Where do I start?

Shotgun

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that is helpful - thanks alot! Do you agree with the 29'r hardtail? Any particular brand I should be favouring/avoiding?

Lol asking about a 29'er on this forum is basically like getting caught by your wife having sex with your daughters best friend.............. :eek: :oops:

But yes 29'ers do make excellent stage race bikes, you wont get a decent dual suspension for that price range, so yes if you cant afford a 26" or 29" dually then get a 29 hardtail bike.

Lol asking about a 29'er on this forum is basically like getting caught by your wife having sex with your daughters best friend.............. :eek: :oops:

But yes 29'ers do make excellent stage race bikes, you wont get a decent dual suspension for that price range, so yes if you cant afford a 26" or 29" dually then get a 29 hardtail bike.

To be honest, I was getting worried about the '29'r hardtail' in that I somehow skipped a chapter of the Kama Sutra. :mellow:

I somehow skipped a chapter of the Kama Sutra. :mellow:

It's not a whole chapter. Just a parenthesis between the chapter entitled Crazy Monkey Style and the one called How To Make Your Concubine Into Your Wife.

It's not a whole chapter. Just a parenthesis between the chapter entitled Crazy Monkey Style and the one called How To Make Your Concubine Into Your Wife.

Aah I get you - caught in no-man's land between the hostile and freestyle territory. :thumbup:

Welcome to the Hub, may you experience many hours of happy hubbing.

WARNING:

Hubbing can be addictive and harmful to your health if you take everything here seriously.

WRT your questions, suggest you decide what your budget is (maximum you can spend for the initial investment), then go visit as many as possible bike shops and talk to the sales staff. Don’t buy anything until you have shopped around, had a few test rides and digested all the ideas from the hubbers.

Welcome to the Hub, may you experience many hours of happy hubbing.

WARNING:

Hubbing can be addictive and harmful to your health if you take everything here seriously.

WRT your questions, suggest you decide what your budget is (maximum you can spend for the initial investment), then go visit as many as possible bike shops and talk to the sales staff. Don’t buy anything until you have shopped around, had a few test rides and digested all the ideas from the hubbers.

Thanks for the welcome and advice. That is exactly why I want to gain some knowledge before walking into the lion's den ('bike shops with sales people') so that I can at least decipher with the aim to fine tune the bullshitometer. I recon I can stretch my budget to 15K - all inclusive.

Aah - this is the 'Bib'? I this really necessary? Why not just cycling pants?

http://chavezcycling.com/images/493/1/cycling-bib-shorts.jpg

More comfortable.

Those are cycling pants.

Those are cycling pants. Dude you are funny. If you don't like those get a pair of baggies. Thing is, baggies (for me) are not comfortable. Don't worry by the time you shave your legs all your friends would have lost respect for you!! Lycra is just the start.

Top Fuel: Cool, I will get one (as comfort, I like) - I will however look like a tool! What is the real deal with shaving the legs? I have heard that it is to do with aerodynamics, infections when you fall and for enhanced stimulus during after-race massage. What is the truth?

Those are cycling pants.

Those are cycling pants. Dude you are funny. If you don't like those get a pair of baggies. Thing is, baggies (for me) are not comfortable. Don't worry by the time you shave your legs all your friends would have lost respect for you!! Lycra is just the start.

Top i have 4 sets of baggies you can have them , first time i did a ride longer than 2 hours i was chaffed raw. Baggies might look like mtb attire but they sure as hell are not designed for long periods on the bike.

Edited by covie

Yeah Bib's are much more comfortable, and they dont move around, so less chance of chaffing, Invest in a good one.

What is the deal with underpants - do you get special types that go with these or do you go commando? If the latter, I guess you need more than one pair.