Prices of 2nd hand bikes

Scooterza

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been looking at the prices on the hub and there seem to be some very good bargains in the road bike section.

I agree that the mtb prices are high crazy

Why do bikes depreciate so fast?

Well over the last three years prices have actually come down on complete builds, parts are still expensive if you upgrade. In 2010 you could buy a giant anthem alu frame for R10500 now you can buy the carbon 2011 frame for 8k. that same carbon frame if you wanted it in 2010 would have costed you 17k. Basically we buy cause we want the latest and gratest, the market knows this and sells everything at over inflated prices for current models, and next year when the new stuff comes out they sell the previous years model, at proper market values, that way they make a crap load on the new kit, while getting rid of the old kit and still showing a hefty profit sheet.

Old rule of thumb was a year old at 60% of new , this does not happen anymore. now days its value is simply based on what people are willing to pay for it .

you need to be wise on your products or get srewed .

Cos they're not worth that much in the first place...

lol, so much of true. Just seems crazy when you look at other items.

Is there any other sport where equipment depreciates so quickly, it seems absurd, we are fueling the problem ourselves really?

Now the question is : is there a bike brand / manufacturer that keep value good ( depreciate slower )

Like say Merc and Toyota in motor vehicles?

Colnago...De Rosa...

Now the question is : is there a bike brand / manufacturer that keep value good ( depreciate slower )

Like say Merc and Toyota in motor vehicles?

Colnago...De Rosa...

Santa Cruz

:thumbup:

Not forgetting it can also be fraudsters trying to make a quick buck. I've also seen guys trying to sell 2nd hand bikes at new prices crazy

Yip, the pricing in a 2nd hand market should not just be about the value of the bike. The fact that the 2nd hand market is full of fraudsters should also reflect in the price of 2nd goods. I, as a buyer, am taking more of a chance buying 2nd hand so I should get a better rate for the increased risk I am taking on. I am also taking on the risk that there may in fact be a problem with the bike that has not been disclosed, not in every instance obviously but there are cases, so again the risk I am taking in this department should reflect in a lower price. Most 2nd goods are sold as is with no return policy.

Factor all of this in and a 2nd bike should really be FAR cheaper than a new one. People unknowingly buying these 2nd bikes at inflated prices are creating an inflated market. Users on this forum who constantly send newbies to buy in this market are perpetuating it (I still always think it's because they have their own 2nd goods they are trying to sell...). The real deals are few and far between. Until people factor in the buyer risks when selling second hand I would avoid doing so.

Basically we buy cause we want the latest and gratest, the market knows this and sells everything at over inflated prices for current models, and next year when the new stuff comes out they sell the previous years model, at proper market values, that way they make a crap load on the new kit, while getting rid of the old kit and still showing a hefty profit sheet.

Yip, that is was I was saying in the 29er/27.5 thread. The masses seem to have this desire to show off that they have the latest and will buy whatever the marketing gurus put out even when the actual advantage gained is minimal. I, for one, am quite happy to sit and wait for last years model to drop dramatically in price and snap it up. Far better than wasting your time in the second hand bike market trying to ensure you get a bargain and not a dud.

Edited by Clint_ZA

Guest Omega Man

Is there any other sport where equipment depreciates so quickly, it seems absurd, we are fueling the problem ourselves really?

I got a 2006 Yamaha YZ 250F motocross bike for 13k. They cost 71k new.

My mate Nic sold a 2010 Morewood Makulu frame with a 2010 Boxxer World Cup for 12k. The Makulu frame alone retails for 22-28k and a new boxxer WC is 13k

I think a general rule of thumb is that the more "exclusive" your item is the faster it will depreciate. As your 2nd hand market is smaller. For me personally my bikes are a sunk cost. I don't think of them as having any monetary value at all.

Yip, the pricing in a 2nd hand market should not just be about the value of the bike. The fact that the 2nd hand market is full of fraudsters should also reflect in the price of 2nd goods. I, as a buyer, am taking more of a chance buying 2nd hand so I should get a better rate for the increased risk I am taking on. I am also taking on the risk that there may in fact be a problem with the bike that has not been disclosed, not in every instance obviously but there are cases, so again the risk I am taking in this department should reflect in a lower price. Most 2nd goods are sold as is with no return policy.

Factor all of this in and a 2nd bike should really be FAR cheaper than a new one. People unknowingly buying these 2nd bikes at inflated prices are creating an inflated market. Users on this forum who constantly send newbies to buy in this market are perpetuating it (I still always think it's because they have their own 2nd goods they are trying to sell...). The real deals are few and far between. Until people factor in the buyer risks when selling second hand I would avoid doing so.

Not at all, people will be told if there prices here are to much on the Hub, its Gumtree and the like where this happens.

Yip, that is was I was saying in the 29er/27.5 thread. The masses seem to have this desire to show off that they have the latest and will buy whatever the marketing gurus put out even when the actual advantage gained is minimal. I, for one, am quite happy to sit and wait for last years model to drop dramatically in price and snap it up. Far better than wasting your time in the second hand bike market trying to ensure you get a bargain and not a dud.

Do more research, ask more questions and this won't happen. There are plenty of good deals around.