Bike rack advice

stefanx

Hi everyone

I recently upgraded to 29er and since then transporting my bike is bit of a issue. I drive a citi golf so need to take the bike apart to get it in the kar (not my idea of fun). I have thule roof racks on the car so i can go that route or i must go for something that can fit on the rear somewhere (i don't have a towbar). I've seen people use the thule roofmount that the bike stand up straight and also the one that you mount the fork when you take the front wheel of. Any suggestions or advice ?? I attached some pics of the ones i mentioned above.

post-31361-0-39848300-1336997421.jpg

post-31361-0-04647000-1336997574.jpg

post-31361-0-87120900-1336997587.jpg

THULE Raceway. I have One. Its got a good Strong Ratchet System, and it locks. You get a hanger Style rack, and a Ride On

post-25017-0-59075400-1337002458.jpg

post-25017-0-53019700-1337002471.jpg

Ive got the roof rack system like in the 2nd image where you keep both wheels on, I love it.

So simple to use and very quick to get the bike both on and off. Well worth the money spent

I've got a Citi Golf and use the Thule rack in the last image to carry my 29er. It fits properly and it's probably the one of the less expensive models.

My only suggestion would be to get rubber patches to stick onto the rack where it hooks onto the bottom of the boot. Without that it will scratch the paint work and eventually remove the paint totally.

The roof rack seems like a good option, just make sure you don't forget the bike is up there. I've seen some horror stories on the hub.

THULE Raceway. I have One. Its got a good Strong Ratchet System, and it locks. You get a hanger Style rack, and a Ride On

If you use this system, MAKE sure the car is clean where the rack rests on the car otherwise lots of scratches!

Yeah. I Kinda figured that. Pity though. I think this rack is a huge improvement on som of their other options if you don't have a towbar.

If you use the roof rack system, the first pic you posted, where you take the wheel off, will be more stable and there will be less movement when you are driving around. The problem is the loose wheel - neither Thule nor Atera have the wheel stands that also mount on the rack and will take a 29" wheel. Which means that the wheel has to be in the car. The Thule Proride (second pic) outsells the other model by 20 to 1 according to the supplier, and everyone I've spoken to is happy with theirs, so it is always a good option. I agree with akneethling that roof racks make me nervous. I just know I'll drive into the garage with the bikes on............. I use the Atera version of the Proride on my trailer - cheaper but not quite as good in terms of quality.

Beware of the "hanger types"like the third pic - some frames don't like being hung like this (carbon fibre especially) and if you have a curvy frame or a dual-sus the spacing doesn't always work and the bike hangs awkwardly or sometimes doesn't even fit. The racks that allow the weight to be taken by the wheels will be better. I didn't know you got a rack like the second one that akneethling posted above - that looks a good option if you don't have a towbar.

Get a towbar, just fitted mine!! i think the ball mounted thules are the most reliable and safest!! a bit more expensive on the other hand!

Ive got the roof rack system like in the 2nd image where you keep both wheels on, I love it.

So simple to use and very quick to get the bike both on and off. Well worth the money spent

Hi SeanN, are these racks safe? Have heard of bikes falling of roofes... please share your oppinion thanks.

The boot strap on rack is a good option. I have different cars so can work. On hatch backs, sean and vans. Very good option for the future changes in cars and if want to use a mates car or use rental.

I have the Thule one and not had a problem with the different cars and different speeds.

I don't know what frame you have, but Carbon is not meant to be hung by the frame! I have the Thule G2 or 3 for the tow bar and the roof rack system for 4 bikes like in the 2nd image with the bar that clamps on the down bar and leaves the wheels on! Brilliant! 30 seconds to load my bike and never had a problem!

• 2 months later...

The Thule Raceway 9003 "second pic of akneethling" will it work on my Chevrolette Aveo Sedan? Because i just bought a dual suspention mtb, my current bootrack where the bikes just hangs on, doesnt work anymore?

What kind of car do you drive? I've got a Chev Aveo Sedan? and looking for a rack like the Thule Raceway 9003?

You should have a look at the Thule 594XT Sidearm

Very easy and simple to use.

Sidearm clamps and locks down the front wheel and ratcheting wheel strap quickly secures back wheel to tray.

You get maximum frame protection with this upright roof-mounted bike carrier as it makes contact with wheel only.

The bike gets loaded on within 10 seconds

It fits all Mtb size wheels

post-26080-0-93325800-1339347599.jpg

Edited by heed0

Go for number 3. I've got 2 of them and it works 100% for a 29er frame. Got a good deal from Cyclehouse in Pta for the whole setup.