Audax

bazzerp

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Start one up :)

100% - the only reason the Cape Audax series exists today is that a bunch of us wanted to qualify for Paris-Brest-Paris 2015 and got permission from the then country ACP co-ordinator to create the series. But you need to really understand what Audax is before taking this on:

• it is not a race and there are no prizes. The only thing you earn by completing one is self satisfaction at your achievement (OK, and some bragging rights if that is your thing)
  • any route used has to meet certain criteria. The route planning process can be a time consuming and painful process initially
  • absolutely no outside support or help is allowed for riders on a route except at designated controls (approx every 60km to 80km)
  • there will be no organised help at controls either (unless you arrange it). Mostly, what constitutes a 'control' is a 24 hour garage at 2am in the morning, with some dodgy pies and the wandering village drunk hassling you for change or more alcohol. Do not for a moment picture a nice cosy PPA water table laden down with supplies and a friendly face.
  • Roads will not be closed or marshalled and you will occasionally get unpleasantly close fly-bys from idiot drivers on their cellphones
  • no one is coming out to fix your bike if it breaks. You need to know how to do that for yourself, and carry the spares to do so.

Honestly, Audax rides are fabulous and you'll make life long friends and experiences doing them. But they are not for sissies or necessarily for those who enjoy the competitive side of supported cycle racing.

Edited by walkerr

100% - the only reason the Cape Audax series exists today is that a bunch of us wanted to qualify for Paris-Brest-Paris 2015 and got permission from the then country ACP co-ordinator to create the series. But you need to really understand what Audax is before taking this on:

• it is not a race and there are no prizes. The only thing you earn by completing one is self satisfaction at your achievement (OK, and some bragging rights if that is your thing)

Not even a few beers at the end?

• any route used has to meet certain criteria. The route planning process can be a time consuming and painful process initially
  • absolutely no outside support or help is allowed for riders on a route except at designated controls (approx every 60km to 80km)
  • there will be no organised help at controls either (unless you arrange it). Mostly, what constitutes a 'control' is a 24 hour garage at 2am in the morning, with some dodgy pies and the wandering village drunk hassling you for change or more alcohol. Do not for a moment picture a nice cosy PPA water table laden down with supplies and a friendly face.
  • Roads will not be closed or marshalled and you will occasionally get unpleasantly close fly-bys from idiot drivers on their cellphones

Therein lies the real problem.

• no one is coming out to fix your bike if it breaks. You need to know how to do that for yourself, and carry the spares to do so.

Honestly, Audax rides are fabulous and you'll make life long friends and experiences doing them. But they are not for sissies or necessarily for those who enjoy the competitive side of supported cycle racing.

Ja, I would need to train lekker for an Audax event. I assume both body and mind would have to be conditioned for something like this.

Edited by WeekendWarrior80

Ja, I would need to train lekker for an Audax event. I assume both body and mind would have to be conditioned for something like this.

Pretty much all long distance events become as much about mind as the body - the longer they get, the more the mind is the governing factor for success.

Edit: I can't possibly officially comment on beers while riding since I believe there may be some road laws around that kind of thing :w00t:

Edited by walkerr

Pretty much all long distance events become as much about mind as the body - the longer they get, the more the mind is the governing factor for success.

Edit: I can't possibly officially comment on beers while riding since I believe there may be some road laws around that kind of thing :w00t:

:lol:  nah, I meant, not even a few beers AFTER the event. I haven't tried drinking while riding yet.

Edited by WeekendWarrior80

:lol:  nah, I meant, not even a few beers AFTER the event. I haven't tried drinking while riding yet.

Ah - misunderstood. Yep, feel free to enjoy some with any of your mates who survive .... it has been known to happen ... but like someone said at the weekend Audax braai, it's like Fight Club ... 1st rule is ....

A couple of years back Eddie was considering doing offroad Audax - to tap into the mtb market and possible improve road safety issues. I don't think it got off the ground.

A couple of years back Eddie was considering doing offroad Audax - to tap into the mtb market and possible improve road safety issues. I don't think it got off the ground.

There have been several Gravel Audaxes held in Gauteng

There were only 3 riders at last years Dirtdax - nice route at the Brits canals and further out, but plenty corrugation and some sandy stretches as well.

There were only 3 riders at last years Dirtdax - nice route at the Brits canals and further out, but plenty corrugation and some sandy stretches as well.

It's definitely a crossover discipline. Those Randonneurs that want to qualify for PBP, Dirtdax is a tough way to do it - 15km/h Audax overall minimum (not moving, but total elapsed) on tar is very different to the same on corrugations and sand. Especially 40hrs and 600km of it! And those who want proper MTB, want single track. The gravel backroads cycling movement is still fairly small and nowhere near mainstream here yet. In fact 2 of the bigger gravel rides got cancelled as official rides due to lack of interest - Karoobaix and Trans Karoo.

Edit - I should add, there's been at least 2x Dirtdaxes I've seen mention of in Gauteng this winter also. Haven't followed them much myself because they're not ACP rides, and I'm in the Cape, so don't get to see info on turnout and finishers.

Edited by walkerr

• 5 months later...

Mmmm so I've done a 200 and 300 ... @CharlesZ has planted a little seed as I believe there is a 400 on the 23rd of March.

Anyone have any idea what route it might be?

Have to get it passed my SO as I would prefer to just 'go it alone' but she may not be so keen.

Depending on the route was thinking is it allowed for example that you can be met at a checkpoint say early in the morning to get rid of the night riding stuff you would need (lights, batteries, jackets etc.) and to get some extra food/juice stuff ....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mmmm so I've done a 200 and 300 ... @CharlesZ has planted a little seed as I believe there is a 400 on the 23rd of March.

Anyone have any idea what route it might be?

Have to get it passed my SO as I would prefer to just 'go it alone' but she may not be so keen.

Depending on the route was thinking is it allowed for example that you can be met at a checkpoint say early in the morning to get rid of the night riding stuff you would need (lights, batteries, jackets etc.) and to get some extra food/juice stuff ....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Route is usually announced the week or so before - I haven't seen it myself as yet for Gauteng (Cape 400 route for MarchI do have). Best to subscribe to the emailer, and also keep an eye on the FB page, There's a couple of WhatsApp groups too, and a general email address: info@audaxsa.co.za

Going to be my first Audax on 24 March - 200k's from Procycles out on the East Rand.  I already have permission for LEL in August 2021 - 30 months to get ready for 1400k's.....plenty of time and lots of events listed on www.audaxsa.co.za.  I never had the resources before but now with my boet living in London the cashflow works :-)