How profitable is the Epic for Kevin Vermaak (really)?

I think this type of marquee event would be nigh on impossible to put on in South Africa as a road event. Too many social, logistical and administrative issues. Look at the Tour of SA.

Plus the attraction for the international visitors is all about the bush. I think they'd be much less interested if you told them they had to ride around on SA roads for a week.

Another thing about the Epic that would not translate well to a road event : it's about both the pro's and the back markers. That would never work for a road event.

True, true...

What is highly marketable is indeed the stunning South African landscape.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm down here at the Epic and was told by a volunteer that they get preference on entry and a discount on the following year's event. I'm guessing that's worth the 3.5k...

Simple maths... 600 teams x R39,800 (yes thats the price for 2013) = +R23.9 million Sponsorships = +R13million TV rights and advertising = +R??? Less prize money of -R700k Less operating costs of say -R15m Food etc mostly sponsored so would put it at a profit of R21m?? Not bad!! But good for him, niche mkt etc and a race well done and marketed. So cudos, wish i had thought of it.

haven't got Tread in front of me, but from what i remember, you might have forgotten to factor in the following...

TV costs the event more than five million

Electricity for the villages runs to something like 700k per night

Full-time staff of something like 20 people, lets guess at an average of 10k per month, x 12 months, plus rental for office space for a year to host 20 people, plus phone, computer etc bills for 20 people for the year, plus plus plus

See, I got rid of two thirds of that huge profit without even trying very hard

Go and buy a copy, it makes interesting reading.