Tokai - Snake Eyes rebuild

Been there, done that for my nephews birthday party :lol: Never again

I love you, you love me, Caerus dresses up as Barney. With a bottle of rum and a shifty eye or two, you'd better watch out 'cos he's lookin at you...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love you, you love me, Caerus dresses up as Barney. With a bottle of rum and a shifty eye or two, you'd better watch out 'cos he's lookin at you...

The most shocking part is that I can still sing that tune - bloody hell - I was convinced I've uninstalled it from my brain! Now it's back! What do I do to get rid of it? Drown it is good Scotch? Get an exorcist?

ROFLMAO!!!

All of the above. As an extra precaution, swing a ho in anger this friday.

It's hoe.. get it?

So there were 5 of us on the mountain yesterday (as well as 2 minions) and we took care of the middle section of Snake Eyes. It's really looking good now, far better than what it was just a week ago. The majority of the erosion in the upper & middle sections has been addressed, and a divert has been put into place in order to install a far more sustainable section of trail, in place of what was an increasingly rutted and eroded corner (the biggish berm halfway down, where all the sand congregates) The divert will need to bed in for a while, but it makes the trail far better in terms of both erosion control and fun!

Other changes include the first biggish berm, just after the previously un-rideable drop-off. This "berm" used to be a double apex corner, which posed quite a problem as quite a lot of speed was being carried into the corner itself, and the sudden kinks caused confusion and technical challenges. In effect, you would enter the corner, and have to slam on brakes, then turn, slam on brakes and then turn again.

This corner is now a proper berm, being a consistent radius throughout its length. It has also been packed with clay in order to provide a firm base on which to ride, and to bond the sand which seems to be so prolific up there.

A lot of the sand is being carried away, but there is a LOT of it, and a full clearance will take time.

Today's rain should bed the track in quite nicely...

Now, there's just the bottom section to complete, which shouldn't take that long. The next day will see the removal of a lot of sand, and the inclusion of a few more features in order to inject a more fun, flowy style of track, as well as to take care of any unwelcome stumps that are in the middle of the trail (meh)

Thanks go out to

Pain or Shine (resident Overlord)

DJR (Owner of Minions)

The Crow (there can only be one)

MrT1

and, of course, Ramsew for the beer supply...

Edited by Pain or Shine

Aaaahhhh, the Rock Whisperer himself! Really enjoyed my first build day. Gonna be killer riding that section now.

Have a better understanding now of the hard work it takes to make our trails ride-able. Body's feeling it today!

There like a bear when you guys build again.

Aaaahhhh, the Rock Whisperer himself! Really enjoyed my first build day. Gonna be killer riding that section now.

Have a better understanding now of the hard work it takes to make our trails ride-able. Body's feeling it today!

There like a bear when you guys build again.

ROFL! The rock whisperer. ROFL! You guys did more to lift that rock than I did, dude! Space was cramped and I couldn't get in until it was out! Damn heavy bastid it was though. Would make a killer kicker!

Hang on... Kicker after the berm, into the new section. Hmmmm. Idea..... :w00t:

Thanks Mayhem for the thorough report. Really important to add is that this track needs time to recover from surgery. Post op recovery.

Edited by Pain or Shine

From Friday:

An alternative use for a bike rack - trailbuilder style! Guys with wheelbarrows are always welcome.

post-17716-0-54227500-1333893257.jpg

The most useful tool for building - it's called a McCloud - if you ever find one of these, buy it and bring it along next time. We'll give you a beer!

post-17716-0-78946900-1333893345.jpg

Update - the rains on the weekend wreaked havoc with the top section of the trail, which unfortunately didn't have enough time to bed in before the rains hit. This means that the trail will be closed for longer than anticipated, but for good reason. It also means that more clay will have to be brought up to fix what the rains (and a few inconsiderate back-brake cowboys) did over the weekend.

As for the rest of the trail, it's looking good after the rain. Only in the top section (by the dropoffs, where some riders ignored the logs indicating trail closure, and seemed to have dragged their back wheel through the whole section) was there any discernible damage.

Once again, this will be fixed.

Please bear with us while we attempt to rectify the damage caused...

The good news is that the water run-offs did their job, and diverted much of the water away from the critical areas. Unfortnately the furrows created by people riding on as yet un-finished trails caused the water to do a bit of damage to the new sections.

How very short-sighted pf those guys and gals to ride a trail that's under construction. Do you guys think having proper signs made will work better?