can you be fit if you have a high resting heart rate?

I'm 32, resting pulse around 42 or so. A resting rate over 100 isn't right, even as a once off anomaly. The "average" person has a resting pulse of 72 bpm. I recommend you get some tests done. I'm guessing you have a virus or a bug that's lingering somewhere in your system.

Eish, just got back from a very short ride, heart rate was going through the roof and really battling to breath and didn't feel well. I had not been feeling 100% all week, today confirmed it. After 25km I had to stop and throw up a couple times. Feel like rubbish now, I also couldn't understand why I hit the wall after 45km yesterday, and as such ended up sleeping most of the day away when I got home.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been cycling for 2 years now. I use a HRM, my Max is 220. should I get it checked out? It goes from Max to avg quite fast. I check my heart rate before I cycle. It is currently 103.

It's a guideline and not the final word. That said check it out to be safe. I know that mine is elevated because of complex medical stuff incl Thyroid. So be safe, but don't obsess about it

I'm 17 and my resting heart rate is usually in the range of 50 - 55. 105 does seem quite high.

I've been cycling for 2 years now. I use a HRM, my Max is 220. should I get it checked out? It goes from Max to avg quite fast. I check my heart rate before I cycle. It is currently 103.

You sure your HRM is calibrated properly? I have never even hit 200bpm.... but then again, everyone is different.

You sure your HRM is calibrated properly? I have never even hit 200bpm.... but then again, everyone is different.

I can get to 210+ easy. The fitter I am, the higher I can rev.

Edited by TNT1

I can get to 210+ easy. The fitter I am, the higher I can rev.

very quick edit there hey.......

its defiantly correct, I use a HRM on my bike and when training at gym. They say the same.

very quick edit there hey.......

I mis-read your user name, thought you were what I wrote. Sorry.

its defiantly correct, I use a HRM on my bike and when training at gym. They say the same.

You the OP? Get to a doctor and get checked out. At your age, no exercise and sick, you shouldn't be that high.

You the OP? Get to a doctor and get checked out. At your age, no exercise and sick, you shouldn't be that high.

Yeah, I did have an operation a week ago but its been this high for a long time. I will get it checked out, soon.

Yeah, I did have an operation a week ago but its been this high for a long time. I will get it checked out, soon.

Josh .if you had an anaesthetic last week the dr monitoring it would have picked up if it was that high .Even for a young person it might be too high .They will still have the record of the ECG .105 resting is too high.If you are taking meds after surgery it can also influence yout HR.Pain also increase HR

Eish, just got back from a very short ride, heart rate was going through the roof and really battling to breath and didn't feel well. I had not been feeling 100% all week, today confirmed it. After 25km I had to stop and throw up a couple times. Feel like rubbish now, I also couldn't understand why I hit the wall after 45km yesterday, and as such ended up sleeping most of the day away when I got home.

Eish...

Bug in the system there, eh?

The younger you are, the higher your resting heart rate....

Yeah, but the OP's HR at rest is in like a 2year old's zone... He should leave the question to an expert, and get to one asap.