dear mrclean, have you never heard of the north shore or wistler or wales? ...

debullet

No, it doesn't hey! Apparently it took a hippy with a name like Bamboo Willow or something who put forward the name "mountain bike" to Charlie Kelly and he and Fisher named their company "MountainBike".

I can't remember the exact details, but there is a recorded use of a phrase which translates from German into "mountain bike" about 150 year prior to this though.

NIce reply, thanks :thumbup: This is info I would like to know more about, is there good book I can get to learn more about this, or a website to broaden my cycling knowledge and to learn more of the history of the sport.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite, they only became really popular later on, the Diamond Back's were the bomb, most guys had Nishiki Altron's, the Ritchey's were awesome but for the rich.

The Zaskars became popular late 90's.

Yip .... I had a Diamond Back Axis TT back in 1994-1997 when i raced XC and DH at nationals ... with a marzocchi XC600's ... then upgrade to the DH3's

hahahaha classic ... will try find some pics of that time racing ...

Talking about AM bikes. I saw that Westdene Cycles had two medium 6.6 frames (R8.5k) and even a built up small/med Uzzi (R40k before discount).

NIce reply, thanks :thumbup: This is info I would like to know more about, is there good book I can get to learn more about this, or a website to broaden my cycling knowledge and to learn more of the history of the sport.

There is an academic thesis turned into a book called "The Birth of Dirt: Origins of Mountain Biking" by Frank J Berto.

Two sites that come to mind:

http://mtnbikehalloffame.com/

http://sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

…and could be the first mountain bike (except not by Berto's definition)…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandy_horse

Back in the day I had a Haro which I upgraded to a Nishiki Altron. Didn't really do any mtb events unfortunately. Kinda kept to the road and purely raced on tar for more than a decade. Idiot!

Yip .... I had a Diamond Back Axis TT back in 1994-1997 when i raced XC and DH at nationals ... with a marzocchi XC600's ... then upgrade to the DH3's

hahahaha classic ... will try find some pics of that time racing ...

I could only afford a Topanga back then, fully rigid, but man what a bike.

Slightly off topic, and this is not for the real free riders and downhill guys, but more for those who try and bully others in to believing they are tough.

Have a look at the birth date, this guy is a "dirt roadie" by definition of the Hubbers here.

He has won so many titles in his life, especially on the BMX circuit.

But alas, my point being, that even at his age now, he would whip ass with most of these snobs who look down on the lycra clad clan.

Hope he doesn't mind me sharing.

post-4100-0-22186100-1337667026.jpg

Slightly off topic, and this is not for the real free riders and downhill guys, but more for those who try and bully others in to believing they are tough.

Have a look at the birth date, this guy is a "dirt roadie" by definition of the Hubbers here.

But alas, my point being, that even at his age now, he would whip ass with most of these snobs who look down on the lycra clad clan.

1961 - that's not so old. Fook it, I only started mountain biking (OOPS) at the age of 41.

(re-post)

just to get the definitions right, so that I know if I must look up to or down on myself - I'm in the Cape and ride mostly at Contermans, Welvanpas, Table Mountain (jeeps tracks & single tracks), Tokai (same as TM), Jonkershoek. What type of riding is that XCO, AM,?

Great links

Thanks for that especially the second one :thumbup:

Yeah, I love Kelly's work! Some great pics there too. Have you seen Klunkerz?

Yeah, I love Kelly's work! Some great pics there too. Have you seen Klunkerz?

I have,but at a mates place.I need to borrow it and watch it properly

Name doesnt ring any bells

(re-post)

just to get the definitions right, so that I know if I must look up to or down on myself - I'm in the Cape and ride mostly at Contermans, Welvanpas, Table Mountain (jeeps tracks & single tracks), Tokai (same as TM), Jonkershoek. What type of riding is that XCO, AM,?

Depends, do you ride in lycra or baggies?

How much travel on your forks for furks sake? :ph34r: if it's less than 140mm your a sissie...

If your pedals has "egg" instead of "candy" in it's name then your a dirt-roadie for shure...

Edited by TheV

ya they were ... the true temper DB's were insane though ... loved mine ...

this is from 1995 ... racing DH at Cascades National in PMB ... and crossing the finish bridge that Mike Van Zyl (gregs old mechanic from Honda days) ... faceplanted.

Good times ... that was proper MTB ... like Danger Dassie said ... XC and DH all on the same rig ... ok tracks have evolved since then as have the bikes and thats awesome for us ... but the segregation it has caused is sickening

post-16861-0-81832500-1337668510.jpg

post-16861-0-39918000-1337668553.jpg

Name doesnt ring any bells

Quite cool aint it, the name won't ring any bells with many, yet Ned Overend hails him as one of the greatest mountain bikers of all time.