Bigger tyres

Lacossie

I just put 2.25 tyres on my dual suspension mountain bike. Although the feel robust and sure footed in the rough they also feel sluggish on hard pack and the flat fast stuff. Am I just imagining this or has anyone done the same.

Interested to know as well.

Got 2.4 mountain kings and want to put a 2 race king on the back.

I know the weight will make a difference,

but how much difference would that make to my ride?

wider tread means higher rolling resistance. tread pattern will also affect rolling risistance... so sorry to report, but it's not your imagination ;)

My 2.2" Saguaro's roll a flipping lot faster than my 2.1" Nevegals at the back

yup! I run 2.2 AKA front, and 2.2 Saguaro rear on my 4X/jump bike. I haven't been on it in a while, mostly been riding the AM bike (2.4 Mountain Kings front and back). Yesterday I went dirt jumping with it and nearly pooped myself because I forgot how easy it rolls, and shows no sign of slowing down without an incline or braking.

Apparently the AKAs are upposed to be the fastest rolling MTB tyre on the market... apparently

so what is a good reliable UST tyre,

rather not get a puncture than save some weight.

Been looking at the race king.

My Mountain Kings are tough and have not had a puncture yet with them

Yep, generally speaking, the higher volume tyres with wider spaced, more aggressive knobblies will have more rolling resistance especially on the rear. Most guys I know run lower profile tyres on the back. Can even be a different make of tyre.

Hi guys

Attached is a study of rolling resistance for tyres.

Width does not play the biggest part, funny enough, as does pressures...

So go fatter and softer, for a comfy ride.

I am considering a Conti X King 2.4 setup front and rear.

PS, just make sure you use low rolling resistance tyres like Schwalbe Racing Ralph, Rapid Bob, Conti Race king or X kings

Rolling_Resistance_Eng_illustrated.pdf

Depends on what type of riding you're doing.

Coming into winter and out of muddy season a nice fast rolling hardpack tyre could be a good choice.

The Geax AKA TNTs have amazing grip on hard pack, and not too shabby in the mud. As mentioned above, they roll like an R off an afrikaners tongue. They also have very sturdy side walls, and are fairly light.

The catch... around R720 each (although CWC might have them for a lot less), and they wear pretty quick, so not a good rear tyre choice.

Geax Saguaros also have a pretty fast rolling pattern. They're a buit more muti condition than the AKA. Same sidewall strength across the TNT range. They last pretty long (I know a top national XC rider who says they last him a whole season).

The catch... Same pricing as the AKAs, and weigh a bit more

Quick one for all the guys rolling geax tnt's....is there another way to fit and remove them from rims other than angle grinder?

Maxxis Crossmark + Joe's Sealant. Got my first puncture in 2 years a week ago.

Quick one for all the guys rolling geax tnt's....is there another way to fit and remove them from rims other than angle grinder?

They are a real b1tch to get off!!!!!!!!

I use my thumbs usually