Correct width of handle bars for mtb

michael

@Cap, I run ESI chunkies on my Ndiza. Took some getting used to at first, as I like skinnier grips... (don't like to feel like I'm holding a cricket bat), but once I'd adjusted I was pretty impressed. I put them on with hairspray and they haven't budged.

Only issue I have seen is the practicality of removing brake or shifters... I fear that when I move all my Saint stuff onto the DH bike for France, I will probably have to cut thise ESIs off <_<

aaaaaah. and there is the rub right there :( thanks for that bit of info Patches. Bit of a mission if it doesnt come off as easily as a lock-on system, but i guess that's a minor inconvenience swopping bars... still abit meh.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would shortening the handle bars on either sides and shortening the stem cure my left hand getting numb all the time? It feels like the "stance" of my arms to the handlebar is a bit wide. There is a slight bend in my arms when I hold the handlebars, but I was thinking if my stem was a bit shorter if it would improve the numbness in my left hand, I don't know.

My frame size is 21.5", wasn't used to the bigger handlebars in the beginning but love them now, just have been getting a numb left hand after a few km's since I have had this bike, I have:

Handlebars :

Bontrager Low Riser, 31.8mm, 25mm rise, 9 degree sweep

Stem:

Bontrager Race Lite, 31.8mm

Edited by FuelEX

Would shortening the handle bars on either sides and shortening the stem cure my left hand getting numb all the time? It feels like the "stance" of my arms to the handlebar is a bit wide. There is a slight bend in my arms when I hold the handlebars, but I was thinking if my stem was a bit shorter if it would improve the numbness in my left hand, I don't know.

My frame size is 21.5", wasn't used to the bigger handlebars in the beginning but love them now, just have been getting a numb left hand after a few km's since I have had this bike, I have:

Handlebars :

Bontrager Low Riser, 31.8mm, 25mm rise, 9 degree sweep

Stem:

Bontrager Race Lite, 31.8mm

Maybe, but I'm pretty sure that won't solve the REAL issue / problem. Try some Ergon grips first - they work wonders.

Stem length and handlebar width?

710mm is the most comfortable size for normal XC riding for either 26 or 29 ... IMO

as Patches and Cap say ... dependant on your riding style and type of riding preference your bar width may change ...

DH - 750-780

AM - 710-730

XC - 680-710

Roadie XC (aka Marathon) - <680

but this is what i would say - but i HATE short bars as im a tall guy. Your MTB bar widths are also not relative to your shoulder width (like road bike bars are) as your hand position is different. Your bars should be wide enough to allow your forearms to be perpendicular to your chest when your shoulders are pushed back and are relaxed (not hunched forward).

Personally id say run a 710 Easton Haven Carbon bar with a shortish 90mm stem if you are about 1.8m tall (like i am)

Thank you for typing out my response. Saved me some time there. Also agree with patches and The Crow's posts.

I have just gone from a 680 to a 720mm bar (using a 80mm stem) with 50mm rise for AM and trail riding. The difference in control is so sweet.

Edited by slick

Damn, and here I have a 640 on my XC bike and I'm going to be pulling the trigger on a 750 later this month...

I don't know how guys can ride with anything smaller than a 640. It's just too narrow! The lack of proper control is amazing to behold...

At the end of the day it's all personal preference and what feels comfy for you.

Like I said and Iron too - 600 just feels right for me

At the end of the day it's all personal preference and what feels comfy for you.

Like I said and Iron too - 600 just feels right for me

Think about this then...

A shorter stem with wider bars can still bring your body forward the same amount into the same position. Just with hands wider so that it is easier to lower your upper body into a low attack stance.

I went from a 660mm Riser to a 580mm carbon straight bar, big difference in handling and control, just a little bit unstable on the descents but getting used to it and prefer it. Will get the ODI extenders when they get here to extend it to around 600mm. Running a 90mm stem as well.

This is on my 26" Hardtail.

Will measure up tonight and report back.

PM so we can hook up please. Would like another opinion. Maybe i just ride k@k .....hahahaha!

Think about this then...

A shorter stem with wider bars can still bring your body forward the same amount into the same position. Just with hands wider so that it is easier to lower your upper body into a low attack stance.

What about personal preference don't you understand , I like my width .

aaaaaah. and there is the rub right there :( thanks for that bit of info Patches. Bit of a mission if it doesnt come off as easily as a lock-on system, but i guess that's a minor inconvenience swopping bars... still abit meh.

No need to cut - take a flat small screwdriver and work it in between. rather scratch your 'bar than grips, lift it a bit and spray Windolene in, do this both side and it just twist off :thumbup:

Nothing lower then 645mm for me. Riser 745 mm atm feels just right on trance.Next bars try some 800mm's :thumbup:

What about personal preference don't you understand , I like my width .

Hey no offense meant. We all know size doesn't matter.... it's all about the motion of the bars :D.

I actually didn't mean to quote you but rather convey my own experience. (I blame the iPad and the heavy duty pain killers I am on to help me recover from two broken wrist operations in the last week - stupid district road accident... )

10 years ago my preference was a 560mm width. This changes depending on the type of riding you do.

Same width as your shoulders.

But move all your brakes / shifters / pop locks / lights / bells / etc in as far as they can go to make sure you don't cut them too short to fit all that stuff on.

However if your bars are narrower than your shoulders, get wider ones, and then cut them as above.

Edit: And get a bikefit. Pref. before you cut your bars.

Edited by davetapson

Damn, and here I have a 640 on my XC bike and I'm going to be pulling the trigger on a 750 later this month...

I don't know how guys can ride with anything smaller than a 640. It's just too narrow! The lack of proper control is amazing to behold...

Yup. I have 690mm on my xc bike and 710mm on the am bike. I've tried the 710's on my xc bike and funnily enough there it feels too long again. Probably because the stem is longer on xc bike (100mm vs 70mm on the am bike)

However if your bars are narrower than your shoulders, get wider ones, and then cut them as above.

Ideally your hands should be just wider than your shoulders, elbows little bend ( more on DH / FR / AM bikes). Straight line from shoulder should graze thumb. Hands closer to in-line with shoulders is okay for XC bikes / riders. Just make sure you stay away from riding with your elbows locked or arms fully extended. This is sure to give you issues in the long run.

Discussing bar width on it's is a bit pointless as it's a combo of bar width, stem length, reach and then ultimately TT length as well.

Then throw in rise, sweep, stem stack height, headset spacers, HT length, stem rise / drop and before you know it there's a barney and someone's bringing a back-ho.

Edited by The Crow