What to drink while riding??

Cyclenatic

Hi all, i am a mountain biker, been riding a while now with only water and want something not too expensive to race with.... more for racing then training,any suggestions?? (en dit moet lekker wees)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are your intentions with this 'something' to drink whilst racing?

If you merely do not like the taste of water, try Game or Energade, with Energade being the sweeter one of the two (I prefer Game).

For nutrition it is a hit and miss affair as what works for one upsets the stomach of another, and with people being very brand concious you might not get any real advise.

To go cheap, try the Asker Jeukendrup mix, read here: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/30246-asker-jeukendrups-home-made-go-faster-drink/page__hl__asker+jeukendrup__fromsearch__1

Oros does it also

Rehidrat Sport not too expensive but effective

Just don't try something new before any race

Southern Comfort and Appletiser.

I love Southern Comfort with Appletiser or orange juice....but on the bike i prefer Isostar Hydrate.

Edited by twentysevenpointfive

Spaar jou geld en bly by water.

I had a chat with Chris Vroom a while back, he recons most of the peleton at the TDF only uses water and gels. If its good enough for them it's good enough for you.

If you're doing a long day (4-6 hours) and need the electrolyte replacement, try some enervit tablets or rehydrat. Anything shorter water and gels will be fine.

Edited by zeepee

Everyone is bound to give you a different answer, because everyone prefers different things. I second HEman on the Game/Energade front. You can use the Energade concentrate and mix your own depending on how you like it diluted. I prefer Game because it isn't as sweet, which I find is much nicer than a sickly sweet drink. Otherwise try diluting other drinks, such as apple juice or flat Coke.

Everyone is bound to give you a different answer, because everyone prefers different things. I second HEman on the Game/Energade front. You can use the Energade concentrate and mix your own depending on how you like it diluted. I prefer Game because it isn't as sweet, which I find is much nicer than a sickly sweet drink. Otherwise try diluting other drinks, such as apple juice or flat Coke.

The keyword to the Coke is diluted because that implies FLAT Coke. Learned that the hard way as I was late for a race once and took empty bottles along. Filled up with Coke, entered the start pen, attempted a sip and had Coke on my glasses, behind my glasses, down my throat, up my nose.. and then the gun went. Was a very sticky ride :blush: