Giant Anthem X1 (2012) VS Giant Anthem X (2011)

Motard660

I am in the market for a new bike. :clap: , but have a choice of two. I really like the Giant Anthem's 29er's and need the advise from the more experienced people or those that actually have one of these bikes.

Both these bikes is exactly the same price by two different bike shops:

Bike 1:

Giant Anthem X1 2012 (new)

I can get this bike with tubeless conversion, Sram X7 2x10 changed to Sram X7 3x10 (need my granny gears) and any colour I want. It also come with a shock pump.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_za/bikes/models/images/550/2012/Anthem_X_29er_1.jpg

Specifications:

FRAME

Sizes S, M, L, XL Colors White/Silver Frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 4" Maestro Suspension Fork Fox F29 RL Evolution w/ 15mm Thru Axle, OverDrive 2 Steerer, 100mm Travel, 1 1/4"-1 1/2" Bearings Shock Fox FLOAT RP2 Boost Valve

COMPONENTS

Handlebar Giant Contact, Low Rise 31.8 Stem Giant Contact Ti, OverDrive 2 Seatpost Giant Connect SL, 30.9 Saddle Fi'zi:k Tundra 2 w/ Manganese Rails Pedals N/A

DRIVETRAIN

Shifters SRAM X7, 2x10 Speed Front Derailleur SRAM X7 Rear Derailleur SRAM X9 Brakes Avid Elixir 5, [F] 180mm [R] 160mm Brake Levers Avid Elixir 5 Cassette SRAM PG-1050 11x36, 10-Speed Chain SRAM PC-1051 Crankset SRAM X7, 26/39 Bottom Bracket SRAM GXP Press Fit

WHEELS

Rims Giant P-XC29-2 Hubs [F] Giant Tracker Sealed/CNC w/ 15mm Axle, [R] Giant Tracker Performance, 32h Spokes DT Swiss Competition Tires Schwalbe Racing Ralph, 29x2.25 EVO Folding TL Ready

Please note that this bike is the 2012 model, with tubeless and gears changed from 2x10 to 3x10 and a shock pump.

Bike 2:

Giant Anthem X (2011)

I can get this bike without tubeless conversion (additional R1400) and without a shock pump:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_generated/_generated_us/bikes/models/images/550/2011/Anthem_X_1_29er_polished_blue_72dpiWIDE.jpg

Specifications:

FRAME

Sizes S, M, L, XL Colors Polished/Blue Frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 4" Maestro Suspension Fork Fox F29 FIT RLC (Giant LTD Edition) w/ 15QR Thru Axle and Tapered Steerer, 100mm Travel Shock Fox Float RP23 Boostvalve

COMPONENTS

Handlebar Giant Contact, Flat 31.8 Stem Giant Contact Seatpost Giant Contact, 30.9 Saddle Fi'zi:k Tundra2 (Giant LTD Edition) w/ Manganese Rails Pedals Not Included

DRIVETRAIN

Shifters Shimano Deore XT M770, Rapidfire, 3x10 Speed Front Derailleur Shimano Deore XT M770 Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore XT Shadow, Top Normal, 10-Speed Brakes Avid Elixir CR (Giant LTD Edition), [F] 185mm [R] 160mm Brake Levers Avid Elixir CR, Giant LTD Edition Cassette Shimano Deore XT 11x36, 10-Speed Chain Shimano HG-74 Crankset Shimano Deore XT, 24/32/42 Bottom Bracket Shimano Press Fit

WHEELS

Rims Giant P-XC29 2 Hubs [F] Giant Tracker w/15mm Axle, [R] DT Swiss 350, 32h Spokes DT Swiss Competition 14/15g, w/ Alloy Nipples Tires Maxxis Crossmark, 120 tpi, 29x2.1 Folding

Please note that this bike is the 2011 model.

Go with the 2011 bike, not even a question, SRAM X7 vs Shimano XT, I would always go with the best group set possible.

I ride the 2011 model. I ride about 8-10 hours per week and definitely still need my granny gear so I agree that either way that 3 rings upfront is a necessity at my level. Either way Sram or Shimano is a personal choice and you can always change later.

The bike itself is great and you will not be disappointed.

Ito a tubeless conversion costing R1400 I think that is very expensive.

I did my own using bontrager tubeless system which cost me R80 per wheel and another R80 per valve. Throw in some sealant of your choice for between R100 and R200 and you have a grand total of aprox R500. By the way I found seating the tyres very easy using the Bontrager system. I had a tape based conversion previously but had hassles both front and back seating tyres until I changed to

Bontrager system. I dont know how much this weighs relative to a tape system but it works and has also been bullet proof on my son's 26" hardtail.

Either bike is cool . I would go for the shimano.

Hope this helps and enjoy the bike!

My Brother was in the same boat and went 2011, I think it looks better

I also have the 2011 model much better groupset and I think the CR brakes are top

the bikeshop should give you the shock pump free anyway I think its part of the shock

by the way my brother paid 17 K for his 2011 demo model I would expect to pay around 22K for your bike

I see there are a few good one s on the hub too

Anyway point is its a great bike and well priced

by the way in either case the wheels are easy to convert I used rim tape and a valve no problem

Added both sets of tyres on those bike are not very good for conversions the sidewall are to soft and thin.

Do a proper conversion at a later stage with decent tyres

I get the feeling the bikeshops do the conversion knowing you will be back to get the proper tyres after the first burp and possible wipeout.

agreed with the others. great bike either way, SRAM or shimano.

but R1400 for tubeless conversion? that's just over an order of magnitude overpriced. :blink:

Thank you everybody for your comments. The reason why the tubeless is R1400 is due to that he (bike shop) claim that the tyres on the 2011 model is not tubeless ready or convertible. That R1400 is for other tyres that is apparently tubeless ready. How far that is true, I don't know.

Thank you everybody for your comments. The reason why the tubeless is R1400 is due to that he (bike shop) claim that the tyres on the 2011 model is not tubeless ready or convertible. That R1400 is for other tyres that is apparently tubeless ready. How far that is true, I don't know.

errm, the tubeless conversion is meant for non-UST tires to work with non-UST rims in tubeless mode. Works all the time, so dont let that bike shop sell you on something that's not strictly speaking, a necessity. I've had it done, and plenty more on this forum. Dont let them rip you off.

They are spinning you a story here. Unless you want UST specific tyres, foldable are just as good.

I'd go for the 2011 bike, no question. Better brakes (more adjustability than the Elixir 5's) and a fork that comes with a compression adjustment and the FIT damper system over the bog standard Fox fork (Cap, how's that fork going, btw? :P ) And a better shock at the back.

And agreed wrt the tubeless conversion. They're spinning you a tale.

i had a 2011 and have a 2012 0 anthem. My 2011 got stolen and i miss this bike .xt 3x10 great gs .I have changed wheelset to mavic,but the originals also work fine.I would also suggest to raise the handelbar to a not so racing position.The colour sceme is gerat and the avid cr brakes work fine.The dt swiss rear hub can get noisy,lubricate with greas to reduce noise.Enjoy!!

To everybody that assisted me in my choice......A BIG THANK YOU. I took your people advice and bought the 2011 model. Must be honest, although the bike got better components, it is a mush nicer looking bike as well. I picked it up this afternoon and so stoke! Cant wait to try it out this weekend.