Saddles : Handmade by Graeme Murry

leeu52

What can you tell me about these Murraytourdeforce saddles? Anyone using it? Seem that he has been making them for a long time? I saw the letter and advertisement in Cycling mag.

Some people swear by them. The reason they swear by them is that they happened to stumble upon a saddle that doesn't hurt them. Most of us stumble across such a saddle in the pret-a-porter realm and never have to look at a bespoke solution.

The question you have to ask yourself is this: What problem do they solve?

I once asked Graeme that at an Argus expo and he was pretty annoyed with me.

I accept that those saddles suit some people, but 99% of us find a pretty decent commercial saddle and have come to learn that the best saddle is the one that doesn't bite your arse. The rider is that with all saddles you have to do mileage before you harden up. Lay off for a season and make a comback and that same friendly saddle will bite once again.

Lay off for a season and make a comback and that same friendly saddle will bite once again.

Not very comforting....I have been off for about 7 months, dreading the saddle..... :unsure:

Please don't, they are butt-ugly.

Sorry Graeme.

Now i want to see it even more.

Luckily my butt is blind so I don't care what it looks like as long as it is less of a butt-killer than my current saddle :)

Post some pics....

http://murraytourdeforce.blogspot.com/

They may have toughened up since I last saw one, but they tent not to handle the rigours of lots of portages well, detaching from the rails. They look quite odd as well, and as we all know, one's bike must look good. That said, those who swear by them will stand on the rooftops singing praise. My Gobi works for me, never had any discomfort, not even on the Freedom Challenge toting 10ks on the back.

Anyone gone old school and tried a Brooks saddle on a mountain bike?

Brett Rightford, winemaker at Diemersfontein, did the Freedom Challenge in 2010 with a classic brooks saddle on a 29er Giant. You must do 1,000ks of riding them in before they get properly comfortable.Apparently then there is nothing to match that. Heavy of course.

Please don't, they are butt-ugly.

[Johan has a comment about form rather than function? What is the world coming to?]

These saddles are great. (I have two) And when you sit on them nobody sees them (who cares?)

They are Freedom Challenge favourites. Covered with softish leather which needs some care (Dubbin).

Johan is correct, there are other commercial saddles that will also work well. These just work very well...

And despite the bulky look (they come with a custom saddle bag that works well) they are not heavy.

Anyone gone old school and tried a Brooks saddle on a mountain bike?

Brett Rightford, winemaker at Diemersfontein, did the Freedom Challenge in 2010 with a classic brooks saddle on a 29er Giant. You must do 1,000ks of riding them in before they get properly comfortable.Apparently then there is nothing to match that. Heavy of course.

Have a look over here: http://www.thehubsa....age__hl__brooks

Quite a few Hubbers having been trying them on mtb's... I have two now - the first one is on my SS, the 2nd, more racy-version, on my softail.

Will never change saddles. But then again - each butt to their own... :P