dear mrclean, have you never heard of the north shore or wistler or wales? ...

debullet

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Richtersveld

Correct. Its sad how few people actually know what is in their own country... I have been all over Europe, and SA is just as beautifull, if not even more beautiful.

Guest Omega Man

By the way, have your ridden here yet? Its in SA by the way....

I must have a very warped view of great Mountain biking cos that is the EXACT opposite of good Mountain Biking to me. It's a featureless road in a hot dry dusty place.

Judging by the amount of people that had to get off at the technical bits during Sani and other events, is there not just an explosion of off-road riders/ dirt roadies as opposed to mountain bikers?

Most of our events contain very little single track of technical nature.Maybe one or two sections where you get off your bike and walk.The rest is jeep track.Fire Breaks.Gravel road etc.So that when a course like Sani comes along with tons of single track they are buggered

An example would be the old Magoebaskloof Classic or Sabie Classic.No technical stuff to speak of.

Most of our events contain very little single track of technical nature.Maybe one or two sections where you get off your bike and walk.The rest is jeep track.Fire Breaks.Gravel road etc.So that when a course like Sani comes along with tons of single track they are buggered

An example would be the old Magoebaskloof Classic or Sabie Classic.No technical stuff to speak of.

So technically its not really mountain biking, maybe a new classification is needed?

Guest Omega Man

So technically its not really mountain biking, maybe a new classification is needed?

Dirt Roadie. It already exists.

Judging by the amount of people that had to get off at the technical bits during Sani and other events, is there not just an explosion of off-road riders/ dirt roadies as opposed to mountain bikers?

Thats what I'm getting at, there is such an explosion of new riders they havn't learnt how to ride technical bits yet.

Correct. Its sad how few people actually know what is in their own country... I have been all over Europe, and SA is just as beautifull, if not even more beautiful.

Where is Richteveld?

I must have a very warped view of great Mountain biking cos that is the EXACT opposite of good Mountain Biking to me. It's a featureless road in a hot dry dusty place.

Featureless.... That my friend, says it all...

Edited by Octavian

Dirt Roadie. It already exists.

The name yes, but they need to be riding in a class/ catergory of their own.

My son spent 3 months last year studying and Cytec in Manchester and cycling in Wales etc.He tooks his Zula over

He says the routes in Wales are far more technical,rooty,rocky than what is on 90% of the events in RSA.There are a few which are challenging in some areas.That last downhill rocky gully at the end of Lionman springs to mind

I suspect that the Alps would be far more demanding as well

And when its wet you still ride

Where is Richteveld?

North Western part of Northern Cape. Its a world heritage site. (Or as other people call it, a dry dusty place) Seems like foreigners place more value on our natural areas...Pretty sad...

Edited by Octavian

Crap. Typo's happen when you rant and rave after a few drinks.

Yeah, you just shouldn't.

what?

rant and rave, or drink?