Audax

bazzerp

Didn't mean to dismiss your concerns BTW - sadly cycling in SA is way less safe than it should be, or we would like it. And I totally hear you in terms of choosing your times and routes when you cycle solo vs following a set route.

As you probably saw, I'm totally bitten by the PBP bug - which in practical terms means doing training and qualifying rides here in SA. I'm always nervous and cautious whenever I get on the bike though and head for the roads ....

I've been avoiding grumpy too... Unfortunately, the long solo km way in the middle of nowhere training for PBP (after the qualifying audax rides) took their mental toll on me in two near misses, one with three guys and another with four. I don't even want to talk about it! That's besides two other incidents with a knife and 9mm, also while out solo. It's all a tragedy beyond words, but that's just me.

We rode audax (at least those JHB training for PBP) in a group of about 6 or 7, especially given that you ride for a few days on end, like the 600Km. I don't see any other way than to ride in big groups.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find paying for an event is the easiest way to commit to doing it!

Absolutely! My plan is to submit an LEL entry in Jan'13, and then I've got to do it ...

I've been avoiding grumpy too... Unfortunately, the long solo km way in the middle of nowhere training for PBP (after the qualifying audax rides) took their mental toll on me in two near misses, one with three guys and another with four. I don't even want to talk about it! That's besides two other incidents with a knife and 9mm, also while out solo. It's all a tragedy beyond words, but that's just me.

We rode audax (at least those JHB training for PBP) in a group of about 6 or 7, especially given that you ride for a few days on end, like the 600Km. I don't see any other way than to ride in big groups.

Scary stuff - glad you got through it all. Seriously hoping not to get too much of that on the way to qualifiers etc ...

walker, I'll race you to the entry post !!

I managed to sell a holiday to England and Scotland, oh say around July - August 2013 !! :clap:

Project LEL started ! :eek:

PS you in somerset west ? Wanna chat about this over a beer ? Bridge Tavern ? May as well exercise the beer drinking in the mean time

No need :rolleyes: - but yeah, not safe here on your own, unfortunately that's the reality, nothing we can do.

By the way, I have family in Toronto (my daughter actually) great city, love it to bits.

walker, I'll race you to the entry post !!

I managed to sell a holiday to England and Scotland, oh say around July - August 2013 !! :clap:

(edited after an error was pointed out by Guy)

Project LEL started ! :eek:

PS you in somerset west ? Wanna chat about this over a beer ? Bridge Tavern ? May as well exercise the beer drinking in the mean time

Erm, but you'll be a year too early for LEL!!!

No need :rolleyes: - but yeah, not safe here on your own, unfortunately that's the reality, nothing we can do.

By the way, I have family in Toronto (my daughter actually) great city, love it to bits.

Well then, next time you visit TO, let me know - I'm getting to know all the craft breweries, and you can even use one of my bikes (not necessarily in that order). As you know, TO must be one of the best cycling cities out there, where a bike is regarded as a vehicle and you're entitled to take up a lane, not to mention bike lanes everywhere! We can even do an audax with the Toronto Randonneurs!

Slowbee, I was thinking maybe a whole bunch of hubbers should get together for LEL 2013, but then I remembered I've committed to the 1200Km Granite Anvil a few weeks before LEL ... I'm not sure how the body would react to two crazy rides within a few weeks of each other :eek:

Well then, next time you visit TO, let me know - I'm getting to know all the craft breweries, and you can even use one of my bikes (not necessarily in that order). As you know, TO must be one of the best cycling cities out there, where a bike is regarded as a vehicle and you're entitled to take up a lane, not to mention bike lanes everywhere! We can even do an audax with the Toronto Randonneurs!

Hey thanks, I love Toronto so you might not get rid of me. :rolleyes:

I visited my daughter in November 2011 and we will be in North America again from 24 May to 25 June this year, and spend a week in Toronto with my daughter.

Sorry, meant to add.............if you take me to the all craft breweries, you definitely WONT get rid of me! :rolleyes:

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Wanna chat about this over a beer ? Bridge Tavern ? May as well exercise the beer drinking in the mean time

Liking the sound of that ... count me in. Just don't expect me to ride there, it's at least 5km from my house ... ;)

Hey thanks, I love Toronto so you might not get rid of me. :rolleyes:

I visited my daughter in November 2011 and we will be in North America again from 24 May to 25 June this year, and spend a week in Toronto with my daughter.

Sorry, meant to add.............if you take me to the all craft breweries, you definitely WONT get rid of me! :rolleyes:

This place is crazy with the volume of craft breweries, and they all taste so damned good! I've moved from stouts to cream ales, just to make sure how they taste of course :w00t: ! My email's in my profile - send me a note when you're here in a few months time. Whereabouts is your daughter?

This place is crazy with the volume of craft breweries, and they all taste so damned good! I've moved from stouts to cream ales, just to make sure how they taste of course :w00t: ! My email's in my profile - send me a note when you're here in a few months time. Whereabouts is your daughter?

Scarborough, very close to the University,sort of between Highland creek and Scarborough village.

I often run down and around Lake Ontario, just beautiful.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Scarborough, very close to the University,sort of between Highland creek and Scarborough village.

OK, that's quite a way away, probably at least something like Krugersdorp to Boksburg - I'm in Oakville. We'll make a plan none-the-less!

OK, that's quite a way away, probably at least something like Krugersdorp to Boksburg - I'm in Oakville. We'll make a plan none-the-less!

Oh, okay, for a special brew I travel much further than that. :D

I know Oakwood, is it nearby.?