What to do, no training for 6 weeks

I contacted a virus which has created an erratic heart beat. They can not shock it as it is too irregular. Cardiologist says no sport or training for 6 weeks, then we will evaluate.

First problem is how do I try and keep my fitness and sanity.

Second challenge,I will have 2 moths to get back into shape for Transbaviaans. Do I throw in the towel now and let my partner find someone else to ride with. I am frustrated as hell.Please advise guys. :cursing:

I contacted a virus which has created an erratic heart beat. They can not shock it as it is too irregular. Cardiologist says no sport or training for 6 weeks, then we will evaluate.

Second challenge,I will have 2 moths to get back into shape for Transbaviaans. Do I throw in the towel now and let my partner find someone else to ride with. I am frustrated as hell.Please advise guys. :cursing:

That's rough dude. I was watching supercycling a few weeks ago and Dr Swart was talking about this erratic heartbeat as a result of a virus. It sounds pretty serious and definitely should be taken seriously.

My advice to you, as hard as it sounds, is to opt out of the Trans Baviaans. It will do nothing other than add pressure extra to you to get better and start training. Your main objective now is to heal 100% so that you have no long lasting effects from the virus.

Perhaps you can swim or walk? Something less strenuous on your heart?

Best of luck!

Edited by Zula

That's rough dude. I was watching supercycling a few weeks ago and Dr Swart was talking about this erratic heartbeat as a result of a virus. It sounds pretty serious and definitely should be taken seriously.

My advice to you, as hard as it sounds, is to opt out of the Trans Baviaans. It will do nothing other than add pressure extra to you to get better and start training. Your main objective now is to heal 100% so that you have no long lasting effects from the virus.

Best of luck!

Swimming is also out, I can do so short walks. Not going to maintain my fitness levels.

your heart and health is far more important that doing any transbaviaans. rest and make sure you're well. You can always get your fitness back once you're healthy.

Best of luck!

Thanks, I will contact Dr Swart at the sports institute.

Tough scenario.

TB is definitely out.

Safety first.

Give your system enough time to flush out the virus.

Any exercise during this time can cause permanent damage to heart tissue which can affect your health permanently.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I had the same problem end of last year. Best is to take the 6 weeks off and forget about any training whatsoever. You'll be taking the risk of complicating things even further and might end up having to take even more time off. Take the time to spend quality time with your "better" half. I wasn't even allowed to do the Big Walk.

Good luck with you recovery. I know how tough it is.

PS. 1.5 months after I got back on the bike, I broke my wrist (another 6weeks of the bike)

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I had the same problem end of last year. Best is to take the 6 weeks off and forget about any training whatsoever. You'll be taking the risk of complicating things even further and might end up having to take even more time off. Take the time to spend quality time with your "better" half. I wasn't even allowed to do the Big Walk.

PS. 1.5 months after I got back on the bike, I broke my wrist (another 6weeks of the bike)

There ya go. Someone with experience to tell a story.

The broken wrist. Yikes! Tough!

this is a real bummer I know the feeling well. i am currently trying to get back to fitness level this time last year. i ran a 21k this last weekend 2h23 :( not cool last year this time I was trying to crack a sub 2

best to listen dude otherwise we gonna be doing a RIP and we dont want that

It seems as if this is going to be a year of rest. First I twisted my ankle on a run and could not do IM now this.I suppose it could be worse. The sad thing is that my partner and I were looking at a good one.

Were you also with a cardiologist and what test were done to give you the all clear.

Man I feel your pain and frustration - all the best with your recovery majestic!

I have also been unable to train over past six weeks, but I refuse to NOT do the clarens marathon on saturday, even if I walk most of it with my hurt leg.

Take the hit and opt out of the event bud, no need for additional stress while you're trying to get your ticker back in shape. Watch your diet while you're off the bike in order to make sure you come out of the rest period without additional weight to burn off.

Who is your dr (Cardiologist.) try to go to dr. du toit or speak to chris pm me if you need more details

Sounds like you picked up pericarditis. If your heart rhythm is too erratic too shock it might be Atrial Fibrillation which can be chronic or happens intermittently. What meds has he put you on? Lot of older people have it permanently and theres nothing you can do about it. My advice is rest, no exercise . Whatever you do consult with your cardiologist first. I would wait to hear what he says when he sees you before you cancel TB, dont get your hopes up though. Remember heart muscle does not regenerate so now is not the time to play Rambo. Everything of the best with your recovery.

Thanks guys, so I am not alone. All input and encouragement is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you picked up pericarditis. If your heart rhythm is too erratic too shock it might be Atrial Fibrillation which can be chronic or happens intermittently. What meds has he put you on? Lot of older people have it permanently and theres nothing you can do about it. My advice is rest, no exercise . Whatever you do consult with your cardiologist first. I would wait to hear what he says when he sees you before you cancel TB, dont get your hopes up though. Remember heart muscle does not regenerate so now is not the time to play Rambo. Everything of the best with your recovery.

There is no inflammation. While resting my heart was going from 51 then start racing to 160 then back down to 51 , all in the space of 5 seconds.I saw him on the public holiday, his biggest fear is that it could cause clots.I am on a mild beta blocker and a tablet to thin the blood. Only problem is that I do not tolerate tablets well. My head feels as if I have a ton of cement in side of it.