MTB Tires - Which Brand?

Iwan Kemp

MTB Tires  

318 members have voted

1. 1. What brand of MTB tires do you buy?

• Bontrager
    • Continental
    • Geax
    • Hutchinson
    • Intense
    • Kenda
    • Maxxis
    • Michelin
    • Nokian
    • Onza
    • Panaracer
    • Pacenti
    • Schwalbe
    • Specialized
    • Tioga
    • Vredestein
    • WTB
    • RITCHEY

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can you buy Bontrager tyres locally?

Solomons has them I think?! Cycle Lab too

Put some Spesh Purgatory 2.2's (profile l;arger than most 2.2s) on the front of the wife's bike for Mankele. She says they gave much better grip compared to the Conti Mtn Kings.

Maxxis Crossmark Tyre - LUST

26 x 2.25 - 70a - Folding

woah! clicking on that link was dangerous! it added a Crossmark to my CRC basket! :lol:

what would I do with such a skinny tyre?! ;)

Edited by patches

i used to have the M-King/R-King combo and they were ok, but I found the M-King a bit sketchy in loose gravel, as a muddy tyre they were awesome, the R-King as a muddy tyre was average. I now have X-King 2,4 front and 2,2 rear, have not ridden them yet so will wait and see, I bought the bike with them on, but I think they may be good, as they seem like a good mix between the M-King and R-King.

I have also ridden with Nobby Nic in the front and Racing Ralph at the back, and in my opinion that was by far the best combo I have ever used, so I will revert back to that once I have klapped the X-Kings-Unless the X-Kings change my mind. Shwalbe are a bit pricey though for the proper UST tyre, but most people I have spoken to say the Snakeskin is better and a bit cheaper.

Once had Kenda Karma's and did not like them at all for any condition.

Edited by Mackie

I recon, people who buy continental are like people who buy iphone :D they are suckered into marketing and high prices. Maxxis for for the win.

I recon, people who buy continental are like people who buy iphone :D they are suckered into marketing and high prices. Maxxis for for the win.

you recon wrong mate: Currently riding Maxxis,

But the new conti's are better than the maxxis. I use to run Mountain king2's and x-king rear, and in summer x-king x-king, probably the best setups out there on the market. Problem with conti Mnt king (version 1) was that the tyre had a very small sweetspot pressure wise, once you got the ideal pressure they were awesome, but miss it by a little bit and they sucked.

Youll also find that most crossmark fans are up in Jozi, you do see some people in the cape use them on the rear in summer, but few and far between. They dont hold up to cape weather and terrain. some of the real race snakes do chance them. I have had good results on the maxxis Ikon and Aspen in summer but still nowhere near as good as the conti's are. the winning XC combinations for me are

X-king/X-king

Rocket Ron/Raching ralph

sugauro/X-king

And then only ikon/aspen

Edited by covie

you recon wrong mate: Currently riding Maxxis,

But the new conti's are better than the maxxis. I use to run Mountain king2's and x-king rear, and in summer x-king x-king, probably the best setups out there on the market. Problem with conti Mnt king (version 1) was that the tyre had a very small sweetspot pressure wise, once you got the ideal pressure they were awesome, but miss it by a little bit and they sucked.

Youll also find that most crossmark fans are up in Jozi, you do see some people in the cape use them on the rear in summer, but few and far between. They dont hold up to cape weather and terrain. some of the real race snakes do chance them. I have had good results on the maxxis Ikon and Aspen in summer but still nowhere near as good as the conti's are. the winning XC combinations for me are

X-king/X-king

Rocket Ron/Raching ralph

sugauro/X-king

And then only ikon/aspen

In your opinion how much better are the X-Kings than the MTN?Race King?

In your opinion how much better are the X-Kings than the MTN?Race King?

Much much better, great balance between grip rolling resistance, and shedding mud. found the raceking excellent rolling resistance, but poor grip, old mtn king too sketchy if not setup properly. The new mtn king 2 has suprising good grip and rolling resistance too, but its a bit of overkill in most situations. x-kings are alot like rocket ron's but i find they are more predicatable, better sidewalls and they last longer.

Edited by covie

Much much better, great balance between grip rolling resistance, and shedding mud. found the raceking excellent rolling resistance, but poor grip, old mtn king too sketchy if not setup properly. The new mtn king 2 has suprising good grip and rolling resistance too, but its a bit of overkill in most situations. x-kings are alot like rocket ron's but i find they are more predicatable, better sidewalls and they last longer.

Shot for the feedback, I'll report back once I have given mine a whirl

i used to have the M-King/R-King combo and they were ok, but I found the M-King a bit sketchy in loose gravel, as a muddy tyre they were awesome, the R-King as a muddy tyre was average. I now have X-King 2,4 front and 2,2 rear, have not ridden them yet so will wait and see, I bought the bike with them on, but I think they may be good, as they seem like a good mix between the M-King and R-King.

I have also ridden with Nobby Nic in the front and Racing Ralph at the back, and in my opinion that was by far the best combo I have ever used, so I will revert back to that once I have klapped the X-Kings-Unless the X-Kings change my mind. Shwalbe are a bit pricey though for the proper UST tyre, but most people I have spoken to say the Snakeskin is better and a bit cheaper.

Once had Kenda Karma's and did not like them at all for any condition.

I'm riding with the Nobby Nics 2.25, on both my hardtail & DS and what an awesome tyre. I run the snakeskin versions, so far no probs. Buycle or Easybike seem to have the best prices on these. I use to run MTN King up front.

I'm riding with the Nobby Nics 2.25, on both my hardtail & DS and what an awesome tyre. I run the snakeskin versions, so far no probs. Buycle or Easybike seem to have the best prices on these. I use to run MTN King up front.

Runing NN rear and Hans Dampf front. Very impressed so far