Berg and Bush 2012

Beer4Recovery

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We are also doing the Great Trek. This time in 2 weeks, we will be on our flight to Durbs.

BTW, decided i'm taking the HT. Rode my FS yesterday for the first time in 2 months and I'm so much slower up the hills. Not just because its a FS, I've got more grippy tyres as well.

I'd rethink that. Done this a few times and no way I'd ride a hard tail if I had a choice. Some serious bumpy rocky tech sections, and have to wake up and go again the next day with sore body.

As a matter of interest who is doing what....we are doing the new Great trek which i have been told is going to be quite smallish field and lekker chilled....

Descent

Hi all - this is my first stage race! Any thoughts on what to expect. Am slightly concerned about technicality but Van Gaalens is my back yard training ground so do you reckon I should cope?

Edited by RMCC

Do you guys ride with a spare tyre on a event like this?

I only carry a tube but it's wise to pack a spare tyre (and some Stans) in case you need to replace between stages.

Do you guys ride with a spare tyre on a event like this?

definitely take a spare with you...and carry many bombs, tubes( make sure they are unpunctured) patches and pump. ( this from experience @ mankele )

Hi all - this is my first stage race! Any thoughts on what to expect. Am slightly concerned about technicality but Van Gaalens is my back yard training ground so do you reckon I should cope?

ha ha snap on VG. as long as you arent looking to win first time out youll be fine

Whoohoooo i managed to get and entry for free to the Descent. A friends training partner cant make it any more.

ha ha snap on VG. as long as you arent looking to win first time out youll be fine

Thanks! I have to admit I can't ride the entire poffadder hill though so there might be some hike with bike but can do Oem Piets / Greek Church and all the single track almost without dismounting...hoping there arent too many very big loose rock climbs as hiking with bike is not my favourite?

definitely take a spare with you...and carry many bombs, tubes( make sure they are unpunctured) patches and pump. ( this from experience @ mankele )

Experience indeed and tested your resolve but it was still a fantastic race! Looking forward to more of the same at Berg & Bush

Do you reckon roaming mechanics good enough or is it worth purchasing a bike package. I got quoted R250 per bike per day excluding parts...seems excessive?

Thanks! I have to admit I can't ride the entire poffadder hill though so there might be some hike with bike but can do Oem Piets / Greek Church and all the single track almost without dismounting...hoping there arent too many very big loose rock climbs as hiking with bike is not my favourite?

ive also never done this race before.....but im led to believe its a very relaxed race...look forward to meeting you!!