Audax

bazzerp

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ppffff you only do this for one reason... PBP !!! cant wait for the guys to start training again. Love reading the battle stories.

Have a look here, although the events are all up-country. Thread went quiet with an enquiry about rides in the Western Cape.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/112045-audax-rides/page__hl__audax__fromsearch__1

Maybe contact Eddy. His contact details are in the attachment.

ppffff you only do this for one reason... PBP !!! cant wait for the guys to start training again. Love reading the battle stories.

Disagree, those 200km rides are actually quite nice to do just for fun :)

Audax is tiny in SA compared to the UK.

Contact Eddie Thomlinson - tet@telkomsa.net, who heads the club.

Audax is even smaller in the Cape, but Eddie can give you the right contacts in that respect. As for the Johannesburg gang, some are keen on the 1400Km London-Edinburgh-London in 2013...

:thumbup:

Disagree, those 200km rides are actually quite nice to do just for fun :)

There's this arse clown from my old man's cycling club, he rides from Springs to Nelspruit for fun. He rode from Springs to the start of the Epic one year, didn't have an entry or anything, rode the first to stages as well, then got found and kicked off, rode home. Reckon he does the same sort of mileage as F_ _A_I_L, and has more screws loose.

I used to do a few of the longer Audax rides just for the ride, but I started feeling they were very unsafe, one day I came across a woman who had fallen and was in a terrible state, not badly injured but just all shook up and panicky, she couldnt even work her phone properly, as Audax has no support she was trying to call a friend to help but already locals were all around her and actually it was getting scary.

Anyway we got it all sorted and there was no serious injury or loss but I stopped riding Audax there and then, unless you can organize your own support, our Audax rides and routes are just not conducive to riding alone or unassisted, especially for woman.

I know people say well "its like a training ride" but I dont pay for a training ride, and I pick my own route to be safe, Audax routes are out in the middle of nowhere, and if something happens, I dont even know if you could be found, unfortunately this is not the UK or Europe where you can ride an Audax unassisted, and that in my opinion is why its so small.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

And LEL - which is next year in UK - http://www.londonedinburghlondon.com/

I see GuyP has posted some info above on who to contact for Guateng and Western Cape

Edited by walkerr

I used to do a few of the longer Audax rides just for the ride, but I started feeling they were very unsafe, one day I came across a woman who had fallen and was in a terrible state, not badly injured but just all shook up and panicky, she couldnt even work her phone properly, as Audax has no support she was trying to call a friend to help but already locals were all around her and actually it was getting scary.

Anyway we got it all sorted and there was no serious injury or loss but I stopped riding Audax there and then, unless you can organize your own support, our Audax rides and routes are just not conducive to riding alone or unassisted, especially for woman.

I know people say well "its like a training ride" but I dont pay for a training ride, and I pick my own route to be safe, Audax routes are out in the middle of nowhere, and if something happens, I dont even know if you could be found, unfortunately this is not the UK or Europe where you can ride an Audax unassisted, and that in my opinion is why its so small.

I haven't done any yet - but I get the impression there's more organization and thoughts to safety these days. Certainly correspondence I've had from Eddie and Anthony (@pbp2007) here in the cape gives me that impression. I know Anthony and the guys here are hoping to get a series of monthly Audax rides going again for those of us in WC who want to train for LEL and PBP

dont click on the LEL, dont click on the LEL, dont click on the ... dont click ............click .......... :eek:

this should be a great easy holiday sell to the wife !

dont click on the LEL, dont click on the LEL, dont click on the ... dont click ............click .......... :eek:

this should be a great easy holiday sell to the wife !

Haha - I spent most of last week trying to figure how to raise the subject with mine. Luckily we had a Friday evening dinner planned which was the perfect opportunity. She was reasonably warm to the idea of visiting family / sightseeing giving me a chance to ride.

I got following info from organizers:

===

The event will take place from Sunday 28 July to Thursday 1 August 2013. Registration will be on 27 July 2013. Our start location will be:

Davenant Foundation School

Chester Road

Loughton

Essex

IG10 2LD

Riders will start in groups, between 07:00 and 10:00. You will not be able to choose your start time, but you will be able to start with your friends.

You will also be able to start in central London. We are arranging a special start at 06:00, hopefully from outside Buckingham Palace.

The route is 1400km, with a minimum speed of 12kph throughout. It passes through a wide variety of countryside, with both hilly and flat sections. The route is not signposted, but we will provide you with a routesheet and gpx files.

We haven’t confirmed the entry fee yet, but it is likely to be around £210. This will include:

- all food and drink at controls

- dormitories

- showers

- finishers’ medal

- motorbike support along the route

You will be able to enter online from 5 January 2013, and pay by credit or debit card. You do not need to qualify to enter.

We are developing our website, which will have much more information about the route and controls. We hope this will be ready soon, and we will send you another email to let you know.

===

Mail them and they'll put you on the mailing list for info.

Edited by walkerr

You do not need to qualify to enter

Oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no... now what... this is going to EAT at me, nibble nibble nibble away at every other excuse and drive me MAD.

Oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no... now what... this is going to EAT at me, nibble nibble nibble away at every other excuse and drive me MAD.

That was the line which caught my attention ...... :thumbup:

+1000000

it is already eating at me !!

its more than a year away - that is enough time to train ...... :unsure: only do the argus 15 or so times .. in a row .... at 12 kph

only do the argus 15 or so times .. in a row .... at 12 kph

With a more-than-generous 100 hour time limit ..... ;)

For those who don't know the UK well, I can guarantee there'll be some nice rolling scenery and nice towns/villages along the route.

There also be some long dull stretches I'm sure, and most likely nasty winds as you head up along the North East coast.

At least it's Summer in the UK - which means it'll be raining and cold ....

Edited by walkerr