• Front brake Right; Rear brake Left
    • Rear brake Right; Front brake Left

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the "back pedal brake" option?

Sorry! Unlike you I was born in the 90's, so "back pedal brake" is not in my framework of referece. I, therefore, humbly appologise for my unintentional omission of that option.

Stuff it! Who has it anyway?

Edited by Gluteus Maximus

Back Right for me.

I switched from the other way to try and improve my wheelies - more control with my Right hand.

Sadly, I still suck.

Sorry! Unlike you I was born in the 90's, so "back pedal brake" is not in my framework of referece. I, therefore, humbly appologise for my unintentional omission of that option.

Stuff it! Who has it anyway?

Me, on my Silverback Zero.

rear right for me, not for any particular reason. came that way...but it doesnt feel unnatural..

Check most of the pictures of the pros, rear is on the right, same as the gears- front dérailleur left, rear on right. Logical! Although my track bikes are set up differently!

Nothing logical about that! Logic is having your strong hand, which you have more precise control over, control the most important brake, the front!

Your logic seems to be set up differently too because track bikes don't have brakes or gears so I don't know how yours can be set up differently, logically?

tankman: how this for a bit of logic: 70% of your braking power comes from the front brake. So given it's disproportionate amount of stopping power, why not make your weaker hand it's controller. White knuckling the front in a corner could be disastrous. But if you dont need that much stoppin power, then feather with the rear brake using your stronger hand.

Although my track bikes are set up differently!

Your track bikes have gears and brakes? Ok.

Check most of the pictures of the pros, rear is on the right, same as the gears- front dérailleur left, rear on right. Logical! Although my track bikes are set up differently!

That's how my MTB and road bikes are set up. Front brakes/gear shifter - left and rear -brake/gear shifter right.

tankman: how this for a bit of logic: 70% of your braking power comes from the front brake. So given it's disproportionate amount of stopping power, why not make your weaker hand it's controller. White knuckling the front in a corner could be disastrous. But if you dont need that much stoppin power, then feather with the rear brake using your stronger hand.

I wanna be able to modulate the front and have more control. I can do that with my right hand better than my left, even though I'm semi ambidextrous. It's like tryin to brake with my left leg with the front on the left.

Edited by cptmayhem

That is still not logical ...

I can feather or lightly touch the front brake with one finger even when the adrenaline is pumping in those split seconds much better with my strong hand than with my dumb hand.

My strong hand does not screw up!

When grabbing a fist full of brakes suddenly and unexpectedly, with my dumb hand on the rear, worst that can happen is the rear ends up skidding.

Unfortunately that's not the worst that can happen when your dumb hand is on the front brake ... logically ;)

That is still not logical ...

I can feather or lightly touch the front brake with one finger even when the adrenaline is pumping in those split seconds much better with my strong hand than with my dumb hand.

My strong hand does not screw up!

When grabbing a fist full of brakes suddenly and unexpectedly, with my dumb hand on the rear, worst that can happen is the rear ends up skidding.

Unfortunately that's not the worst that can happen when your dumb hand is on the front brake ... logically ;)

hahhah.. true that. then again, i realized my dumb hand is marginally my stronger hand, so rear left for moi.

LOL! How does that work!? :)

works well actually. Most numbskulls never see that snotklap coming.. :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, the stronger, more sensitive right hand controls the front brake.

I'm interested to see that the majority here are set up like that when most bikes come from the shop set up left front.