Shifting indicators or not (MTB)

Gluteus Maximus

Hey guys!

What setup do you guys ride? with gear indicators or not? I am considering removing them from my XT drivetrain, for brake lever positioning.

Do you get lost in the rear gears?

Thanks!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys!

What setup do you guys ride? with gear indicators or not? I am considering removing them from my XT drivetrain, for brake lever positioning.

Thanks!

Haven't removed it, too lazy. But, levers are at such angle that I'll have to stop to have a proper look. Only ever got lost in the woods, never on the rear cluster

Hey guys!

Thanks!

Remove, remove, remove...... almost as bad as bar ends or 29" wheels...... quickly, take them off before someone spots you with them.....

Ok, thought so :D

Like the comment on the 29ers HaHa!

Is it possible to get only the indicator caps from the local LBS or will I have to wait for backorder? My bike came without the spare caps :(

Thanks!

Haven't removed it, too lazy. But, levers are at such angle that I'll have to stop to have a proper look. Only ever got lost in the woods, never on the rear cluster

I agree with She-Ra.

I do love the matchmaker clamps, so in that case, without the indicator is the only option. A person very quickly figures out what gear they in, or should be in without requiring an indicator. Curious then as to who actually prefers the indicator and why?

Ok, thought so :D

Like the comment on the 29ers HaHa!

Is it possible to get only the indicator caps from the local LBS or will I have to wait for backorder? My bike came without the spare caps :(

Thanks!

The caps are attached to the bottom of the shifter.... when you remove them you will see them (has been like this for 2011 and 2012 versions).

I found a picture for you, see the round cap wedged into the indicator housing.....

http://faqload.com/gfx/pubs/1295775525_r0.jpg

Edited by TheV

what exactly is the point of removing them?

for weight? what are we talking about? like 10g

For coolness? comment censored

For better adjustment? not a major issue in my life

I really am interested

The caps are attached to the bottom of the shifter.... when you remove them you will see them (has been like this for 2011 and 2012 versions).

I know where they should be, but the clips are empty :(

I think the big point is to be able to move my brake levers in.

Edited by Gluteus Maximus

I really am interested

The art. The aesthetic. Cycling, on a road bike or a mountain bike, always has been, and always will be part science, part art. There's an intangible in cycling. In one of my degrees, we actually studied cycling, as it is the only sport where rivals, as in members of opposing teams, will combine to a common goal. Fascinating, actually. But I digress.

The art. The aesthetic. Cycling, on a road bike or a mountain bike, always has been, and always will be part science, part art. There's an intangible in cycling. In one of my degrees, we actually studied cycling, as it is the only sport where rivals, as in members of opposing teams, will combine to a common goal. Fascinating, actually. But I digress.

my bike is like an andy warhol

Full of Marilyn Monroe?

lol no....some people think its arty, but its actually just looks like a piece of ****

edit - looks like cos it needs to be upgraded now!

Edited by Stretch

Remove, remove, remove...... almost as bad as bar ends or 29" wheels...... quickly, take them off before someone spots you with them.....

yikes, u making me shy wrt my recent thoughts on getting bar-ends :(

I'd say remove them if you tend to look at them a lot (you will end up crashing) or if they get in the way remove them... Hell now I need to go and look if I have some on my levers...

yikes, u making me shy wrt my recent thoughts on getting bar-ends :(

Don't be. Bar ends on riser bars, speaks to the art over science part of this sport.

As in, if it works, do it.