How profitable is the Epic for Kevin Vermaak (really)?

Hi Guys,

I know we can all do the simple maths. Y teams x Z fee = turnover. he obviously sells TV rights, get sponsorship money etc.

But I assume he has massive costs to run the race, organise it, logistics, marketing and so on, plus he has the overheads for himself for an entire year between races plus other salaries, costs, travel and so on.

How profitable do you think the Epic is really for him over the duration of each full year?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

I know we can all do the simple maths. Y teams x Z fee = turnover. he obviously sells TV rights, get sponsorship money etc.

But I assume he has massive costs to run the race, organise it, logistics, marketing and so on, plus he has the overheads for himself for an entire year between races plus other salaries, costs, travel and so on.

How profitable do you think the Epic is really for him over the duration of each full year?

Very

It is a successful business

Very

It is a successful business

AFAIK his company only focuses on the Epic. It is a full time job for a team of people for the entire year. They are already well into the preparation for next years as well.

An article on that in the latest Tread magazine, buy it and see ;)

Are there a link to an online version?

Kiosk does not sell them....

Ah ye age old "is Kevin a trillionare" question...

Tread said there is a rumour that he drives a Corvette or Veyron or ML63 or some *** but he only has "an old high mileage" Audi A3.

Personally I don't know and don't really care how rich the man is. All I know is thet R30K for a tenting mtb trip in Cape Town in March falls on the wrong side of my value scale. Me - I'd rather kick back at a 4 star resotr in Mauritius for that kinda moola.

As I've said before - value for money in stage racing is appalling - value for experience is incredible. All depends where you are on the income/value scale...

According to the article they operated on a loss the first few years. They are making a profit now, but probably not as much as you think. There are a lot of costs involved, paying the people that help out, etc.

AFAIK his company only focuses on the Epic. It is a full time job for a team of people for the entire year. They are already well into the preparation for next years as well.

I expect them to branch out into other sports and businesses.

Prob eventually get listed and he will retire a very wealthy man

In some ways reminds me a little of Felix Unite and his stable of event companys etc

People help for free. Take that iphone camera job from 2011.

Wrong... Worse... Volunteers have to pay to help... R3.5K!

I expect them to branch out into other sports and businesses.

Prob eventually get listed and he will retire a very wealthy man

In some ways reminds me a little of Felix Unite and his stable of event companys etc

Listed - you must be joking?