Why cyclists get killed....

Stuart Queripel

The Russian Orthodox Church had a Synod and the discussion point was if a fly fell in the communion wine was the fly holy or was the wine spoilt, meanwhile outside the Communists were ready to take over Russia.

The lot of you sound like the Synod with one argument becoming more verbal than the next.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i have read through each and every comment and i do agree with some of them... Yes i slowed down from over 66km/h when i came across the cyclist.. definately in the wrong! This stretch of road is a 60km zone! And perhaps calling someone a mooron isnt the way to start a post....

This isnt the only cyclist from this area that i see using a bicycle as their primary mode of transport. And unfortunately a few of the ride without lights and some of them dont even have helmets... Its madness to me... Just this Friday i drove past a motor bike accident that could have been fatal if the biker wasnt wearing a helmet.... i will post a link to the footage soon...

Perhaps i should stop and chat with these guys... Tell them how dangerous it is... I just feel sorry for the driver who knocks one of these guys over and has to live with the consequences for the rest of their lives... For me i will just have to try stick to the speed limits....

Well i have read through each and every comment and i do agree with some of them... Yes i slowed down from over 66km/h when i came across the cyclist.. definately in the wrong! This stretch of road is a 60km zone! And perhaps calling someone a mooron isnt the way to start a post....

This isnt the only cyclist from this area that i see using a bicycle as their primary mode of transport. And unfortunately a few of the ride without lights and some of them dont even have helmets... Its madness to me... Just this Friday i drove past a motor bike accident that could have been fatal if the biker wasnt wearing a helmet.... i will post a link to the footage soon...

Perhaps i should stop and chat with these guys... Tell them how dangerous it is... I just feel sorry for the driver who knocks one of these guys over and has to live with the consequences for the rest of their lives... For me i will just have to try stick to the speed limits....

No need.

Otherwise, a really good post. Well spoken :thumbup:

Yeah, I don't understand why the original post has to start with name calling either.

"Name calling"... seriously how old are you?!

On some over zealous safety evangelists info to educate those who do wrong...

I am at a loss for words... actually I am not... I am weird-ed out how the moderators - like juvenile radio DJ's - try to direct sentiment to their own subjective point of view...

You are all entitled to your opinion... The guy is a MORON!!! oooh i "name-called"... Leave the idiot to learn his lesson - my opinion...

I wonder at the commentators of news events: why the hell do 99.9999% - a statistic i made up :) - of people watch the news when they do diddly squat with the information garnished...

There are loads of things that need fixing: some chump on a bike who does not understand the value of visibility surely does so purposefully - my opioion - and therefore your words fall on deaf ears... rather spend your time trying to fix things that really matter: I will not presume to know what matters to you... so I will not try and direct your opinion...

I would like to thank @StuQ922 for posting this... thanx for not knocking the "chump" - ohhhh more name calling - over!... but also thanx for sharing your opinion.

If we all agree with moderators then we should just let them run the show... this sounds like something else??? not sure what it is?

Good on you OP, completely irresponsible to ride without being visible, the guy is a MORON.

Informal .

a person who is notably stupid or lacking in goodjudgment.

Edited by scotty

In mitigation. The lad is only a moron if he does that kind of thing on a regular basis. It could perhaps be that he planned to be off the road by sunset but was delayed for some reason and now he faces a once off ride at in order to get home. He was possibly as scared as you were judgemental??

Or, if its in the morning, he had a breakdown or something and his only option to get where he had to be was by bicycle without lights. Granted, it is a silly thing to do but maybe there weren't any other options. Life is full of hard choices and maybe the choice one takes in a given situation is possibly not the best one

While you are throwing stones.... Ready to catch a few as well?

Your video, indicating speed and location (66km/h & :

post-28936-0-60020200-1335120457.jpg

From the video, and this aerial photo, the area seems pretty residential. Surely the speed limit is 40, or at a stretch 60km/h?

post-28936-0-13828600-1335120832.jpg

Heman the only place where we would have a speed limit of 40 in SA is at school crossings, for the rest of the residential and suburbun areas your between 60 / 70 / 80 depending on the road and the area. and 66 in a 60 zone is not over the limit actually 69 in a 60 zone is still within the limit, take that and the fact that 99% of cars are detuned by at least 7kmh, he was actually going less than 60 in all probability.

This guy on the bike is a total tjop, and he should get his brans splat all over the road, just please dont post it on the hub when that happens becuase then we have to sit through another 50 page thread on motorists being the source of all evil while the poor innocent cyclists are just targets and can do no wrong.

Or, if its in the morning, he had a breakdown or something and his only option to get where he had to be was by bicycle without lights. Granted, it is a silly thing to do but maybe there weren't any other options. Life is full of hard choices and maybe the choice one takes in a given situation is possibly not the best one

YES!

I assume everybody here would have been fine with the bloke pushing his bike along the road in the dark?

So, OP, did you stop and attempt to educate the rider?

My biggest problem with this thread is the need to post this and call the guy names. If you really feel strongly about it, and you didn't at least try and talk to the guy, you don't really have a leg to stand on.

Short memory BoB, remember the incident posted on the Hub where a female cyclist mentioned to 2 riders riding in the dark that they should get lights. She was sworn at told to mind her own business and quite a number of hubbers at the time agreed with the 2 cyclists stating its none of her business. Fact is a lot of people do not like being told what to do.

Edited by scotty

While you are throwing stones.... Ready to catch a few as well?

Your video, indicating speed and location (66km/h & :

post-28936-0-60020200-1335120457.jpg

From the video, and this aerial photo, the area seems pretty residential. Surely the speed limit is 40, or at a stretch 60km/h?

post-28936-0-13828600-1335120832.jpg

This is EXACTLY my argument with every damn motorist that hoots at me for single file violations - Every one is speeding in a residential area, has an unroadworthy car, or is probably drunk driving home at 5am in the morning.

PS @ Greyskull: Almost the entire length of Chapmans Peak Drive is 40kmh.

eccentric said it earlier - this post is getting hijacked by the OP's 6 ks per hour over the speed limit - the fact is that those of us who actually drive within the speed limit are an endangered species - and we all at some point or other do exceed it. The fact of the matter is that the norm for the average south african is to drive about 80 in a 60 km/h zone - Fact - so what the OP was trying to convey was that taken that fact - he is being stupid (unless he did have a problem and lost time)

Edited by Stretch

Heman the only place where we would have a speed limit of 40 in SA is at school crossings, for the rest of the residential and suburbun areas your between 60 / 70 / 80 depending on the road and the area. and 66 in a 60 zone is not over the limit actually 69 in a 60 zone is still within the limit, take that and the fact that 99% of cars are detuned by at least 7kmh, he was actually going less than 60 in all probability.

This guy on the bike is a total tjop, and he should get his brans splat all over the road, just please dont post it on the hub when that happens becuase then we have to sit through another 50 page thread on motorists being the source of all evil while the poor innocent cyclists are just targets and can do no wrong.

I wanted to answer with a measured & rational response, but realised that your sphincter actually acts as a sound proofing & oxygen limiting device to your brain so I will not

eccentric said it earlier - this post is getting hijacked by the OP's 6 ks per hour over the speed limit - the fact is that those of us who actually drive within the speed limit are an endangered species - and we all at some point or other do exceed it. The fact of the matter is that the norm for the average south african is to drive about 80 in a 60 km/h zone - Fact - so what the OP was trying to convey was that taken that fact - he is being stupid (unless he did have a problem and lost time)

Indeed, the value of the post has been lost in the frantic need to find fault with the motorist.

If I was a new cyclist and perhaps did not understand the issue of riding in the dark, I would find the video very informational, people here seem to forget that because they have years of experience and understand traffic issues, everyone does, but its not so, new riders may not quite understand and if it saves someone getting run over by making them go out and buy some lights and reflective clothing, I think its an excellent post, but hey, that's just me, obviously in the minority.

Crap!! I have lights (front and back) fitted to both my Mtb and Roadbike during winter. During summer times I always have rear lights on both my bikes at all times. This is to ensure that I'll be visible should I be caught in low visibility conditions.

To make all kinds of excuses FOR NOT HAVING LIGHTS FITTED/BEING VISIBLE, is really assinine and short sighted.

This cyclist is a chop of note, and the OP did well to avoid him.

STOP BEING SO HOLIER THAN THOUGH. THE CYCLIST IS A MORON FOR BEING SO IRRESPONSIBLE WITH HIS OWN AND OTHER PEOPLES LIVES!!

Jeesh, sometimes you people can peeve me off with your schoolyard (read juvenile) type of arguments/reasoning.