you feel a click on your finger that small shock bush which is like a ring is worn. Only way to check bearings is take out bolts and turn bearings with your finger, if they cracky then they are worn.

Thanks.

If its the bearings then check them as soon as possible. A seized bearing can cause damage to your frame.

I replaced the rusty bearings (of which one was seized) on my mongoose with new ones and it cost me about R100. Solved the cracking problem instantly. Depending on your bike you might also be able to find replacement bearings easily.

i have had a sheared pivot bolt as a result of those creaky noises before. Had some creaks yesterday so sprayed some lubricant into all the bearing houses. That sorted it out, but i plan to do a strip and grease in the next couple of weeks

If its the bearings then check them as soon as possible. A seized bearing can cause damage to your frame.

I replaced the rusty bearings (of which one was seized) on my mongoose with new ones and it cost me about R100. Solved the cracking problem instantly. Depending on your bike you might also be able to find replacement bearings easily.

I assume you replaced the bearings yourself? Ten-thumb mango over here will ask his LBS to do it. Am I correct in saying the whole suspension system needs to be dismantled and then re-built, i.e. quite time-consuming?

I live out of town, so I find it easier just to let the LBS do everything in case i uncover more worn parts than planned and most importantly... They have a torque tool!

Save a buck or save your front teeth and collarbone?

I assume you replaced the bearings yourself? Ten-thumb mango over here will ask his LBS to do it. Am I correct in saying the whole suspension system needs to be dismantled and then re-built, i.e. quite time-consuming?

Ja I did the job myself had some help here and there though :) Basically all the main pivots that contains bearings needs to be removed. But you might have to remove some additional pivots depending on the frame. You may need to remove the crank aswell to get to some of the pivots. I would suggest looking at the tech manual of your bicycle manufacturer.

Took me about 3/4 day to do it this includes all the time I wasted looking around for missing tools, driving to the shop to get bearings etc. Also it was the first time I did it so I was super cautious. I think if your workspace is neat and in order it will take a lot less time. Luckily I have one of those BBB mini torque wrenches which came in very handy.

You have to be willing to take it slow and spend the time thinking things through and researching stuff on the net when doing this yourself. Since it can take a lot of time. Otherwise the bike shop is prob a better bet. But if you enjoy this kind of thing then def go for it its a great learning experience and you save some cash in the process.

..DU bush, should be no more than R100 for bush and labour.. although shop prices vary.

If it sounds as loud as a stone hitting the frame that could be something else, a worn DU bush should make a muffled clicking sound? Have you checked your frame?

@MariusD: I'm definitely not the type who enjoys mechanical stuff. So off to my LBS it will be.

..DU bush, should be no more than R100 for bush and labour.. although shop prices vary.

If it sounds as loud as a stone hitting the frame that could be something else, a worn DU bush should make a muffled clicking sound? Have you checked your frame?

Yes. But I'll look again.