Looking for something DIFFERENT

nigelhicks

Ok ...

So my Chicks in need of an upgrade (her MTB is 4 years old now - still going strong ... but its time for something new)

I have just bought her a set of Easton EA 90s for her b-day ... so those wheels will transfer onto the new bike.

BUT .... heres the problem ... with the 29er craze sweeping SA at the moment its flipping hard to get your hands on a GOOD 26 full sus .... Looking at something that has been "race-bred" as i'm super finicky when it comes to geometries etc.

WONT go for:

Giant - (never been a fan of the maestro)

Merida - ninety nine (looks hideous!)

KHS

BMC - (JUST NO!)

Silverback (or any other cheap brands)

So in our limited brands that are brought into the country I'm left with the following:

Scott Spark 30 - (which is cool ... i guess ... has good reviews ... but i've never been a Scott Fan)

Morewood - (good ... but pretty keen to go carbon ...)

GT Zaskar Full sus - (Similar to her bike now - just heavy for a carbon bike)

Merida 96 - (good bike but old suspension design - being replaced by the 99)

Santa Cruz - (AWESOME but expensive)

The problem is she wants a trek Top Fuel or Fuel EX ...

Trek ... NO 26ers in the country according to Cycle Lab ...

WTF .... there must be some GOOD 26" XC/ Trail bikes around in SA that are not run of the mill ....

Any Ideas????

Something with XT groupo, Reba Fork, Full Sus 100 to 120mm ... Wheels dont matter!

Shot

Nige

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some other brands / bikes that spring to mind...

- Ellsworth Truth (not carbon)

- Yeti ASR-5 (alu or carbon)

- Pivot Mach4 / 5.7 (think the 5.7 comes in carbon now?)

Specialized seems to be missing from your lists?

Oh ya .... but also ... an option ... but humming and haaring cus the "brain" is crap IMO ...

Not asking for much are we..........? ;)

The million dollar question, "What's your budget?"

Sounds like you are looking for a boutique type brand. (I know of a good Teocali that might be for sale. Well looked after and not ridden hard... :whistling: )

I would go Morewood and do a build. Race proven geometry and reliability and you can get a descent weight out of them if you build it right.

What about a KONA? Does it have to be plastic?

hahahaha - its almost hopeless ... as I am probably the most pedantic prick of a man EVER when it comes to bikes.

if its not PERFECT ... it hits the bin ... hahaha.

Intense Carbine is looking good - but like Santa Cruz its FFFing expensive ...

But then again ... like with my Dh rigs - i look at whats been honed on the world cup circuit ... the amount of R&D that goes into those bikes is phenomenal ... so IMO ... if a bike brand is not being (or hasnt been) raced by World Cup Pro's ... its not in the same league.

Thats why Trek is on the list as is Scott ...

BUT ..... :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: no stock of trek .... and im still undecided!

What about a KONA?

Grebel .... are you having a laugh???? thats like saying why not buy a german tank thats equipped with a waterbed for suspension ... hahaha

hahahaha - its almost hopeless ... as I am probably the most pedantic prick of a man EVER when it comes to bikes.

if its not PERFECT ... it hits the bin ... hahaha.

Intense Carbine is looking good - but like Santa Cruz its FFFing expensive ...

But then again ... like with my Dh rigs - i look at whats been honed on the world cup circuit ... the amount of R&D that goes into those bikes is phenomenal ... so IMO ... if a bike brand is not being (or hasnt been) raced by World Cup Pro's ... its not in the same league.

Thats why Trek is on the list as is Scott ...

BUT ..... :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: no stock of trek .... and im still undecided!

Treks are far from perfect actually cant remember when last i had a good review on a trek, everything you read these days say they are twitchy as hell.