lego

Wayne Potgieter

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are the pictures?!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :thumbup:

Built the prezzie from the boys last night. Hadn't put a Technic set together for a while...it's cool when you get reacquainted with a "building style" after not having done it for a while.

attachicon.gifCJSQXhrWgAE2oHi.jpg

I will take pictures of those that are built already and in the cupboard. those that have been taken apart and stored will need to be built soon. :) just need to finish the building first.

I will take pictures of those that are built already and in the cupboard. those that have been taken apart and stored will need to be built soon. :) just need to finish the building first.

You can always give them to me to build if you need some help...  :whistling:

This is quite a cool Technic set...relatively unchallenging build, but has lekker features like the roof that folds out from under the fairing.

post-1604-0-54681600-1436761194_thumb.jpg

You should never take your kids shopping with you when you're a big kid yourself...!

Conor cajoled me into getting this over a while..."You know you want it," he taunted. :devil:   

post-1604-0-87494300-1436937335_thumb.jpg

Well, so I got it yesterday, and vowed not to build it until I've got around to painting and rearranging the front two rooms of the house that I use for hobbies and stuff....

So, I only built one small section last night... :blush:   

post-1604-0-74940900-1436937358_thumb.jpg

Edit: Must just add my impressions of the set so far. Busy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Building the first set was relatively simple, but frustrating in parts. It feels like there are "loads" on the bricks when the flat bits are "compressed" on top of them. Needs firmness in parts, and delicacy in others, like getting the studs on the struts that hold the platforms up.   

Edited by Tumbleweed

My sons drive a hard bargain. Last night's went something like this: "Dad, how about you don't cook, we go to Grapes for burgers, come home, we'll chill and watch vids, and you build your opera thingie?"

I um-ed and ah-ed a bit, then gave in.

Finished the second book of instructions last night. Was a fiddly build like the first one. And lots of annoying searching for the same slanted 2/3 smooth bricks...even though it wasn't structurally necessary, and I could move on, I fixated and wouldn't turn the page until I got all 56 of them :cursing:

I felt under pressure like Jørn Utzon must have when preliminary work went ahead of the Opera House and all he had in his hand was a clutch of conceptual drawings and a coupla thousand quid for winning the design comp to build it! 

Okay, that's leaning a wee bit towards hyperbole...but, I've been reading up a bit more about the history of the landmark. :blush:               

I dug the dusty Architecture version of the Opera House to get an idea of the scale of what was left to build...and I almost cried...with joy. Some more happy building ahead! :clap:   

post-1604-0-83261000-1437020145_thumb.jpg

post-1604-0-58141400-1437020157_thumb.jpg

post-1604-0-29826900-1437020170_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tumbleweed

Slight tangent...there was something I read on wiki this morning about Utzon and the Opera House that stuck in my head. In South Africa we know all to well about how stubborn pride of people in power can cost the taxman greatly:

Although Utzon had spectacular, innovative plans for the interior of these halls, he was unable to realize this part of his design. In mid-1965, the New South Wales Liberal government of Robert Askin was elected. Askin had been a 'vocal critic of the project prior to gaining office.'[13] His new Minister for Public Works, Davis Hughes, was even less sympathetic. Elizabeth Farrelly, Australian architecture critic has written that

at an election night dinner party in 
, Hughes's daughter Sue Burgoyne boasted that her father would soon sack Utzon. Hughes had no interest in art, architecture or aesthetics.
A fraud, as well as a philistine, he had been exposed before Parliament and dumped as Country Party leader for 19 years of falsely claiming a university degree. The Opera House gave Hughes a second chance. For him, as for Utzon, it was all about control; about the triumph of homegrown mediocrity over foreign genius

Utzon soon found himself in conflict with the new Minister. Attempting to rein in the escalating cost of the project, Hughes began questioning Utzon's capability, his designs, schedules and cost estimates, refusing to pay running costs. In 1966, after a final request from Utzon that plywood manufacturer Ralph Symonds should be one of the suppliers for the roof structure was refused, he resigned from the job, closed his Sydney office and vowed never to return to Australia.[9] When Utzon left, the shells were almost complete, and costs amounted to only $22.9 million. Following major changes to the original plans for the interiors, costs finally rose to $103 million.[6]   

Edited by Tumbleweed

Sorta finished building it last night. Will take the four main segments apart and firm them down later, then reassemble and asdd the last bit of exterior detail. It was a fun build. Surprisingly not as challenging as I thought it would be. The "shells", which I thought would be a bit tough went together quickly.    

post-1604-0-49482800-1437107548_thumb.jpg

1979 Minifig Patent

11421988_837714516338426_238978558_n.jpg

Having spent a bit of time with Lego of late... :blush:, my mind wandered, and I thought about Lego tattoos. The pic you posted, I thought, would make a cool one. Anyhows, so I google Lego tattoos and look what came up... 

post-1604-0-84000500-1437120531_thumb.jpg