1. 1. MTB brake lever orientation

• Front brake Right; Rear brake Left
    • Rear brake Right; Front brake Left

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Standard in Europe (same as motor bike) but there is no standard in SA, I have mine opposite to the European setup.

Left - back

Right - front

When I started cycling I thought that the back brake should be on my stronger hand ( I am left handed) and they have stayed like this ever since.

However I think that a commuter bike in SA should be set up with left - front and right - rear. My reasoning is that if you hit a car's mirror your brake may be activated. If it is the front brake you could go "endo". BTW - this happened to me a few months ago. Luckily I ended up on the pavement and not under the car.

all depends on how you started riding ... if you bought a bicycle and started riding it would be however the bike came from the manufacturer/shop

If you from a MotoX background then you run back-brake left.

If you from a BMX background then you generally run back-brake right as a BMX only has one brake and thats 99% of the time a right hand lever.

I came from BMX so back-right for me!

cool logic there Fly, but it assumes we would ride on the left of the road as per rules of the road (for dual carriage roads anyway). Except, here in the cape, it seems more and more cyclists are riding on right into oncoming traffic. So not only will their left hand brake be activated, but probably their health and life insurances too.

Both my bikes are set up differently... :whistling:

My take on keeping my brain engaged... :P

all depends on how you started riding ... if you bought a bicycle and started riding it would be however the bike came from the manufacturer/shop

If you from a BMX background then you generally run back-brake right as a BMX only has one brake and thats 99% of the time a right hand lever.

In saying that, I learnt on a BMX, bought my first proper MTB in the UK and they do it back brake left hand side, took me ages and a few trips over the handlebars to get it right, even still I sometimes grab the wrong brake.

I rode MX bikes and Enduro bikes for years and my take on it is right hand rear brake , its my stronger hand and on my bikes your rear break is with your right foot .

I know this makes no sense to many bikers ( motor bike ) , but its how i do it .

when i rode bmx i used my shoes or slophies as brakes

I rode MX bikes and Enduro bikes for years and my take on it is right hand rear brake , its my stronger hand and on my bikes your rear break is with your right foot .

I know this makes no sense to many bikers ( motor bike ) , but its how i do it .

Why do you want your stronger hand on the rear brake? it only skids

Definately rear on the left. Got a new bike recently and was setup wrong way round to start. First ride, into a nice steep corner, instinctively grabbed the left and did a superman. Have changed it to the correct way now.