Correct width of handle bars for mtb

michael

@Cap, I run ESI chunkies on my Ndiza. Took some getting used to at first, as I like skinnier grips... (don't like to feel like I'm holding a cricket bat), but once I'd adjusted I was pretty impressed. I put them on with hairspray and they haven't budged.

Only issue I have seen is the practicality of removing brake or shifters... I fear that when I move all my Saint stuff onto the DH bike for France, I will probably have to cut thise ESIs off <_<

Edited by patches

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about what ever is comfortable? I rode a 600 on my 26" and same on my 29", works for me. Nice in tech sections. Feels more aggresive.

Read on a net somewhere a while back that on a mtb the bars should be between 10 and 15 cm wider than your shoulders. Poor handling can also be caused by a bad bike setup ie if you are sitting to far back and there isn't enough weight on the front wheel.

600mm is the way the go for 26" and much wider for 29" imo.

:blink:

Surely it depends on the amount of travel, the type of riding you do, how wide your shoulders are and what you prefer LONG before the size of your wheels?

My 26" bike has 730mm bars and my 29er 690mm (came OE).

This might sound like a stupid question but what should be the correct width of bars for my mtb?

i have straight bars. I am convinced they are to narrow and as a result, i battle to take corners off road without feeling as if i want to eat dirt.

I have tried various tyres, tried different pressures in both tyres and fork to no avail.

Barking up the wrong tree or what?

Cheers

Mike

First tell us:

• Your height
  • What bike do you ride
  • Where do you ride
  • Do you believe everything that gets said on The Hub
  • What type of riding best describe what you do

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_uPlnJz7l1Nw/TSGbok0sNoI/AAAAAAAAAAU/UHl_8jCo3Us/s1600/super-wide-bar.jpg

Edited by The Crow

What I know about these things is dangerous, but my current MTB has wider bars (640mm) than my previous one (didnt take measurements)

It felt odd in the beginning, but man o man, the handling is so much better, especially in the twisty single track stuff.I didnt even replace the bar-ends, and dont miss them at all

If you are comfy with what u have and bike handles well, leave it. If too wide, cut a little (5mm each side) and ride for two weeks and go on like that until comfy.

. If too wide, cut a little (5mm each side) and ride for two weeks and go on like that until comfy.

First move your grips and levers inboard before you cut. This way you can go back when it gets too narrow.

ok - here is some more info.

Im 1.79m tall, 90kg and ride a Titus Racer X with full suspension.

Alot of my riding is done in Majic Forest, Hillcrest, Conties, Meerendal and the rest on the road. It just does not feel right when cornering.

Someone mentioned set up, and i would like to think its correct as my knees are not sore and neither is the rest of my body due to incorrect position. Having said that, it does not mean i could be sitting better.

I have straight bars and the neck is 90mm. Other than that the bike is a dream machine.

710mm is the most comfortable size for normal XC riding for either 26 or 29 ... IMO

as Patches and Cap say ... dependant on your riding style and type of riding preference your bar width may change ...

DH - 750-780

AM - 710-730

XC - 680-710

Roadie XC (aka Marathon) - <680

but this is what i would say - but i HATE short bars as im a tall guy. Your MTB bar widths are also not relative to your shoulder width (like road bike bars are) as your hand position is different. Your bars should be wide enough to allow your forearms to be perpendicular to your chest when your shoulders are pushed back and are relaxed (not hunched forward).

Personally id say run a 710 Easton Haven Carbon bar with a shortish 90mm stem if you are about 1.8m tall (like i am)

run 600 on my 29er . had wide bars but feel like the guy in the pic a few posts up .

ok - here is some more info. Im 1.79m tall, 90kg and ride a Titus Racer X with full suspension. Alot of my riding is done in Majic Forest, Hillcrest, Conties, Meerendal and the rest on the road. It just does not feel right when cornering. Someone mentioned set up, and i would like to think its correct as my knees are not sore and neither is the rest of my body due to incorrect position. Having said that, it does not mean i could be sitting better. I have straight bars and the neck is 90mm. Other than that the bike is a dream machine.

Cool bike. I had one too which now belongs to Slowbee. We are the same height and more or less the same weight.

Re the handlebars: (and without knowing how weight your bar is currently)

I'd go 680mm (660 MINIMUM) and then drop 10mm in the stem as well. Width is not an issue on any of those trails as I ride there as well and have never had an issue. Best would be to measure it tonight, report back on here then we'll be able to give better advise.

In terms of bike set-up. The RX have VERY sharp handling as standard. Steering response is uber fast. Takes a while to get used to and even then it's not to everybody's liking. You will have to counter this with a shorter stem / wider bar combo and even dig as deep as bar rise / headset spacers. The rear suspension has a narrow tuning range meaning you'll have to get it just right otherwise it'll either be too firm or will bob / blow through it's travel.

If you want we can hook up then I can have a look at the set up for you.

run 600 on my 29er . had wide bars but feel like the guy in the pic a few posts up .

600... on a 29er :eek:

do you have T-Rex arms?

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0zjt43uFt1qzxzwwo1_500.jpg

:P hahaha!

600... on a 29er :eek:

do you have T-Rex arms?

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0zjt43uFt1qzxzwwo1_500.jpg

:P hahaha!

dont understand it myself , im a 6 foot skinny ass. and i have done the wide bar thing and it sux for me , never crashed so much , put a set of 600 on and im loving them. each to thier own i guess.